Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Alitalia and SkyMiles - this cant be true

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum

I'm overseas and the only internet I have is on my bb, so I have been able to do very limited research -- but I can't seem to verify:

Am scheduled to fly, booked through delta codeshares, alitalia from cai to fco to jfk this sat. My company had to buy full y fare bc all that was left. Departing 4am cai, arriving 1:55pm jfk. Full y fare was, I believe, even more expensive than biz class, but they can't buy biz.

So I call delta gm desk to upgrade w skymiles -- they say can't be done.

?!?!?!

This can't be true? Nearly full flight in y, I want to give them miles to sit up front, but they can't take it? Please tell me fters that there is a way?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mbs80
I'm overseas and the only internet I have is on my bb, so I have been able to do very limited research -- but I can't seem to verify:

Am scheduled to fly, booked through delta codeshares, alitalia from cai to fco to jfk this sat. My company had to buy full y fare bc all that was left. Departing 4am cai, arriving 1:55pm jfk. Full y fare was, I believe, even more expensive than biz class, but they can't buy biz.

So I call delta gm desk to upgrade w skymiles -- they say can't be done.

?!?!?!

This can't be true? Nearly full flight in y, I want to give them miles to sit up front, but they can't take it? Please tell me fters that there is a way?
Amazingly, it looks as though they're right (at least about the Alitalia leg). They don't appear on the SkyTeam upgrade site.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:59 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
My guess is that you can't UG on AZ no matter how many miles. Can you ask for a credit to be issued for the ticket that was issued, then use the credit to purchase Biz class? And you would still have a credit left over for future use.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I think you just have to say I will give you One Billion Mille Miglia Skypesos and you will get a middle seat in EuroF.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 7:32 pm

Incorrect - only 50K miles - http://www.alitalia.com/US_EN/millem...ding/index.htm
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't blame DL. AZ doesn't participate in Skyteam upgrade program. You can only upgrade AZ flights using AZ miles.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
My guess is that you can't UG on AZ no matter how many miles. Can you ask for a credit to be issued for the ticket that was issued, then use the credit to purchase Biz class? And you would still have a credit left over for future use.
Usually, the credit follows the mode of payment. Unless the OP used his credit card, it can't be done. With some companies it can;t be done even if you used your own credit card as the company issues a travel authorisation to book. To rebook, you would need another travel authorisation. In situations like this what I have done is not use the company bought ticket and buy one on my own instead.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by fti
Thanks for the suggestion. This is what I ended up doing. Worked perfectly!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:06 am

This is an example of flyertalk at its best.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Usually, the credit follows the mode of payment. Unless the OP used his credit card, it can't be done. With some companies it can;t be done even if you used your own credit card as the company issues a travel authorisation to book. To rebook, you would need another travel authorisation. In situations like this what I have done is not use the company bought ticket and buy one on my own instead.
REFUND is to original form of payment, but not CREDIT, like I suggested, which worked per the OP's report.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta DM; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Agreed!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:37 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
This is an example of flyertalk at its worst.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Nice... I am all about "working the system". Fantastic...Anyway that you can (1) not charge your company more money, (2) fly in a better class of service, and (3) get some flight credit to use personally down the road... that's a win-win-win!

Last edited by MikeyZBT; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.