Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

EVP @ Delta called me personally regarding my letter about high Skymiles redemption.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVP @ Delta called me personally regarding my letter about high Skymiles redemption.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
The 90K+ miles I have on UA can get me way farther in a decent seat than 200K will get me on DL.

I spend too much time flying to not get something back for all that time.

If DL doesn't want to take a little initiative and match UA, or at least get competitive, they are going to lose a lot of high fare class passengers to the competition. If DL wants to keep luring in the kettles with AmEx hawkers that are selling credit cards on 25K RT's, keep it up. DL won't have the frequent flyers that pay their higher fares and keep them in business.

It is DL's choice. Lose the best paying customers or get with the program.

Time to quit trying to pacify us with platitudes like "we are working on it."
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by monitor
Do you really believe this?

None of us can use what appears to be a reasonable amount of miles for premium travel compared to the other programs. However, DL cannot afford to lower the redemption levels since they have devalued the SkyMiles into SkyPesos. They and Amex simply give too many of them away to make that practical. As Diamonds, we get them by the bushel and most business flyers (who have no time to use them) are sitting with millions.

We all just need to get used to the fact that a SkyPeso is usually worth at most 2/3 of a *A mile (and frequently less) and get on with our lives. They are not going to do anything about it and really have little incentive to do so.
Originally Posted by Sabai
Oh goody; we get both an update and a positive announcement: be still my racing heart.

Were it that announcements and updates (with just a soupçon of BS) were all that was needed for credibility with your flying public, Delta would truly be Best in Class.

Alas, it's all smoke and mirrors with promises of a better tomorrow...someday.

I believe they're going to fix the award calendar. They stated that they would've fixed the award calendar by the first quarter of this year. That didn't happen. However, there have been Delta employees posting on here saying that something will be announced soon (and I take soon to be within the coming weeks, not years). I also think that if they just continue to ignore the problem than things will just keep getting worse and more elites will jump ship, which will ultimately prove to be less cost effective to DL than if they "fix" something now.

I should have been more clear in my original post. I do not expect them to suddenly say "Hey everyone! It's too hard to use our miles so we're making it easier. We're slashing award redemptions in half...etc etc.". On the other hand, I do expect them to fix the award calendar's issues--you select low it shows you medium, etc.

DL757ATL
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Can't AS FFs book int'l flights with DL, AF, KL, KE, AA, BA, CX, QX, Iceland Air and other airlines fairly easily?

So with AS it's actually best of both worlds: can book on both SkyTeam and oneWorld airlines (though not all, but most of the major ones), in addition to some add'l independent ones.

It seems like more practical options than either ST or OW, from US49 (not so from Hawaii though as JL is painfully missing).
Remember that AS is not a Skyteam or OneWorld member. They are just partners with DL and AA.

Here are the airlines that you can redeem AS miles on:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp

It's a decent list. Of course redemptions on Delta will be nigh impossible, since an AS redemption on Delta no doubt requires availability of Low level award seats and we all know the story there.

David
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
...I believe they're going to fix the award calendar. ...I do not expect them to suddenly say "Hey everyone! It's too hard to use our miles so we're making it easier. We're slashing award redemptions in half...etc etc.". On the other hand, I do expect them to fix the award calendar's issues--you select low it shows you medium, etc....

And their fixing the award calender is of much importance to us, why?

Will there be more availability on the "fixed' award calendar than there is right now and that we can get on the telephone?

It is more important to them that they fix it because we use up so much of their phone agents' time since there is no other way to get an award than on the phone. I would guess that they should have figured that out by now.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Something must be happening though with the award availability. Just 10 min. ago I bought 2 BE tickets from BUF - PEK for 120 000 miles each, for Aug. 31 - Sept. 14. Routing BUF-JFK-NRT-PEK.

Have been trying for months and always getting 170 000 each or higher .
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Can't AS FFs book int'l flights with DL, AF, KL, KE, AA, BA, CX, QX, Iceland Air and other airlines fairly easily?

So with AS it's actually best of both worlds: can book on both SkyTeam and oneWorld airlines (though not all, but most of the major ones), in addition to some add'l independent ones.

It seems like more practical options than either ST or OW, from US49 (not so from Hawaii though as JL is painfully missing).
I just did 20 semi-random bookings on AS various US gateways to BKK various dates, BE. Got 2 offers with Y across the ocean, all other sold out. No calendar for non AS cities.

I am unclear why this is so much better than DL. If I need to call in, it is a pain but I can do so on DL. If I need to book either 350 days out or 5 days out, that does not work.

And most often the status will not work as well.

AS might well be an excellent airline, but I am a skeptic that it clearly works if you are not primarily flying their routes.

Which of course, is likely the case for all.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Remember that AS is not a Skyteam or OneWorld member. They are just partners with DL and AA.

Here are the airlines that you can redeem AS miles on:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...rs_Airline.asp

It's a decent list. Of course redemptions on Delta will be nigh impossible, since an AS redemption on Delta no doubt requires availability of Low level award seats and we all know the story there.

David
...right. I took the airlines I listed from that list (the biggest ones).

It is most of the major OW and ST airlines.

Actually, AS has a stronger partner airline list, IMHO, than either OW or ST.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:49 pm

Here are the main reasons I jumped to UA/CO for 2011 with the main reason being #1. Delta has lost 2 Asian trips from me so far this year. I will not be a 2012 diamond.

1. High skypiles redemptions to Asia. I am tired of seeing 370K for a BKK r/t. I am always flexible when looking for an award ticket but nothing ever seems to come together.

2. Dismal Skyteam partners in Asia.

3. E+ (no longer an issue).

Hopefully something will change soon.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Actually, AS has a stronger partner airline list, IMHO, than either OW or ST.
I'd have to agree with that. ^

And AS has decent award availability on their own metal.

David
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I am a big fan of AS. Its too bad they don't have more flights. They also match Delta status.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Mrs TexasYankee and I are travelling Bus Class RT to SIN on CO/UA for 125,000 miles each. DL wanted 240,000 for each. (economy was 105,000 each on DL) This is disgusting DL...

I have close to 1.5 million skypesos and I still see no reason to waste them. As a Platinum for many years I keep status with personal travel as my job gives "windshield miles ..." Perhaps my money will be spent better at CO/UA.

I am finally taking the CO status match and challenge in July which will give me 1.5 yrs status on CO/UA.

I really do miss NWA!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I just did 20 semi-random bookings on AS various US gateways to BKK various dates, BE. Got 2 offers with Y across the ocean, all other sold out. No calendar for non AS cities.

I am unclear why this is so much better than DL. If I need to call in, it is a pain but I can do so on DL. If I need to book either 350 days out or 5 days out, that does not work.

And most often the status will not work as well.

AS might well be an excellent airline, but I am a skeptic that it clearly works if you are not primarily flying their routes.

Which of course, is likely the case for all.
You have (maybe inadvertently) highlighted the problem -- as a partner, AS only sees low awards -- what you have done is just shown there are not low awards available.

The beauty of AS is you can fly on DL metal (assuming that is best for your travel patterns), yet credit to AS and then redeem on other airlines (e.g. AA). The big drawback has been lower upgrade priority when flying DL. What with all the monetizing going on, that may be less of an issue -- this DM may well be at 25% (1 of 4) by this weekend -- that is more missed upgrades than the prior three years as Plat (2 NW, 1 DL)

I going to have to take a closer look at AS, that is for sure.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
Does everyone remember that nice long interchange that several of us had with "Cheryl Delta Online" almost one month ago, on this board. A couple of posters gave her examples of where the back door to getting "low" BE tickets was working by following the directions posted on one of the top stickies on this board.

Within 48 hours, that back door was shut down by her, and no longer works to this very day.

Delta has no intention whatsoever to solve the "low" availability and award calendar failure problems.

This will still be an echo chamber discussion in 4 weeks, and 4 months, and 4 years because Delta very senior executives falsely believe that being second largest gives them freedom to mislead and mistreat their customers. 2 senior people in Delta IT told me directly that both problems could and should have been solved within less than one day.

They are now with United, who I fly by default when my routes allow it...which is very often.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'm sick and tired of this employee and that exec promising this and that. If I get approached by any WSJ or any press, I'm publishing what they want until I see real changes occur to the DL SM program. Talk is cheap, I'm sick of hearing it for the past 3 years.

I suggest you all do the same.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
As much as I'd like to believe availability of "low" awards will be more accessible, I just don't know how it can be possible. I say this not because I'm jaded, or a DL hater; or a DL lover. I approach it from the point of view of trying to see it from their perspective:
They are used to financial performance of the Skymiles program operating at the level they've created for the past few years. Any detailed analysis will show that something's gotta give if they release more "low" awards.

I just don't see DL management proactively, and willingly, take a hit on that. It would require a wholesale change in their M.O. and business model to have more of those "low" international premium seats available.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but DL is a company in the business to make money, and I don't see how they would be willing to make it harder for themselves to make money as it relates to award inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.