Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DELTA: Redeem SKYMILES for 25k Round Trip domestic travel?

Old Apr 1, 11, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite

Last edited by GoBucks27; Sep 21, 11 at 11:49 am
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:07 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
25k ... is the norm that I use.
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
25k. I will accept 32.5k to 40k if I am booking very close in and the flights are very full and the fare is very expensive.
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by GoBucks27 View Post
HAHA...I thought finding 25K roundtrip domestic awards was an April Fools Joke.
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:32 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Domestic awards are pretty easy to come by.
Old Apr 1, 11, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Old Apr 1, 11, 11:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.979 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Like MR_MAMA said, 25k domestic rewards are plentiful and easy to come by for most markets. International rewards are another story...
Old Apr 1, 11, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It depends on the level of Delta service between city pairs, the traveler's date flexibility, willingness to search, and readiness to take sub-optimum routings (and then I try to SDC). It's not always easy (or, within a narrow date band, in some markets, even possible) to find 25K awards. I've had plenty of experience with AA and US redemptions in the last year, too, and it's not a piece of cake with those programs, either.
Old Apr 1, 11, 12:41 pm

I have rarely paid more then 25K. Do have one 32.5 to Boston, but am hoping that either it drops to 25K or there is a fare reduction so I can get a cheaper seat. If I was more flexible on date/time for that one it would be 25 K, but... I can't take a morning flight out of BOS that day.
Old Apr 1, 11, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Old Apr 1, 11, 1:17 pm

Its okay if I'm flexible, but often I find myself only getting the best reward fare on one of the two trips, so i'm often at the 32.5 level.

Now if I plan ahead I have no issues, and I've gotten lucky with trips to the carribean as well.
Old Apr 1, 11, 2:23 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Thanks -

I'll keep shopping.

CLE based, with DTW, CMH and CAK not far.

Primary destinations for Reward travel are SAN, LAS & LAX/area

I always fly revenue, with wife and kids consuming miles.
The fact that you are flying revenue is likely the issue that is limiting availability at low-levels. Plats get better availability at low-levels, but only if they are flying on the same award reservation as their travel companions.
Old Apr 2, 11, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Last edited by GoBucks27; Sep 21, 11 at 11:48 am
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:00 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I would love you guys to find a 25K award DSM-MCO for May 6-8. Calling mooper. Only 40K available for non-elite. 25K award with DL is certainly not the "norm" for most people.

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
25k. I will accept 32.5k to 40k if I am booking very close in and the flights are very full and the fare is very expensive.
I am just the opposite. Further out I am willing to accept 32.5K or 40K when using my miles, then looking closer in and often can rebook to a 25K mile award. DL tends to release the lower mileage level awards closer to departure. YMMV.

SERIOUSLY......

Finding 25k options is determining factor for me of choosing DL vs CO/UA as my primary airline....
I am a CO Plat too, and can find 25k all the time on CO; but have issue finding on DL....

If available on DL, I will bolt CO/UA, not becuase of CO, but because of UA....not happy camper with UA merger
My guess is that you will be less of a happy camper with DL if you don't have status and are trying to find 25K mile awards. Requires a good degree of flexibility much of the time. If you are PM or DM, your chances increase significantly because you can make unlimited free changes to award tickets. If you have very specific dates for travel within the US, chances are maybe 50-50 that you will find 25K mile awards. Compared with my experience with CO, it is a lower percentage than CO, at least initially.
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Well, I am actually searching logged on as PLAT, traveler of one....once I find reward I prefer; I'll book that for my wife and then book mine revenue.
That's not going to work online - and probably not by phone. If you're not traveling in the same reservation the 'enhanced' award availability goes away. (Yes, I have seen this in action, logged in as Gold or Plat, booking travel for others. The agent says the award is there for me, but not for a non-elite.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: