Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
LHR is a big place and terminals are not connected airside. Airside transfers are done by bus. Landside transfers can be made via the free Heathrow Connect train to T1/2/3. To get from T4 to T5, you can either take train and transfer at T1/2/3 or, depending on timing, use the local bus (free) from T4 to T5.

All Delta Flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Boston:
DL 58: BOS-LHR...A332.
DL 59: LHR-BOS...A332 (Arrives at Terminal E).

New York:
DL 401: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 402: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 403: JFK-LHR...A332.

DL1: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL2: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL3: LHR-JFK...A332.

Atlanta:
DL 30: ATL-LHR...A332.
DL 32: ATL-LHR...A333.

DL 31: LHR-ATL...A332.
DL 33: LHR-ATL...A333.

Detroit:
DL 16: DTW-LHR...A332.
DL 18: DTW-LHR...B763.

DL 17: LHR-DTW...A332.
DL 19: LHR-DTW...B763.

Minneapolis:
DL 10: MSP-LHR...B763.

DL 11: LHR-MSP...B763.

Philadelphia: No longer operates.
DL 194: PHL-LHR...75W.
DL 195: LHR-PHL...75W.

Seattle: Now operated by VS.
DL 4349: SEA-LHR...B789.
DL 4348: LHR-SEA...B789.

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad nauseam on the forum.

Comfort+ - LINK

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Comfort+ are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead C+ seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the C+ FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with C+ on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

DL Forum 763 Mod Tracking (lots of info on seats) - LINK

Beginning in spring 2018, many of Delta's B767 flights to London were switched to A330s instead, which is generally thought to be a more comfortable aircraft type, especially in business class.

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 11GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

D1, DM, and PM can use the VS Revivals Lounge on the mezzanine level. Unlike with departures lounges, DM and PM are not allowed to bring a guest along to the Revivals Lounge (unless flying in D1/Upper Class).

Departures:

LHR T3: Delta One passengers, DMs, and PMs have access to the VS Clubhouse lounge. DMs and PMs may bring one guest who is traveling on the same flight. A 3rd party lounge (the "No. 1 Traveller" Lounge) is offered to GM traveling in economy or Premium Economy.

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
FT Discussion:
Paid SC Member Denied Access to LHR Sky Team Lounge

Check in and security at LHR T4 (AF, KL, and other SkyTeam partners):
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is at the desks used for SkyTeam pax.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: Changes to Latest Check-in Time at LHR on AF/KL
More discussion on London and the UK:
FT UK & Ireland Forum - LINK
UK Air Passenger Duty

DL paid ground transfer JFK-EWR/LGA on TATL flights - LINK

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: Delta Virgin Atlantic Partnership

NOTE: At LHR, DL and VS use T3 while other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J, C, D, I, Z, G (G is an award & upgrade fare class)
Premium Economy W, S, H, K, P
Economy Y, B, R, L, U, M, E, Q, X, V, N, O

Note that because Virgin Atlantic uses the same G fare class for both award tickets and upgrades, if using miles or GUCs to upgrade a Virgin Atlantic flight, it will be rebooked in G and may thus show up to Delta as ineligible for mileage earning with SkyMiles. This is incorrect, as upgraded tickets should earn miles based on the original coach ticket -- so if upgrading Virgin Atlantic flights, pay close attention to your SkyMiles earning and be ready to follow up with Delta to get the miles credited correctly.

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)
- VS Clubhouse access with a same-day TATL flight on DL or VS (GMs: only at BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, not LGW/LHR; PM have access at LGW, but not LHR unless in J; DM have access at LGW and LHR)

NOTE: VS J pax (and presumably Medallions) are now eligible for Fast Track security for connections, departures, and arrivals at LHR T3: LINK.

Clubhouse (Lounge) Access:

DL/VS J passengers get access to VS Clubhouse lounges at LGW/LHR and BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO with a same-day TATL flight on either DL or VS.

GM in W or Y have access to the BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO lounges but not LGW/LHR.

DM or PM in W or Y may use the LGW and LHR Clubhouse lounges as well as BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, and may bring 1 guest traveling on the same flight with them.

DM/PM/GM in W or Y at LHR T3 have access to "No. 1 Traveller" lounge instead of, (for DMs in addition to), the VS Clubhouse.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge following a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
Virgin Atlantic Code Share Flight Questions
Using SM to Upgrade on VS

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
Possible Improvements to the DL-VS Relationship
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by tentseller

It has to be direct and on DL metal. LAX AMS is probably code shared with KL.
Per calling the fake Chisholm line: Codeshare is ok, but it does have to be direct JFK-LHR or vice versa.

So for my LHR-JFK segment, I called Tristar and the agent stumbled through as if she hadn't done one of these in a while, but I ended up getting an email confirmation for the car!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryLime
Hey all, I have a question about connection times.

I'm currently in London with a return ticket to JFK on November 20th at 5:50pm. If I go to Rome for a few days, and fly back to LHR on the flight that arrives at 3:20pm on November 20th, will I have enough time to pick up my luggage and re-check it for the JFK-bound flight at 5:50?
Following up... At the check-in, Alitalia said it was impossible, which seems to be the answer for every question I ask when in Europe...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Following up... At the check-in, Alitalia said it was impossible, which seems to be the answer for every question I ask when in Europe...
So how did this play out and are you saying Alitalia refused to interline your luggage?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Odd...I know AF and KL do so. I asked the DM desk this question and they said AZ should do ti, but AZ is, well, AZ...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Yes, that's correct. After waiting on line at the SkyPriority check-in, the Alitalia employee manning the station simply got up and left, so I shuffled over to general check in and the gentleman there told me it wasn't possible with two separate itineraries, and if my bags didn't show up at JFK then Delta wouldn't want to take responsibility. I'm on the flight to London now, and will have to retrieve then recheck my luggage at heathrow. Annoying.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:26 am

I am flying out of LHR Monday (BE seat). I have read about the immigration issues creating long lines on arrival. Anything I should be concerned about on departure? (trying to figure out what time to arrive at LHR)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I am flying out of LHR Monday (BE seat). I have read about the immigration issues creating long lines on arrival. Anything I should be concerned about on departure? (trying to figure out what time to arrive at LHR)
No problem in LHR as you will have fast checkin in area H which is opposite and around the corner from the long lines you'll see at the regular DL counters. I have never had to wait more than 4 minutes there. Then you'll get a pass for FastTrac through security. Likewise, 4 minutes wait max. I typically take the ~2pm to ATL so maybe it's different at other times. The lounge is beyond security and worth a visit, and boarding is usually very organized by zone and with a ST+ lane. Getting there 90 min before should be plenty, though I usually leave 2 hrs and spend some time in the lounge (free Clarins treatments FTW).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Yes, give plenty of time for security, as UK security is known for being a completely absurd process.

I just spent 30 minutes going through security at LHR T4 with absolutely no one in front of me in the Fast Track line. All because they insist on rummaging through every other passenger's luggage completely. Opening up every single thing. And at the end you have to repack because they've taken everything out of your luggage and put it on a table in the airport for everyone to see.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Fast Track was definitely a huge help for me. I did DL3 on Tue, and DL4 on Fri. I crossed customs with only 3 people in front of me, and I crossed security with about a 5 min wait. With Global Entry crossing back into the US, plane seat to cab seat took 5 minutes. The customs line wasn't pretty back at JFK.

Overall it was a great trip for me, despite having to work on Thanksgiving. I sat in 5D JFK-LHR and 3A LHR-JFK. Both were window seats (with the table towards the aisle side). Pro - the added privacy by being a bit further separated from the aisle, but Con - not the easiest seat to get in/out of. Despite the awkward climb into the seat, I'd say it's worth seeking out the window seats if you're flying alone.

I flew 1-2-1 configs in both the 767-400ER (JFK-LHR) and 767-300ER (LHR-JFK). The 767-300ER felt pretty recently refurbished. Still had that new shine to it. Better movie selection on the flight back. IFE was not great either direction - on the flight to LHR it would get jittery/laggy, and on the flight back there were all sorts of weird audio issues.

Would not have known about the Yotel arrivals hotel without having read FT. No mention of it on the flight. Totally worth it after getting off an overnight flight. The person at Yotel will check your boarding pass against a list, and you're inside your room in less than 5 min. A very nice shower, and enjoyed a few minutes of free Internet to re-orient myself. If anything, a fun experience, just to say you've done it.

LHR T4 SkyTeam lounge is awesome. If you value quiet, right after you sign in with the front desk, turn right and go up the stairs. The lounge seems to be identical on both levels (same food, seating, etc.) but it's just a notch quieter with less people. Good food selection during breakfast - enough there to fill you up if you wanted to get on the flight and go to sleep right away.

Here are a bunch of photos ... feel free to ignore my 4 hours of tourism in between, but plenty of pics at the beginning and end of the album with the in-flight experience (meals, etc.) and a bunch of pics of the lounge.

Compared to past TATLs I've had, flying BE was the best one I've had in a long time. I'm sure there are better, but Delta puts together a nice package and at $1800 RT for BE, I think it was a great deal. Great staff - everyone was super polite and helpful.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10606...12564867067553

btw, if you are DM, while walking towards customs I did see a Delta greeter at JFK holding a "Diamond Medallion" sign. Didn't make any difference to me as a PM, but thought I'd mention it.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks all. I plan to leave London around 6 or so for my 9:30 flight to BOS. So bases on above I should be good (yes, I am wasting money and taking the HEX....LOL)

They rummaged through one of my two bags when I did a T4 connection last Monday. I thought someone was finally going to take my "liquids" that have never made the Baggie (hand lotion, lip stuff). Nope, they put it in a new baggie, re-ran it through screening and handed it to me.
And I have GE so I know to ignore any greeters. They slowed me way down the one time they found me as the other "greeted" wanted to wait for their kids WAY in the back. LOL. Now I just walk past them.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks all. I plan to leave London around 6 or so for my 9:30 flight to BOS. So bases on above I should be good (yes, I am wasting money and taking the HEX....LOL)
You'll have way too much time. At least the lounge is awesome. I generally aimed for 90 minutes and was fine. One time I barely made the luggage check time because of overrunning engineering works on the railway tracks that required me to call a cab for the last segment I normally did by bus. Unless you're near Paddington, HEX is a waste and might not be faster than the Piccadilly line.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
You'll have way too much time. At least the lounge is awesome. I generally aimed for 90 minutes and was fine. One time I barely made the luggage check time because of overrunning engineering works on the railway tracks that required me to call a cab for the last segment I normally did by bus. Unless you're near Paddington, HEX is a waste and might not be faster than the Piccadilly line.
I left London at 2:50 before my flight thinking I would have plenty of time. While I was never in any danger of missing the flight, it did not turn out to be as much slack time as I thought it would. I spent 35 minutes in the lounge.

I agree about the Piccadilly line vs. the Heathrow Express, especially since the Express only takes you to T12&3. As my hotel sat on the Piccadilly line and I would need to take it and then transfer to the Circle/District line to get to Paddington Station, I decided why do that when I can just stay on the same train all the way to Heathrow.

I must have very bad luck with LHR security as I have never had a good experience with it. I'm stunned that people are through in 5 minutes, as 30 minutes is the minimum I've ever waited even in Fast Track.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by 18sas
I must have very bad luck with LHR security as I have never had a good experience with it. I'm stunned that people are through in 5 minutes, as 30 minutes is the minimum I've ever waited even in Fast Track.
The couple of times I've used FastTrack at LHR, it's not been any faster than the normal lines. In fact, because you get stuck behind people needing assistance, it can be slower. That said, I don't think I ever spent more than 15 minutes in security at LHR. Immigration queues upon arrival, however, are another story.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Yesterday evening, according to EF, there was Z8 for one of the three flights from ATL to LHR on a date in early June. The other two flights showed Z0. The return showed basically the same thing Z8 on one and Z0 on the other two.

Then this morning (roughly 12 hours later)--on the same proposed travel dates--the outbound flight that yesterday showed Z8, today showed Z0, but one of the flights that yesterday showed Z0, today shows Z9. However, on the return--all three now show Z0 (instead of the one showing Z8).

Does anyone watch this stuff enough to know if the ATL-LHR Z inventory bounces around like this on a regular basis?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by atl runner
Yesterday evening, according to EF, there was Z8 for one of the three flights from ATL to LHR on a date in early June. The other two flights showed Z0. The return showed basically the same thing Z8 on one and Z0 on the other two.

Then this morning (roughly 12 hours later)--on the same proposed travel dates--the outbound flight that yesterday showed Z8, today showed Z0, but one of the flights that yesterday showed Z0, today shows Z9. However, on the return--all three now show Z0 (instead of the one showing Z8).

Does anyone watch this stuff enough to know if the ATL-LHR Z inventory bounces around like this on a regular basis?
Yes, I have noticed this not just with LHR routes, but all TATL routes. I have no idea how the system determines what the Z inventory should be, but it is clear to me that flights don't start out at Z9+ and then little by little Z inventory dwindles down to Z0. There's something much more complicated at work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.