Drink limit on flights??

Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Charter DM / Hilton Diamond
Drink limit on flights??

So I am 3 hours into a flight as we speak from MSP to LAS and enjoying some rum and cokes and surfing the net. The FA walks by and I ask for another rum and coke when she gets a chance... and I get the look. "Well, it's only been 3 hours and this will be your 4th drink. I'll get this one, but it will be your last because I dont feel comfortable serving more than 4 in that time period". OK. So let me get this straight... it is my day off and I finally get to have some drinks on the flight, I am not being loud or obnoxious, It is a long flight and I weigh about 210. 4 drinks in 3 hours is not sending me over the edge... or even getting me a buzz I think she is being lazy and does not want make anymore drinks.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:02 pm

The flight attendant made a proper call within her discretion. She is not the person at the fair grounds who makes a guess at weight and one drink per hour is well known gauge many people use. Many a flight attendants can attest to someone acting perfectly normal and all of sudden they are crazy as can be.

I think you can google some stories....the guy who relieved himself in the galley or the one who tried to leave excrement in the cart or the guy who just took his pants off mid flight.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
[QUOTE=Centurion;16241300]The flight attendant made a proper call within her discretion.

I disagree. She made a call which may well have been within her discretion, but what exactly makes it "proper"? Seems to me that she's more than a little out of bounds. From the OP's info, it appears that he's had three drinks over the course of three hours. At his weight, a normal male will metabolize about one ounce of alcohol per hour. Presuming he's been served drinks with about one ounce of alcohol, he's fully sober and most likely would blow a .02 or less. The FA was out of line, but what's new? That seems to be more and more the case since the new Delta arrived.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Any person who serves alcohol in this day and age should know that they can be held legally liable and/or face employer sanctions if they over serve customers. Although the OP may not have felt intoxicated and may not have even been intoxicated, the FA was totally within her rights and responsibilities. If anything had gone wrong, it would have fallen on her shoulders.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
The flight attendant made a proper call within her discretion. She is not the person at the fair grounds who makes a guess at weight and one drink per hour is well known gauge many people use. Many a flight attendants can attest to someone acting perfectly normal and all of sudden they are crazy as can be.

I think you can google some stories....the guy who relieved himself in the galley or the one who tried to leave excrement in the cart or the guy who just took his pants off mid flight.
Hahaha... Ok man, I would seriously doubt anybody is going to take their pants off mid flight after 3 drinks in 3 hours... Unless they really just don't like pants. I'm not talking even 2 drinks an hour, which I still don't think is too much out of line. I'm calling the lazy card.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The FA is keeping count so the FA is well aware of the situation. 4 drinks is plenty on a flight... altitude and alcohol.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
4 drinks is plenty on a flight...
Says who?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
There are very large variables here. I certainly can believe the OP could do twice this w/o a significant problems (his handle is a clue). While others would already be staggering at 3-4.

It is always the servers responsibility to not over serve. Some have good judgement on this, others do not.

FA's are not hired as bartenders, so if her judgement was off that is really not a big issue.

It was the OP's last drink anyway I assume, so no harm, no foul.

As an aside, on my last E->W TPAC flight when the FA took orders for tea/coffee I ordered beer. She said, but that is breakfast, I replied it is 5 o'clock somewhere :-)
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
Any person who serves alcohol in this day and age should know that they can be held legally liable and/or face employer sanctions if they over serve customers. Although the OP may not have felt intoxicated and may not have even been intoxicated, the FA was totally within her rights and responsibilities. If anything had gone wrong, it would have fallen on her shoulders.
Maybe so, but in all the years I've been flying (and never whizzed in the aisle) I have never been cut off... as a matter of fact, most flight attendants routinely ask if I want another as they walk by and I am the one who says "I'm fine for now". Just thought it strange. But as she was less than available to everyone throughout the flight, I'll assume she did not want to do much at work today. I suppose everyone has those days.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The FA is keeping count so the FA is well aware of the situation. 4 drinks is plenty on a flight... altitude and alcohol.
You should work for the government if you don't already... They always seem to have an opinion on what is best for me
satellite779 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't say I've ever been cut-off. In fact, in the last week I've had a couple of quite generous FA's. On one flight, I ordered wine and instead of bringing me a little wine glass, the FA brought out a big mixed drink tumbler and filled it up to the top. When I finished it, she came back to refill it and I had to tell her to stop before she filled it to the top again. On another flight, I'd had 3 or 4 Dewar's and Diets and was starting to slow down a bit. I had a half glass left and the ice had melted. I got up to go to the bathroom, and when a returned I found the FA had left me a fresh drink at my seat.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
The wine glasses are so small in FC, they should be considered 1/3 of a normal drink
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by LBJ
In fact, in the last week I've had a couple of quite generous FA's. On one flight, I ordered wine and instead of bringing me a little wine glass, the FA brought out a big mixed drink tumbler and filled it up to the top. When I finished it, she came back to refill it and I had to tell her to stop before she filled it to the top again. On another flight, I'd had 3 or 4 Dewar's and Diets and was starting to slow down a bit. I had a half glass left and the ice had melted. I got up to go to the bathroom, and when a returned I found the FA had left me a fresh drink at my seat.
I've seen both extremes, from the FAs that seem like they are trying get me tanked, to the ones that act like each drink is coming out of their paycheck. In at least one of the latter cases, I think the FA just didn't approve of drinking alcohol, and felt that prohibition should never have been repealed. Considering that DL is based in the bible belt, I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are a fair number that fall into that category.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This is just ridiculous.

It's understandable if a pax is showing visible signs of intoxication but to use the excuse "I'm not comfortable" makes me question the motives of the FA.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I had one of my guys comeing back from ANC the other day and I knwo he had a ton to drink. His answer was what else can I do on a flight for that long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.