Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A brief comparsion between Delta Business Elite and Air France Affaires

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.

I had the good fortune to fly business on a reward ticket from ORD to DUS recently. Since the outbound portion was with Air France and the return Delta, I can't resist sharing a comparison.

Cabin: Air France wins by a small margin. The Affaires seat I sat in is not, in fact, a true "lie flat" product no matter what they say. Even so, it is definitely a bit more comfortable for sleeping purposes. I read periodically about Delta slowing upgrading Business Elite seats, but on the DUS to ATL route, this has not happened.

Service, food and amenities: Delta wins by a small margin. I have always appreciated the fact that I am addressed by name soon after settling into a Business Elite cabin. The service on Air France was good, but not quite as attentive as on Delta. I have no real complaints about the food or amenities on Air France, I just preferred what I got on Delta across the board. I would say that I don't care for the "barrel" style amenity kit bag on Delta these days though. I still have and use several of the kit bags used circa 2006-2009.

Airport lounges: Air France wins by a mile. I understand that ATL is the world's busiest airport and that the terminal A Sky Club is being remodeled. Even so, my experience there last Friday was absolutely unacceptable. There was literally not an empty seat. The scene in the terminal food court was more relaxing, free cup of caramel corn or no! ORD and CDG are also both extremely busy airports. Even so, the Air France lounges in both locations were not only able to provide me with a a quiet refuge to relax in both before and after my TATL flight, they also had REAL FOOD and allowed me to help myself to drinks. Who in the world would pay for a membership to Delta Sky Clubs? Flying TATL business class is a rare treat for me, and the experience at the connecting airport is part of it. Delta didn't even come close to meeting my expectations here.

Last edited by Clay_C.; Apr 10, 2011 at 1:11 am
Old Apr 9, 2011, 6:57 pm
Suspended

I think AF J meals are nicer than DL. I like the fois gras appetizer although I think they may have changed that in the past year. I find AF does a good job with fish and chicken, and duck from time to time. I also think the sorbets are refreshing and a change from the sundaes. I guess it is more personal taste. DL BE meals are more American, AF are....drum roll...French
Old Apr 9, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
One thing I really like about Affaires is the consistency of the product. Regardless of the aircraft type, you have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Even before the merger, Delta was inconsistent with the type of seat depending on the aircraft type. Now it's just ridiculous. Even on aircraft of the same type (767 and 777), you don't know what you're getting until you actually get on the plane.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think AF J meals are nicer than DL. I like the fois gras appetizer although I think they may have changed that in the past year. I find AF does a good job with fish and chicken, and duck from time to time. I also think the sorbets are refreshing and a change from the sundaes. I guess it is more personal taste. DL BE meals are more American, AF are....drum roll...French

Maybe that is it, the Delta food offering appeals just a bit more to me as an American. OTOH, the whole AF appetizer plate was fantastic.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Does anyone have any experience with AF vegetarian meals in J?
I will be traveling from CDG-ATL on AF in J this summer with my niece who is a vegetarian. The last TATL flight in Y the veggie meal was horrible.

Traveling on AF in J would we have access to the AF departure lounge at CDG? What does the AF lounge offer in the way of food?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As of January, fois gras was still offered.

I equate the AF vs DL experience to the difference between a european and american restaurant. American restaurants are usually very attentive to the point they are trying to rush you out the door. European are more laissez faire to the point you must request service if you desire it (beyond the ordered meal).

I actually preferred the AF service over the Delta service.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
I had the good fortune to fly business on a reward ticket from ORD to DUS recently. Since the outbound portion was with Air France and the return Delta, I can't resist sharing a comparison.

Cabin: Air France wins by a small margin. The Affaires seat I sat in is not, in fact, a true "lie flat" product no matter what they say. Even so, it is definitely a bit more comfortable for sleeping purposes. I read periodically about Delta slowing upgrading Business Elite seats, but on the DUS to ATL route, this has not happened.
Airport lounges: Air France wins by a mile. I understand that ATL is the world's busiest airport and that the terminal A Sky Club is being remodeled. Even so, my experience there last Friday was absolutely unacceptable. There was literally not an empty seat. The scene in the terminal food court was more relaxing, free cup of caramel corn or no! ORD and CDG are also both extremely busy airports. Even so, the Air France lounges in both locations were not only able to provide me with a a quiet refuge to relax in both before and after my TATL flight, they also had REAL FOOD and allowed me to help myself to drinks. Who in the world would pay for a membership to Delta Sky Clubs? Flying TATL business class is a rare treat for me, and the experience at the connecting airport is part of it. Delta didn't even come close to meeting my expectations here.
It appears you got the old 767 Recliners (or maybe a 330) from DUS and that is a pretty disappointing experience in J. Having flown both AF and DL in J, I would say that it all depends on the aircraft. Flying to LHR or MAD, DL is now all lie-flat on the 764s which are great and I much prefer to AFs product. I think by this fall the 767s are all going to be in the lie-flat configuration which will be amazing.

I think across the board you will find that US Airlines airport lounges are horrid by international standards. Heck, until recently AA/UA/CO charged for drinks at their lounges. For a person who travels a lot, a Sky Club membership is a great value. You get free drinks, 2 guests in every time, free wifi, comfy chairs, conference rooms, showers, access to partner lounges (like ST lounge at LHR, Crown Lounge at AMS, AF lounge at CDG to name a few), snacks, and private workstations. I guess traveling most weeks of the year, I enjoy having all those benefits. I love getting work done and being able to have a drink or two after a busy week. Plus bringing my wife in or a co-worker or colleague is a great benefit. At $300 a year, I definitely get my money worth. Obviously, they are pretty popular since they are full at the busy times so it appears that many agree (maybe too many!) that they are a good value.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
It appears you got the old 767 Recliners (or maybe a 330) from DUS and that is a pretty disappointing experience in J. Having flown both AF and DL in J, I would say that it all depends on the aircraft. Flying to LHR or MAD, DL is now all lie-flat on the 764s which are great and I much prefer to AFs product. I think by this fall the 767s are all going to be in the lie-flat configuration which will be amazing.

I think across the board you will find that US Airlines airport lounges are horrid by international standards. Heck, until recently AA/UA/CO charged for drinks at their lounges. For a person who travels a lot, a Sky Club membership is a great value. You get free drinks, 2 guests in every time, free wifi, comfy chairs, conference rooms, showers, access to partner lounges (like ST lounge at LHR, Crown Lounge at AMS, AF lounge at CDG to name a few), snacks, and private workstations. I guess traveling most weeks of the year, I enjoy having all those benefits. I love getting work done and being able to have a drink or two after a busy week. Plus bringing my wife in or a co-worker or colleague is a great benefit. At $300 a year, I definitely get my money worth. Obviously, they are pretty popular since they are full at the busy times so it appears that many agree (maybe too many!) that they are a good value.

Definitely the 767 recliners on my flight...and I can assure you that you could get just as much work done in the food court as you could in the Sky Club I visited, probably more as you would have had a chance to sit at a table there!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
Originally Posted by slwkf1
One thing I really like about Affaires is the consistency of the product. Regardless of the aircraft type, you have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Even before the merger, Delta was inconsistent with the type of seat depending on the aircraft type. Now it's just ridiculous. Even on aircraft of the same type (767 and 777), you don't know what you're getting until you actually get on the plane.
+1. Consistency. For now pick AF for TATL,but with DL upgrading seats may change.

Also across board when purchasing BE or Affaires ticket, AF cheaper.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:41 am

I think across the board you will find that US Airlines airport lounges are horrid by international standards. Heck, until recently AA/UA/CO charged for drinks at their lounges.
Aside from some premium stuff, alcohol has always been free at CO lounges.

I don't think US airline lounges are "horrid" in terms of facilities at all. But they definitely are lacking in terms of food/drink offerings. AA offers the biggest contrast... some new and downright beautiful domestic lounges, and then a 7-11-like counter inside trying to sell you everything from a cookie to coffee to sandwiches. AA will make you feel downright giddy for any complimentary DL food offerings.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Apr 10, 2011 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Sky Club membership is a great value. You get free drinks, 2 guests in every time, free wifi, comfy chairs, conference rooms, showers, access to partner lounges (like ST lounge at LHR, Crown Lounge at AMS, AF lounge at CDG to name a few), snacks, and private workstations. I guess traveling most weeks of the year, I enjoy having all those benefits..
If you travel every week then you know that the Skyclub post Jan 1 is not what it once was. The overcrowding has reached the point where it is frankly useless. I travel several times a week and I now jump in, grab a drink and a snack, consume them as quickly as possible, and get out for some peace and quiet in the TERMINAL.

What has happened to the Skyclubs is a shame. I would not lay out a nickel for a membership. It is free for DM's and that is the only reason I even try to get some value out of it. On top of this they now sell cheap one day passes and freaking time payments for those who do not have $300...just ridiculous.

Skyclubs are now more hectic and crowded than the terminal. It is a shame what happens when a business takes a product and destroys it by over selling its capability.

If DL eliminated the free SC membership for DM's I would actually be in favor of it.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta
Cool AF is better

My GF and I fly to EUR a lot on AF, KL, and DL. If upgrade is out of the question, I usually pick AF for its much better coach service and food IMO. I find DL's FA to be without question rude and lazy. I mean I wouldn't want their job either, but there's no comparison with AF's courteous and classy staff. With DL you get there, with AF you get there and feel better for it. I'm considering switching to flying blue, but am a newbie at this stuff and should probably research a little more.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaMikeForBizAndPleasure
My GF and I fly to EUR a lot on AF, KL, and DL. If upgrade is out of the question, I usually pick AF for its much better coach service and food IMO. I find DL's FA to be without question rude and lazy. I mean I wouldn't want their job either, but there's no comparison with AF's courteous and classy staff. With DL you get there, with AF you get there and feel better for it. I'm considering switching to flying blue, but am a newbie at this stuff and should probably research a little more.
I tend to agree on the comparison but DO NOT switch to Flying Blue. Some of their fare classes earn little/no Elite Qualifying miles...oh wait, you may as well make the leap cuz it is coming this way anyway
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I tend to agree on the comparison but DO NOT switch to Flying Blue. Some of their fare classes earn little/no Elite Qualifying miles...oh wait, you may as well make the leap cuz it is coming this way anyway
Thanks Avid! Was not aware.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaMikeForBizAndPleasure
Thanks Avid! Was not aware.
Just being a but pessimistic. They have not announced this I am just looking at what they are doing and making a leap. Anyway, I would stay away from FB for now. SM is a better program AT THE MOMENT. Just beware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.