Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Nonrefundable ticket scenarios: What happens if...?

Old Mar 28, 11, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

I haven't seen answers to these questions aggregated into a single easily-accessible reference, so if one exists, please point me there. Otherwise, perhaps this thread could become the reference I seek.

A. When traveling on a non-refundable purchased fare...

1. If I want to make changes prior to departure, what are my options and what fees apply if I want to
a) change the departure and/or return dates, but not the cities?
b) change either the origin city or the destination?
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight within 1 year of booking?

2. If I miss my flight, what are my options and what fees apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight within 1 year of booking?
d) still want to get to my destination and resume the itinerary from there?

B. When traveling on a Skymiles ticket...

1. If I want to make changes prior to departure, what are my options and what fees or penalties apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the miles in my account?

2. If I miss my flight, what are my options and what fees or penalties apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the miles in my account?

C. When traveling using a DL Amex Companion Fare...

1. If I want to make changes to both tickets prior to departure, what are my options and what fees apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight with my companion within 1 year of booking?
d) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another indivicual flight without my companion?
e) change the companion without changing dates or cities?
f) fly the original itinerary alone (i.e. the companion does not fly)?

c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight with my companion within 1 year of booking?
d) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another indivicual flight without my companion?
f) fly the original itinerary alone (i.e. either the paying traveler or the companion misses the flight)?

D. Whe traveling on a SkyBonus ticket...

1. If I want to make changes prior to departure, what are my options and what fees or penalties apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the SkyBonus points in my account?

2. If I miss my flight, what are my options and what fees or penalties apply if I want to
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the SkyBonus points in my account?

E. Qualifiers...

1. How does Medallion status affect the answers to the above questions, both with regard to the rules and also as commonly applied (i.e. status-based privileges that are often extended though they may not be formally codified)?

2. How do the situations above change if non-DL airlines are involved (assuming all ticketing is done through Delta)?

3. Are there other important factors or common scenarios I've left out?
Old Mar 28, 11, 12:10 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
To simplify:

If you want to change your ticket, in anyway, and it's a non-refundable ticket, you have to pay the change fee of $150 ($250 for International). This would apply in all situations with the following exceptions:
  • You can use Same-Day Confirmed to change (no change in O/D locations) for $50 (free for GM, PM and DM)
  • You can re-deposit miles from award tickets (as a PM or DM) for free.

AMEX Companion tickets are "use it or lose it" You technically can't change anything.
Old Mar 28, 11, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets View Post
I haven't seen answers to these questions aggregated into a single easily-accessible reference, so if one exists, please point me there. Otherwise, perhaps this thread could become the reference I seek.

A. When traveling on a non-refundable purchased fare...

1. If I want to make changes prior to departure, what are my options and what fees apply if I want to
a) change the departure and/or return dates, but not the cities? Change fee + fare difference; changing the return can be different than if you need to change the outbound (see ticket reissue procedures)
b) change either the origin city or the destination? Change fee + fare difference
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight within 1 year of booking? Voucher back less the cancellation fee

a) change the departure and/or return dates, but not the cities? Change fee + fare difference
b) change either the origin city or the destination? Change fee + fare difference
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and apply any residual fare value to another flight within 1 year of booking? Voucher back less the cancellation fee
d) still want to get to my destination and resume the itinerary from there? SDC for $50 (or free for GM and above), or SDS if SDC is not available (only GM and above are eligibile), or if neither are available, change fee + fare difference.

B. When traveling on a Skymiles ticket...

a) change the departure and/or return dates, but not the cities? Pay $150 change fee, waived for PM and above, plus mileage difference
b) change either the origin city or the destination? Pay $150 change fee, waived for PM and above, plus mileage difference
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the miles in my account? Pay $150 redeposit fee, waived for PM and above

a) change the departure and/or return dates, but not the cities? Pay $150 change fee, waived for PM and above, plus mileage difference
b) change either the origin city or the destination? Pay $150 change fee, waived for PM and above, plus mileage difference
c) cancel the itinerary entirely and redeposit the miles in my account? Pay $150 redeposit fee, waived for PM and above
d) still want to get to my destination and resume the itinerary from there? SDC for $50 (or free for GM and above), or SDS if SDC is not available (only GM and above are eligibile), or if neither are available, change ticket and incur $150 change fee (waived for PM and above) + mileage difference.
Old Mar 30, 11, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Javabytes' replies are pretty much how I had understood the situation, but I recently read the published rules associated with a trip I was considering, just to make sure I understood correctly. The rules I read said essentially that the dates could be changed with a change fee and fare difference, but the origin and destination could not be changed at all. Did I find a rogue fare rule, or is the implementation different than what's actually published?

Another thing I've wondered about: When you need to make a change that involves paying the fare difference, how does Delta calculate the new fare? For instance, if I change only the outbound portion prior to departure, I assume they use the difference between round trip fares. But this seems to be an "unfair" windfall for DL. That is, since the return is not changed, I'm not asking them to buy a seat on the return at the later date, when the supply/demand has changed in their favor.

Conversely, if I've already flown the outbound leg and want to change the return, I assume the fare difference is the difference between the fare portions for just the return legs. Is this correct? If not, how could DL come up with a new fare for comparison? But if I'm right about this scenario, then it would seem to reinforce my thought that in the scenario above (changing only the outbound prior to departure), the fare difference should not be computed between round trip fares but merely the fare portions of the legs being changed.

Does that make sense?

I was in SLC skiing with my family last week when snow conditions prompted my wife to ask if we could just extend the trip by one day to get in some skiing on a good day rather than the brutal weather we had experienced. On that trip, two of us were on a DL Amex companion ticket, and two were on SkyBonus tix. I figured extending the trip would mean buying four new last-minute tix, and they might even be 1-ways. Or if there were another option it would take me most of the extra day to work out the complexity. We ended up sticking with the itinerary we had booked, but it started me wondering about these things.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Mar 30, 11 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 31, 11, 10:23 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
changing outbound calculated differently than changing return

You hit the nail on the head: When you change the outbound Delta charges the change fee plus the difference between the fare you purchased and the lowest (unless you want to pay more) round trip fare available at the time you are making the change.

This is what all legacy carriers do. This is not what Southwest does. If you have a round trip ticket on Southwest and change only the outbound Southwest honors the purchased return fare for the part of the trip you are not changing and only reprices the part you are actually changing. I don't know about other low-cost carriers.

On legacy carriers when you change only the return, whether or not you have already flown the outbound, and if a seat is available in the fare class of your originally purchased return, then they will only charge you the change fee.

Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure if other variables enter the mix what they will do. For example if your originally purchased return fare was only good Monday through Thursday and you change to return on Friday I'm not sure what they will do. I think they will charge the change fee plus the difference for traveling on Friday using the fare that was in existence at the time you originally purchased the round trip. I think. And I think this information is embedded deep in the fare rules.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: