Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 200 ATL-JNB in Business Elite Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Platinum, Alaska MVP

Next week I am flying PDX-ATL-JNB and return on Delta in Business Elite. The ATL-JNB leg is 16+ hrs on a 77L. Has anyone flown this route ? What were your positive/negative experiences ?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by ghillier
Next week I am flying PDX-ATL-JNB and return on Delta in Business Elite. The ATL-JNB leg is 16+ hrs on a 77L. Has anyone flown this route ? What were your positive/negative experiences ?
1. Its not even close to 16 hours going eastbound; its going to be under 15.
2. Yes, its a fine experience. Problem is, as with any US carrier, the logic seems to be that putting/allowing the most senior and experienced FA's to bid on the longest routes that this will provide the best service. This is often quite the opposite and you will likely have a few grandmothers running around trying to stay awake. Many are good, but many are surely and definitely dont make it seem like they want to be there. Other then that, its no different then any long flight on the 77L. Just sleep.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
DTW-HKG is about the same length. I have done it in BE many times and Y a few as well. This is a brutally long flight in BE or not.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
DTW-HKG is about the same length. I have done it in BE many times and Y a few as well. This is a brutally long flight in BE or not.
atl to jnb is delta's longest non-stop flight. clocks in at 8439 miles which is 1,000 more then lax to syd and approx. 600 miles longer then dtw to hkg.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:32 am
Suspended

I'll be on 200 and 201 in a few days myself in J (actually, I'm still showing as upgrade waitlisted for 201).

Its true that DTW to HKG is almost as long, sans for 600 miles or so. I've done this flight. You should have no concerns as it relates to comfort, the flat bed suites are very comfortable, although you'll find some people who seem to be impossible to please, that will tell you otherwise. You get a Duvet and a comforter. the monitor is a decent size and selection of movies is endless.

As for the service, shouldn't be any issues here. Although DLATL has some points, you shouldnt wind up with an entirely geriatrics crew. There are plenty of staff on board, especially in J, that you shouldn't have to worry about to many things.

First long haul flight on DL?

Enjoy your flights.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
First long haul flight on DL?
Wow, if so all future trips will be a cakewalk! Taking this one next year in J and can't imagine doing it without sedatives...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
atl to jnb is delta's longest non-stop flight. clocks in at 8439 miles which is 1,000 more then lax to syd and approx. 600 miles longer then dtw to hkg.
That is why I said "almost". It actually completely depends on the routing and approach as the route can be +/- 300 miles depending on the routing.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta has been operating ATL-JNB for over a year and a half. Other than a few 777-ER substitutions, it's been operated with a 777-200LR lie flat seats, AVOD, USB power, and AC power in Business.

For more details note that 'JNB' is a searchable string on FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Wow, if so all future trips will be a cakewalk! Taking this one next year in J and can't imagine doing it without sedatives...
sedatives, another word for, JD!
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has been operating ATL-JNB for over a year and a half. Other than a few 777-ER substitutions, it's been operated with a 777-200LR lie flat seats, AVOD, USB power, and AC power in Business.

For more details note that 'JNB' is a searchable string on FlyerTalk.
The 772 / 777-200ER can make it that far?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
sedatives, another word for, JD!
Oh, no no no... But one does need Woodford to wash down the sedatives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.