Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DELTA: Redeem SKYMILES for 25k Round Trip domestic travel?

DELTA: Redeem SKYMILES for 25k Round Trip domestic travel?

Old Apr 2, 11, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
That's not going to work online - and probably not by phone. If you're not traveling in the same reservation the 'enhanced' award availability goes away. (Yes, I have seen this in action, logged in as Gold or Plat, booking travel for others. The agent says the award is there for me, but not for a non-elite.)
Yep, I can attest that it doesn't work online. If you select the "I am travelling" option, but don't include your name on one of the tickets, it will often tell you cannot book the tickets at the shown rates.
Old Apr 2, 11, 4:20 pm

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Yep, I can attest that it doesn't work online. If you select the "I am travelling" option, but don't include your name on one of the tickets, it will often tell you cannot book the tickets at the shown rates.
True... but when I want to do as OP says,
I call DL elite line and tell them that I want
to purchase a tix and book friend use ff miles..
NO problem and done for me many times.

We both are flying same itin...at least on outbound...
have had friend fly back earlier date to Asia as I stay longer in USA...
again, no problem...just be polite and ask for elite agent's
help in booking what it is you want to do. :-)

Good luck!

tj
Old Apr 2, 11, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I don't think 25K is the norm, I still think DL domestic isn't as good as what I've seen on AA/CO for what I've needed. But, I refuse to pay more than low for any redemption (regardless of how expensive the ticket is).

Originally Posted by fti View Post
I would love you guys to find a 25K award DSM-MCO for May 6-8. Calling mooper. Only 40K available for non-elite. 25K award with DL is certainly not the "norm" for most people.
Maybe it still is too far out, remember mooper only books tickets that are very near. Oh yeah, it has to be FC and logged in as PM or higher too.
Old Apr 3, 11, 12:50 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
DTW-east coast I can often find 25k, and i can occasionally get $.04/mile worth from that, if doing a one day trip w/o a sat stay close in, where the fare would otherwise be more than $1k.
Old Apr 3, 11, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
It appears to me that Delta has now quietly introduced a distance-based set of award ticket levels. I'm looking at the same calendar period this summer from ATL. NYC is 25K, Texas is 32.5K, West coast is 40K. Checked award calendar for broader dates and pretty much the same regardless. Now maybe this is just because it's vacation season and seats are booking up. Just seems funny that it happens to work out that way.
Old Apr 7, 11, 2:15 pm

I am FO - so not sure that it changes the availability for me with reward seats but I am trying to decide if I should use 50-60K miles to go to San Juan over memorial weekend (thurs-mon) or just buy the ticket for $400. (I've got about 116K and not much flexibility with the dates). Still green on knowing when to use miles vs. when to purchase with cash and save those miles for a better deal and could use the advice from those with more experience.

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 11, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell View Post
It appears to me that Delta has now quietly introduced a distance-based set of award ticket levels. I'm looking at the same calendar period this summer from ATL. NYC is 25K, Texas is 32.5K, West coast is 40K. Checked award calendar for broader dates and pretty much the same regardless. Now maybe this is just because it's vacation season and seats are booking up. Just seems funny that it happens to work out that way.
Except NYC is closer to ATL than Texas is.
Old Apr 8, 11, 9:59 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fti View Post
I would love you guys to find a 25K award DSM-MCO for May 6-8. Calling mooper. Only 40K available for non-elite. 25K award with DL is certainly not the "norm" for most people.
mooper only books 1-2 days before the flight, and he always gets 25k RT for "automatic" F.
Old Apr 10, 11, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I have been trying to find JFK-SFO award tickets for 25k for a 4 day weekend in either August-Sept-Oct (I think that is being very flexible)...but EVERY SINGLE DAY of those 3 months is MEDIUM at 40k..is this one of those routes where I have a better chance at winning the Mega Millions then snagging 25k seats?
Old Apr 10, 11, 7:05 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by carminosa View Post
I am FO - so not sure that it changes the availability for me with reward seats but I am trying to decide if I should use 50-60K miles to go to San Juan over memorial weekend (thurs-mon) or just buy the ticket for $400. (I've got about 116K and not much flexibility with the dates). Still green on knowing when to use miles vs. when to purchase with cash and save those miles for a better deal and could use the advice from those with more experience.

Thanks!
Bump. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this too. As a FO, when are we better off using cash than miles? Anything over 25k miles, use cash?
Old Apr 10, 11, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AUDirt View Post
Bump. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this too. As a FO, when are we better off using cash than miles? Anything over 25k miles, use cash?
I would not use miles on any ticket that was $250 or under.
Old Apr 10, 11, 9:24 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL DM, UA lice <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ RR G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
I would not use miles on any ticket that was $250 or under.
I think 350$ or so myself for buying instead of 25k.
I can get to India or middle east for 120k in Biz = worth at least 1750 to me in paid premium economy.
40k is the medium level and so the expectation. I book at 40 and look for low to open up later.
Old Apr 10, 11, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I would not use miles on anything that is below my target redemption rate per mile. Some people set this target higher than others, and there is always lots of debate around it. Some people only want to redeem for int'l BE which can often get you 4 cents per mile if you can find Low availability. I'm willing to redeem at a lesser rate, especially for domestic coach travel, because then I believe I am more justified in mileage running on a limited travel budget.

A 60k ticket that would cost $400 if I purchased it comes out to 0.67 cents per mile. Not a good redemption rate no matter how you look at it. Absolute minimum should be 1 cent per mile.
Old Apr 10, 11, 9:28 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL DM, UA lice <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ RR G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
I have been trying to find JFK-SFO award tickets for 25k for a 4 day weekend in either August-Sept-Oct (I think that is being very flexible)...but EVERY SINGLE DAY of those 3 months is MEDIUM at 40k..is this one of those routes where I have a better chance at winning the Mega Millions then snagging 25k seats?
Here is where KVS comes in useful.
You can put in your search and hit Ctrl+page down and just go through 2 months in about 15 min.
The other problem is the lack of Plat status. Once you hit PM, just book at 40 and keep searching for a 25 to open up.
Old Apr 10, 11, 9:30 pm
ffI

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
A 60k ticket that would cost $400 if I purchased it comes out to 0.67 cents per mile. Not a good redemption rate no matter how you look at it. Absolute minimum should be 1 cent per mile.
Agreed. Just use PWM if you are a Medallion or have a DL Amex

Search this Thread