Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
LHR is a big place and terminals are not connected airside. Airside transfers are done by bus. Landside transfers can be made via the free Heathrow Connect train to T1/2/3. To get from T4 to T5, you can either take train and transfer at T1/2/3 or, depending on timing, use the local bus (free) from T4 to T5.

All Delta Flights depart from London Heathrow Terminal 3:
Check in for DL flights departing LHR T3 is in the same area of the terminal used by VS. This is the southside of the T3 check in area - if looking straight on at the building, go to the left. Business, DM, and PM can use the Upper Class Check in area.

Boston:
DL 58: BOS-LHR...A332.
DL 59: LHR-BOS...A332 (Arrives at Terminal E).

New York:
DL 401: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 402: JFK-LHR...A332.
DL 403: JFK-LHR...A332.

DL1: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL2: LHR-JFK...A332.
DL3: LHR-JFK...A332.

Atlanta:
DL 30: ATL-LHR...A332.
DL 32: ATL-LHR...A333.

DL 31: LHR-ATL...A332.
DL 33: LHR-ATL...A333.

Detroit:
DL 16: DTW-LHR...A332.
DL 18: DTW-LHR...B763.

DL 17: LHR-DTW...A332.
DL 19: LHR-DTW...B763.

Minneapolis:
DL 10: MSP-LHR...B763.

DL 11: LHR-MSP...B763.

Philadelphia: No longer operates.
DL 194: PHL-LHR...75W.
DL 195: LHR-PHL...75W.

Seattle: Now operated by VS.
DL 4349: SEA-LHR...B789.
DL 4348: LHR-SEA...B789.

Some notes on seats: I have not discussed extensively, as it has been covered ad nauseam on the forum.

Comfort+ - LINK

764:
The J the configuration is 1-2-1. If traveling with a companion, the two middle seats work well, as they're next to each other. With the window seats, the seat console is between the passenger and the aisle on the odd seats, minimizing being bumped by someone in the aisle. Some people do not like the forward seats (1-3) due to galley noise while others like these seats for their privacy.

For Y seats, row 30 (exit row) has tons of space. Comfort+ are rows 15-18. Row 15 is the bulkhead C+ seat - opinions vary, but the legroom here is not as good as on the 763. Refer to the C+ FAQ for pictures.

763:
The 763s on this route are the modified a/c with lie flat J seats. The rows with C+ on the 76Ws typically used on LHR flights are 16-21.

DL Forum 763 Mod Tracking (lots of info on seats) - LINK

Beginning in spring 2018, many of Delta's B767 flights to London were switched to A330s instead, which is generally thought to be a more comfortable aircraft type, especially in business class.

Want to see London on approach to LHR?
If you want the chance to get a good look at London when landing @ LHR (assuming the weather cooperates), sit on the right side of the a/c. If winds dictate landing patterns over the city, you'll see it from this side. Pics from one of my landings.

Immigration & Baggage Collection @ LHR

The FA's will provide a landing card for those with non EU/EEA passports. If you're staying in the UK, you'll need the address (hotel, residence, etc.) for your landing card. Passport control will request the landing card and your passport.

Upon deplaning, you will head to the UK Border Agency (UKBA) checkpoint if remaining in the UK or follow the purple "flight connections" signage if you have an onward flight from any LHR terminal.

If you are connecting, refer to the Heathrow website for details on other terminals and specific flight connections.

When flying BE, the FA's hand out FastTrack passes, which often speed the process of entering the UK, the immigration queues can take a while.
  • T3: As you enter the immigration hall, the UK/EU desks are immediately to your left, keep going straight. The entry to the non-EU passport queue will be ahead on the left and FastTrack will be directly ahead. Keep an eye on the regular queue because it's often faster than FastTrack (more agents).
  • T4: If looking at the UKBA desks, the FastTrack lane has been moved to the center of the passport control area and is in between the EU and non-EU passport queues. In the absence of a FastTrack card, I try to be prompt in getting to passport control...closer to the front, the better!

**Also, be sure to have a copy of your itinerary with you as border agents sometimes ask for evidence of your planned departure from the UK.

Baggage:
After clearing passport control, pax head downstairs to collect their baggage (T3 or T4). LHR baggage is generally pretty good and the priority tags work most of the time^. There are cash machines, vending machines, and restrooms in the baggage hall.

Upon collecting baggage, pax pass through customs and then enter the arrivals hall. Booked taxi courier drivers are often waiting across from the exit doors.
  • T3: As you exit customs into the arrivals hall, follow the lane around - the ramp to the Underground and Heathrow Connect/Express will be on the left. Hotel bus shuttles (Hoppa bus) and the taxi rank are also to the left and outside.
  • T4: Go to the left for the Heathrow Connect/Express trains and go to the right for Underground trains (The Underground (AKA the Tube) is the cheapest way into London via the Piccadilly Line; Heathrow Connect to Paddington with a few stops in between is in the middle; the Heathrow Express is the most expensive direct service to Paddington). Rental car and limousine desks are to the right. Rental car and hotel shuttle buses (Hotel Hoppa) are outside of the terminal - follow posted signs.

Baggage storage is also available outside of security.
  • T3: Left Luggage is near the WH Smith in the arrivals hall.
  • T4: Exit to the right and it is across from the escalators that go down to the Tube station.
It currently costs 5GBP/item for 0-4 hours, 11GBP/item for 4-24 hours storage, and 5GBP/item for each additional 24 hours.

Lounges:

Arrivals @ LHR T3:

D1, DM, and PM can use the VS Revivals Lounge on the mezzanine level. Unlike with departures lounges, DM and PM are not allowed to bring a guest along to the Revivals Lounge (unless flying in D1/Upper Class).

Departures:

LHR T3: Delta One passengers, DMs, and PMs have access to the VS Clubhouse lounge. DMs and PMs may bring one guest who is traveling on the same flight. A 3rd party lounge (the "No. 1 Traveller" Lounge) is offered to GM traveling in economy or Premium Economy.

NOTE: Although the dl.com Sky Club Locations page states that Sky Club members get access to the SkyTeam lounge at LHR, I've had agents at the desk there tell me that my SC card does not matter and my ST Elite+ status is what gets me access unless flying in J.
FT Discussion:
Paid SC Member Denied Access to LHR Sky Team Lounge

Check in and security at LHR T4 (AF, KL, and other SkyTeam partners):
Check in for SkyPriority and J pax is at the desks used for SkyTeam pax.

As far as time for check in, Delta Check In Time Requirements. On that note, I have family (Medallions) who have checked in (with checked baggage) right at 60 minutes before the flight and made it through security and to the plane with a few minutes to spare.

FastTrack for the security checkpoint - The FT lane is to the left if looking at the main security queuing point. Pax flying in J can use FT. I have been able to use FT when flying in Y by showing my DM card. Not sure if it is the policy, but I last used it on March 2013 with no issue. Others have also reported success using the FT lane by showing their credentials.

NOTE: Increased security measures at LHR security checkpoints are creating delays - Email I received from DL LINK

If flying AF or KL from LHR, the latest check in time changes effective 1 Feb 2012: Changes to Latest Check-in Time at LHR on AF/KL
More discussion on London and the UK:
FT UK & Ireland Forum - LINK
UK Air Passenger Duty

DL paid ground transfer JFK-EWR/LGA on TATL flights - LINK

Delta and Virgin Atlantic (VS) Partnership:
dl.com: VIRGIN ATLANTIC PARTNERSHIP FAQS
FT thread: Delta Virgin Atlantic Partnership

NOTE: At LHR, DL and VS use T3 while other SkyTeam carriers use T4. These terminals are not connected air or landside.

VS Fare Classes:
VS fare classes do not align with DL fare classes. VS fare buckets:
Upper Class - J, C, D, I, Z, G (G is an award & upgrade fare class)
Premium Economy W, S, H, K, P
Economy Y, B, R, L, U, M, E, Q, X, V, N, O

Note that because Virgin Atlantic uses the same G fare class for both award tickets and upgrades, if using miles or GUCs to upgrade a Virgin Atlantic flight, it will be rebooked in G and may thus show up to Delta as ineligible for mileage earning with SkyMiles. This is incorrect, as upgraded tickets should earn miles based on the original coach ticket -- so if upgrading Virgin Atlantic flights, pay close attention to your SkyMiles earning and be ready to follow up with Delta to get the miles credited correctly.

dl.com - earning miles on VS (VS is a Tier 1 partner.): LINK

Medallion Benefits flying on VS (DM, PM, GM):
- Priority Check-In
- Priority Baggage Handling
- Priority Security
- Priority Boarding
- Baggage fee waiver for one additional piece up to 23kg (~50lbs)
- VS Clubhouse access with a same-day TATL flight on DL or VS (GMs: only at BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, not LGW/LHR; PM have access at LGW, but not LHR unless in J; DM have access at LGW and LHR)

NOTE: VS J pax (and presumably Medallions) are now eligible for Fast Track security for connections, departures, and arrivals at LHR T3: LINK.

Clubhouse (Lounge) Access:

DL/VS J passengers get access to VS Clubhouse lounges at LGW/LHR and BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO with a same-day TATL flight on either DL or VS.

GM in W or Y have access to the BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO lounges but not LGW/LHR.

DM or PM in W or Y may use the LGW and LHR Clubhouse lounges as well as BOS/EWR/IAD/JFK/LAX/SFO, and may bring 1 guest traveling on the same flight with them.

DM/PM/GM in W or Y at LHR T3 have access to "No. 1 Traveller" lounge instead of, (for DMs in addition to), the VS Clubhouse.

LHR T3:
al330729's pics from the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3 - LINK

JFK:
As a DM flying JFK-LHR, I was able to use the VS Clubhouse at JFK. For pics, please see:
- Lounge - LINK
- Food - LINK
- Showers/Spa - LINK

VS Revivals (Arrivals) Lounge at LHR T3:
alee0729 had no issues accessing the VS Revivals Lounge following a DL arrival into T3. Shower pic - LINK

On Dec. 21, 2013, I stopped by the Revivals Lounge to get clarification on access for DL Medallion members. Per the agent, only pax flying Upper Class (Business) can currently access the lounge due to space issues; DL Medallion status does not = access. This may change once some DL flights start using T3 in Spring 2014.

Upgrading on VS-Operated Flights:
Virgin Atlantic Code Share Flight Questions
Using SM to Upgrade on VS

Access to Extra Leg Room Seats / Exit Rows on VS-operated Flights:
Possible Improvements to the DL-VS Relationship
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Flying to London on DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
In the JFK Clubhouse now. No issues accessing for myself, but to test it out I asked if I could guest another passenger who would be "joining me".

Reception agent immediately asked if they were on the same flight as me, I said they were not, and she immediately apologized and said I could only guest someone else on my same flight.

Very polite and friendly. But also very clear in her answer.

If I get a chance to ask at LHR in a couple weeks I'll report back again. But I expect to get the same answer as others have received
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinu Medallion, Delta Reserve Card, IHG Spire Ambassador, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Transfer time to Euston

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't feel like wading through the 110 pages of this thread. We are flying SLC-LHR nonstop on Delta, arrive at 10:00 a.m. on a Thursday. We are taking the train to Liverpool that day. Is the 13:40 train feasible? I have read that immigration can take 45-60 minutes (we are US passport holders). We plan on taking the Piccadilly Line then transferring at Green Park. We are aware of the Heathrow Express but think it's pretty comparable to the tube with all of the transfers/walking.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:08 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I *think* that would be possible, but I would suggest that the Heathrow Express to Tube transfer at Paddington is likely to be more pleasant than the transfer at Green Park especially if you have any real luggage. Also the Pic can get very crowded even mid-day.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Another option would be to take the Piccadilly line to King’s Cross Station, then walk (.7 mi/15 min) to Euston Station, which seems simpler and more enjoyable than navigating tube transfers. This assumes you have no mobility problems and aren’t schlepping tons of luggage. If you have a half hour to spare you could even stop for coffee (or champagne!) at the bar overlooking the Eurostar tracks in the spectacular St. Pancras Station, adjacent to King’s Cross.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Do you have one or more Oyster cards, depending on how many are in your group? You can buy them on line at this link; I would recommend having them in hand, as the lines at the machines in the T3 tube station can be frustrating (the Oyster uses the same technology as the SmarTrip cards used here in the DC area on public transit).

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/usa...r-oyster-card/

Assuming you've got your Oyster card, it is going to take a solid 10 minutes to walk from the customs exit to the Heathrow T3 tube station (there is a downward ramp in the middle of the arrivals hall that provides access to both the train station (Heathrow Express) and the tube station. The ride from the Heathrow T3 tube station to Green Park is approximately 45 minutes; allow 5-8 minutes for the transfer to the Victoria line; then 5 minutes to Euston. Assuming you have train tickets in hand, you should be able to get to your train within 5 minutes of walking into the station.

If you have rail passes (and I highly recommend them, having 20 years experience with the Britrailpass), I would avoid the tube and take the Heathrow Express to Paddington. The trains arrive on the center platforms (I want to say platform 10-11). Exiting the ticket barrier, you walk toward the large ramp that is to the left of a shopping arcade that includes an M&S Simply Food and a Sainsbury's Local up to Praed Street. Don't cross the street, but go to the bus stop next to the Mercure Hotel on your left. Take Bus 205; it stops at the city bus station in front of the entrance to Euston. The train ride is 15-18 minutes; the walk time is 5 minutes; the bus ride to Euston is 15-20 minutes. The buses take both cash and Oyster.

The problem for estimating train times out of Euston is whether your flight into LHR will be delayed and how long the line is at the "UK Border" immigration station, as a number of international flights will be arriving virtually simultaneously. On my most recent trip there, arriving May 24, 2018, my flight parked at the gate on time at 0725. I didn't get through immigration until 0910 due to the longest line I had ever seen at LHR. I had a Britrailpass, and was lucky enough to make the latest Heathrow Express (at 0933) that would allow me to make a connection at Paddington to a train headed for Penzance at 1003.

Virgin Trains are very nice; you'll enjoy the ride up to Liverpool Lime Street. If you have a first class ticket and are traveling on a weekday, they'll have a real nice breakfast on board for you as part of your ticket price.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
If I get a chance to ask at LHR in a couple weeks I'll report back again. But I expect to get the same answer as others have received
Short answer is no guests in the LHR Clubhouse unless they are on the same flight as you (if accessing based on status, at least).

Longer narrative is I had an interesting LHR departure experience on Friday. Arrived quite early because I needed time to do a VAT refund. Completed that landslide relatively painlessly and went to the VS check in area.

As I started walking toward the desks, a woman in a VS uniform speaking not particularly good English began waving and speaking to me, pointing toward the growing economy check in lines. I told her I was a DL Platinum and believe that allows me to use priority check in. All I could make out of her response was a series of "no"s and "you have to go over there" while pointing to the economy lines.

Note that at this point, the woman has no way of knowing what class of service I'm in.

I simply walked around her and approached the Premium desk, which ironically was empty while both of the UC agents were already busy (but no line for either Premium or UC).

Check in without a hitch. Agent asked if I was familiar with LHR and I said no, but do I have access to fast track and clubhouse. She immediately said yes and pointed me to the elevator.

At this point, I mentioned I had a friend joining me and asked if I would be able to guest them in to the clubhouse. Her response was very similar to what I got at JFK - a friendly but firm no after I revealed that the friend was on a different flight. Two confirmations seems pretty clear to me!

Headed back to LGW next week, actually in UC this time. Hopefully their immigration lines are smaller!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Headed back to LGW next week, actually in UC this time. Hopefully their immigration lines are smaller!
They might be but they move just as slow. If you don't get priority immigration as part of UC you can buy it directly from Gatwick for ~Ł7. Worth every pence.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:36 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ND76
Do you have one or more Oyster cards, depending on how many are in your group? You can buy them on line at this link; I would recommend having them in hand, as the lines at the machines in the T3 tube station can be frustrating (the Oyster uses the same technology as the SmarTrip cards used here in the DC area on public transit).

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/usa...r-oyster-card/

... .
Yes, you could that, but you are going to pay for shipping as well as pay a premium on the exchange rate and get a card where you can never get the Five Pound deposit back. (Normal Oyster cards are refundable including the deposit; Visitor Oyster cards are refundable except for the deposit.) I would take Heathrow Express to Paddington and get the Oyster Cards there or just wait in the line at LHR if there is one.
stringcheese likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by stc
Yes, you could that, but you are going to pay for shipping as well as pay a premium on the exchange rate and get a card where you can never get the Five Pound deposit back. (Normal Oyster cards are refundable including the deposit; Visitor Oyster cards are refundable except for the deposit.) I would take Heathrow Express to Paddington and get the Oyster Cards there or just wait in the line at LHR if there is one.
The most I've had to wait is a few minutes at the kiosk at LHR. if I go to the first one I see.

I've never understood the deposit on the Oyster card. Since I go to London so much now I just keep the card and reuse it, but if you do the refund at the kiosk at LHR you get the deposit back and still get to keep the card.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by stringcheese
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I didn't feel like wading through the 110 pages of this thread. We are flying SLC-LHR nonstop on Delta, arrive at 10:00 a.m. on a Thursday. We are taking the train to Liverpool that day. Is the 13:40 train feasible? I have read that immigration can take 45-60 minutes (we are US passport holders). We plan on taking the Piccadilly Line then transferring at Green Park. We are aware of the Heathrow Express but think it's pretty comparable to the tube with all of the transfers/walking.
I just did the journey.

Advise you board the very last car at LHR. Alight at Green Park and look for WAY OUT sign at the end of the platform which leads you STEP FREE to the escalator to the ticketing hall and beyond. You transfer without lifting a thing.

Total time from LHR to Euston Station: 55 minutes.
stringcheese likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
They might be but they move just as slow. If you don't get priority immigration as part of UC you can buy it directly from Gatwick for ~Ł7. Worth every pence.
Wait, does UC not give you fast track for immigration at LGW?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The most I've had to wait is a few minutes at the kiosk at LHR. if I go to the first one I see.

I've never understood the deposit on the Oyster card. Since I go to London so much now I just keep the card and reuse it, but if you do the refund at the kiosk at LHR you get the deposit back and still get to keep the card.
But is the card still valid ?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:05 pm
stc

Originally Posted by thesaints
But is the card still valid ?
My understanding is that all the cards are still valid. Both my v1 cards worked on the Underground but had some issues with Bus readers not liking them. So, I just traded them for new cards in the last month.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Visitlondon.com says if you get all credit refunded (which I assume includes the deposit) the card can't be loaded again.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:46 pm
stc

Originally Posted by thesaints
Visitlondon.com says if you get all credit refunded (which I assume includes the deposit) the card can't be loaded again.
My response was WRT someone who said they keep the card and use it again. Some else asked if the card was still valid.

Yes, if you get a refund you card is no longer valid. But if you plan to go to the UK again in a year or two years you should just keep your card and not refund it.

I am probably an outlier in that I traveled to the UK 4 times last year. I have at least 2 trips planned for this year and maybe 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.