Middle armrest as foot rest?

Old May 1, 2011, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Middle armrest as foot rest?

Quite frequently when I am in first I have one of the passengers behind me using the armrest between me and my seat mate as a footrest - with shoes off and stinky toes poking forward. I assume this is bad etiquete (sp?) on flights or is this acceptable? On flight from SLC to LAX now and have an aroma of twelve hour smelly sock from 3A. Never mind the fact that because of Ms. easton's spirit, there are other pax induced sheenas going on. Can't wait to get home.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Surfing the net on the same aforementioned flight and, being superstitious, I will gladly put up with some sheenas and smelly feet hearing the news that Osama Bin Laden was finally taken care of!
Old May 1, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold
That's just plain gross. The only time I've ever done that was back in the days (80's-early 90's) of non-packed F, if I knew both seats in front of me were empty. Some people seem to go out of their way to antagonize everyone around them.

I'm sure we'll have someone who says something like "I'm 6'6, and just can't get comfortable unless my feet are straight out in front of me, and the poor schlemiel in front of me should have brought along nose plugs if he didn't want to smell my feet, so there".
Old May 1, 2011, 11:20 pm
Suspended

You are lucky that you met your first intruder. I have seen this more than a few times. The worst was in Biz on the EWR-DEL no-stop. I saw the foot right in front of my face when I woke up during the flight. I asked the FA to tell the passenger to refrain. It happened two more times during the flight.
Height does not give one the right to introduce others to their foot.
Your needs are your problem. You can't solve yours by thrusting yours upon me.

Last edited by Yaatri; May 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm
Old May 1, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I have faced that many times on DL & NW. Even had people from Coach put their feet on my FC arm rest on NW flights. I have learned the best approach is to call the flight attendant and share your displeasure with them. They can handle the passengers better than having a confrontation with fellow passengers.

The last time I mentioned this to someone on a PMNW aircraft, he got so upset that he started kicking my FC seat from Coach. Good thing there were free seats in row 1 and I moved to that.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Had this last week on a DL TATL flight:

Old May 2, 2011, 1:30 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I have never seen this happen, but if I do, I'd be tempted to tickle that persons foot or maybe play "this little piggy went to market". Then I would immediately go wash my hands. I'm sure that would get my point across.
Old May 2, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have DVTs in my left leg which means I need to keep this leg elevated. However, I never intrude into other's space and carefully select seats with this concern as a priority.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I'd "accidentally" crack his ankle with the buckle of your seat belt when you take it off to get up to go to the lav. This seems like it would be painful.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Just nonchalantly move your arm back so your elbow bumps into the foot. Usually they get the message. Otherwise, the FA can resolve it.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
What would be so hard about politely asking the person to lower their foot? It isn't that big a deal that you should suffer or endure but do absolutely nothing other than run here to whine about it after the fact.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Flyingdevil
Quite frequently when I am in first I have one of the passengers behind me using the armrest between me and my seat mate as a footrest - with shoes off and stinky toes poking forward. I assume this is bad etiquete (sp?) on flights or is this acceptable? On flight from SLC to LAX now and have an aroma of twelve hour smelly sock from 3A. Never mind the fact that because of Ms. easton's spirit, there are other pax induced sheenas going on. Can't wait to get home.
That is DISGUSTING. You are DEFINITELY allowed to ask the person to put their feet down. Your seat is NOT their footrest. If they wanted one, they should get the bulkhead... and there is NO acceptable time to be barefoot on an airplane. Just gross.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
That is DISGUSTING. You are DEFINITELY allowed to ask the person to put their feet down. Your seat is NOT their footrest. If they wanted one, they should get the bulkhead... and there is NO acceptable time to be barefoot on an airplane. Just gross.
Not true. On trans-oceanic flights one's feet can swell, making shoes uncomfortable. I fly trans-Pacific several times per year and many people remove their shoes on these flights. Some airlines, especially those based in Asia, give you slippers in business/first class, meaning they expect you to take off your shoes.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by KarlJ
What would be so hard about politely asking the person to lower their foot? It isn't that big a deal that you should suffer or endure but do absolutely nothing other than run here to whine about it after the fact.
I did ......and after the third time in was not that polite anymore.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by KarlJ
I did ......and after the third time in was not that polite anymore.

However, to me, anyone who thinks that they can do that is an a$$ even the first time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.