Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"There are 50 to 55 planes ahead of us to take off..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"There are 50 to 55 planes ahead of us to take off..."

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jpmardini
Haha great idea! Actually the passenger didn't come up on the first announcement. She had to say it again. The man asked why he couldn't store his bag there, and she said because that's my spot, you have the rest of the plane. ^
^^^ Just put than anywhere.....

Did you make it out? I saw some planes leave during that hole in the weather. It's nasty out.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by elkapong
50-55 is pretty long. At JFK that wouldn't surprise me... but at LGA it does.
Wow! Unbelievable! There is lots of the aircraft are awaited for takeoff from LGA.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Wonder why that flight is showing final vector into ATL...

Cloudy and mid-60s up here near BOS.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I definitely think 50-55 planes taxiing for takeoff at LGA is an exaggeration. First of all, there is nowhere at LGA to put those planes. If rwy 13 is in use, per the other poster, even if you taxied down the length of 13/31 to 4/22, then left along 4/22, across 4/22 and back down 4/22 back to 13/31 you can't fit 55 planes unless they're all jungle jets

Second, LGA has no extra taxiways and no airline is going to run an engine for 1.5+ hours of taxing and waste that fuel just to stand in line. So there's nowhere for these planes to sit and shut off their engines while they wait for takeoff.

Third, and I've seen this one before, you are told by a Captain that you're number xxx for takeoff and you're going to sit at the gate with the engines off until you get down to #8 or less and there's room on the taxiway.

Bummer that the OP taxied out and waited awhile before going back to the gate.

Just my thoughts. It doesn't make a diff whether there were really 55 planes waiting in queue or not. The NE is fubared today. I'm sitting in BOS and taking a flight to another hub after my BOS-JFK flight went delayed (which btw is now delayed 5 hours. Glad I decided to switch while I could).

-RM
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
Did you make it out? I saw some planes leave during that hole in the weather. It's nasty out.
Yes we did. Thanks to all the FT'ers for your help!!!

The rocky takeoff put me to sleep, but we're up somewhere though. The pilot again said 2 hours from take off to touchdown, so I'm guessing we're going around the storms or something.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
On a positive note...we just "cut" in front of some AA planes in the taxi line...gooooooo DELTA! Hahaha
Now that is SkyPriority!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I definitely think 50-55 planes taxiing for takeoff at LGA is an exaggeration. First of all, there is nowhere at LGA to put those planes. If rwy 13 is in use, per the other poster, even if you taxied down the length of 13/31 to 4/22, then left along 4/22, across 4/22 and back down 4/22 back to 13/31 you can't fit 55 planes unless they're all jungle jets

Second, LGA has no extra taxiways and no airline is going to run an engine for 1.5+ hours of taxing and waste that fuel just to stand in line. So there's nowhere for these planes to sit and shut off their engines while they wait for takeoff.
Just in case you are addressing my earlier statement, note that not all aircraft are scheduled service. Throw in a number of small GA planes and it can easily get up to 50. Even in good weather.

As to my delay, it was a clear night and both 31 and 4 were being used for departures. I was parked on Y or CY (maybe even D, it was long ago) between 4/22 and AA, waiting for clearance. Not a place any scheduled jet would be waiting for takeoff ... so plenty of available space. [Also, not flying on a flight plan, I was able to scoot out of NY airspace at under 3000 feet and not mess up ATC's planning.]
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Goodbye Columbus ...

Pilot just came on and informed us we'd be taxiing for close to an hour and half. He says he's never seen this before. I'm on Delta 1847 LGA to ATL.
(933AM EDT)

Originally Posted by DLroads
They are boarding the 11am (1647) which shows already a delay, and it means people there are not going to be happy... they have proactively delayed 12pm depature on 1947 to 1:11pm, and 1:00pm is now delayed to 1:30pm...
(946AM)

Originally Posted by Down3Green
... ATCSCC just released their plan for NYC departure routings and they've designated fixes for North, East, and South, but none for the West ...
(1103AM)

5977 (LGA-CMH; sched departure approx 1100AM; makes up 5967 CMH-DTW) pushed back at approx 1240PM and took off shortly after 3PM
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/T...510Z/KLGA/KCMH

I was waiting on that jet as the first leg of my return trip to IAD, sched to leave CMH at 133PM and leave DTW approx 520PM

the 330PM CMH-DTW was also delayed to where the connection would be marginal, so I called the Plat desk to rebook onto the 337PM nonstop CMH-DCA ... that jet arrived from DCA about 340PM; we boarded about 420 and sat while they put on some extra fuel, and then the pilots realized that the fuel panel wasn't reading properly ... they deplaned everyone (and the pink-tag bags) shortly after 5 while maintenance attempted to fix the problem

as soon as I got back into the terminal I called to get rebooked (either UA to IAD or US to DCA at 655PM), but since the system still showed me as "boarded" the Plat desk couldn't reissue the ticket

at about 545PM someone realized the crew for the DCA flight was about to time out, so they cancelled ... I immediately joined the line to talk to the GA; called the Plat desk back, but they still couldn't do anything

UA was full, and the person in front of me snagged the last seat on the US flight, so the GA put me on standby for the 703PM CMH-DTW (with DTW-DCA at 945PM confirmed in F); she also gave me a hotel voucher and a seat on the 6AM CMH-DCA

handed the GA my Seat Request card at 635PM, and in return got a BP for 1A (on a CR9)

6.5 hrs at CMH ... if I had kept my rental car instead of turning it in at 1230 I would have been home about the time my flight blocked in at DTW

I'm averaging about 85-90 flights a year for the past 7-8 years (which I know isn't a lot by FT standards; esp with only 2 TATL and 2 Hawaii trips), but this is about the worst IROPS that I have had to contend with
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have had situations like that, but only when they change runways. Not sure how they come up with those counts, planes that pushed back or still at the gate etc.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:07 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Hey... it was a major cluster at LGA getting in and out... the folks flying in for the Frequent Traveler Awards (yay DL got one for Best Promotion for Redemption!) were delayed but SMI was in attendance, even UA's COO's flight in was cxl, the folks from Hyatt were delayed, it was a rough day weatherwise... 55 stacked up, I could believe it...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by thezipper
Hey... it was a major cluster at LGA getting in and out... the folks flying in for the Frequent Traveler Awards (yay DL got one for Best Promotion for Redemption!) were delayed but SMI was in attendance, even UA's COO's flight in was cxl, the folks from Hyatt were delayed, it was a rough day weatherwise... 55 stacked up, I could believe it...
ROFL.

So travel industry leadership haven't learned the principle principal of business travel... never trust the travel industry to get you to an important meeting on the day of the meeting, travel the day before.

DISCLAIMER: No, I do not want airplanes flying in unsafe conditions. Yes, the weather was extreme that day. My tongue-in-cheek commentary above was prompted by my opinion that the air travel system (which includes the airlines and FAA/ATC) has allowed a situation to develop where even much more moderate weather can put the system (especially the northeast) into chaos. And no one appears to be taking a leadership role in calling for the necessary advances in technology and the necessary changes in operations to mitigate this problem. As long as they all can shrug their collective shoulders and say "It's the weather, we can't help that" the situation will not improve. </RANT>

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 30, 2011 at 10:53 am
Old May 7, 2011, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Down3Green
jpmardini, I don't know if you stuck with this flight or decided to ditch it, but they keep pushing back the ETD and have now posted 1445. That WX line is really crawling along on a NNE direction. In case you are wondering, the whole crew started their day with this flight so duty time is not a factor for a long while.....that doesn't mean someone down in ATL at the OCC won't cancel it, but it won't be due to crew duty time-out. FWIW, the 1100 departure got airborne after two hours out at 1309.

OK, 55 is probably a bit of a stretch, but I've certainly been in line at LGA with more than 30. The problem with LGA is that there is only one Ground frequency and at busy times it gets clobbered with congestion. Due to the fact that most aircraft push onto active taxiways and require a pushback call and when using RWY 13 everyone will have to cross 4/22, the frequency is so busy that you simply can't ask what you're sequence in line is....if you try to ask, you will be told in classic New York fashion to shut up. You rarely have any idea where you are in the line-up until you get to the #5 position or so and you're told who to follow. If you're in a nice long line on a single taxiway like many airports, you can try to count tails ahead of you and make an estimate, but at LGA when they are using RWY 13 as they are today, there are multiple departure lines on taxiways P, G, AA, BB, CC, and DD. You really have no idea where you are in that mess, you only know there are a lot of planes.

(LGA ground does have a secondary Ground freq that they will use if they have the mannning, but it doesn't help much. The freq is still too busy to be asking any questions about sequence)
perusing google earth, I count 37 planes at lga either at gates or taxiing.
Old May 7, 2011, 11:11 am

How is this Delta's fault?
Old May 7, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
My daughter was on a flight from JFK to BOS a couple of years back when they were number 107 in line for takeoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.