Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This will hit MEM hard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by motytrah
That's a pretty boiler plat answer, but it rarely answers the question of value for who? The long term investor or the short term investor? They are making some painful short term cuts that will certainly cut costs. But long term those cuts may become a barrier to generating revenue once the economy recovers.
I guess only their finance team could answer that but one would think they're focused on long-term financial viability. My primary point is that DL has to make the decisions that they deem to be in their best interests and not based on the needs of individual passengers or communities.

Originally Posted by motytrah
It doesn't seem like it. Sure as part of the expansion they are quite willing to do strategic retreats, sometimes trying again later, sometimes not. I just can't recall them making cuts like this to a long term focus city.
True, but I'm not sure how this plays out differently since WN doesn't use a traditional hub and spoke model. They have mentioned that when the merger with FL is complete they will evaluate routes on a case by case basis. Additionally, to their credit, WN's operational model (and marketing) have been so successful they've never found themselves in the situation of needing to significantly curtail ops in a major market of theirs. The did pull out of SFO a while back but I don't think it was a major focus cirty for them at that time.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by personaltravelaid
1. Dr. Herenton was one of the most corrupt mayors. A lot of the airport commission is made up of his friends.... they are also quite corrupt.
Understatement of EPIC proportions.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Regardless of the wording, does anyone honestly expect DL to maintain pre-merger ops in the face of an anemic economy and fuel prices on the rise?

Folks...DL is a for-proit business and for-profit businesses are focused on ONE things: shareholder return. Every business creates value for its shareholders differently but in the end they are there to make money. WN is no different. If they can;t make money in a market they pull out as well.

If the economics of the MEM hub don't work they don't work. Paxs and politicians can pi@@ and moan all they want but it's a business decision pure and simple. When DL pulls back if WN or anyone else decides to make a play for MEM then DL will have to live with the consequences of their decision.
While I think your answer is FAR too generic, the bottom line is even if it is the pure financial decision and everything else, that doesn't mean we have to like it or applaud Delta for it.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Moebius01
While I think your answer is FAR too generic, the bottom line is even if it is the pure financial decision and everything else, that doesn't mean we have to like it or applaud Delta for it.

I think the main point here is that the MEM authority need to figure out a cheap airline that doesnt need as much O&D as DL or NWA needed.If travel was more affordable there would be more O&D.
There is no city ,except for MAYBE ATL, that you can fly to cheaply.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
I was under the impression that SFO had been cut a while back. Regardless, it is painful as was losing our directs to SAN.
+1
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:22 pm

I can't believe nobody said this yet...

The Sky Club in MEM is Awesome! On Par with DTW centerpoint or the good ones at ATL. Maybe even better. The people are incredible and the layout is smart so it is easy to find privacy and make some space around.

Or sit in the bar which has a sports bar slash theater feel to it. Great place to watch a game in between flights.

This is all pretty interesting to watch. As a frequent flier and stockholder I have mixed feelings.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Just looked at the BTR-MEM schedule for this summer. Up from twice daily to three a day.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Moebius01
So let's see. Delta's promises about not cutting hubs after the merger falls to the wayside pretty quick. Wonder what else they'll break before it's all said and done...
There has been a pattern of Delta making promises to win governmental approvals, and then Delta doing something different. I'm sure Delta will argue that circumstances changed.

Another recent instance is that in awarding Delta two Tokyo-Haneda routes, the government cited Delta's plan to operate 747-400's on the routes as making Delta superior to other airlines who proposed to operate 777's. Lo and behold, by the time Delta started flights they used 777's (and they are now both suspended after the earthquake).

It seems a bit cynical of an approach to tell people what they want to hear, probably with just enough qualifiers to allow wiggle room so you can cite changes in circumstance. Usually it's politicians that do this, but Delta seems to have it down to an art from, too.

PS: A hub like MEM needs sufficient O/D traffic to be profitable. If ATL were overwhelmed with delays, MEM could have a role as a relief hub. But now, instead of planning for traffic growth, DL is planning for consolidation, so they don't need MEM as a relief hub. If high fuel prices make the CRJ flying diseconomical, it is easy to see MEM in a downward spiral. Each reduction in spokes reduces the traffic on the remaining flights. For connecting itineraries, DL has alternate hubs to capture the traffic. If fuel prices stay high, and ATL can meet demand, MEM is headed for an outcome like CVG or PIT

Last edited by seacarl; Mar 26, 2011 at 6:57 am
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
There has been a pattern of Delta making promises to win governmental approvals, and then Delta doing something different. I'm sure Delta will argue that circumstances changed.

Another recent instance is that in awarding Delta two Tokyo-Haneda routes, the government cited Delta's plan to operate 747-400's on the routes as making Delta superior to other airlines who proposed to operate 777's. Lo and behold, by the time Delta started flights they used 777's (and they are now both suspended after the earthquake).

It seems a bit cynical of an approach to tell people what they want to hear, probably with just enough qualifiers to allow wiggle room so you can cite changes in circumstance. Usually it's politicians that do this, but Delta seems to have it down to an art from, too.
The Haneda routes were flown with 747's as indicated in their proposal. They will be switching to 777's when restarting in June.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
All I know is I don't think MEM will be getting the NRT flight with the 787.. but I may be wrong :-)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
All I know is I don't think MEM will be getting the NRT flight with the 787.. but I may be wrong :-)
Laughing out loud. Maybe just shuttle me back and forth to TUP
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
The Haneda routes were flown with 747's as indicated in their proposal. They will be switching to 777's when restarting in June.
So the 747 lasted how long? 3 weeks?

Just enough to get the political approval?

Last edited by seacarl; Mar 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:17 pm

How far did DL defer the 787? Till 2020? Certainly the fate of MEM will have been decided long before then
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
There is another way to look at O&D traffic and a Hub. Since ORD and ATL have higher O&D traffic then less reason to have to bring in tons of people to help fill planes and smaller hubs can be utilized. At one time they thought about putting a big wayport in the middle of the country, just a airport where people can chanyhe planes. Not sure where the employees would live under this concept.
The Southwest model seems to work fot them as they always have made money using multiple airports to handle connecting traffic instead of having giant hubs.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
There is another way to look at O&D traffic and a Hub. Since ORD and ATL have higher O&D traffic then less reason to have to bring in tons of people to help fill planes and smaller hubs can be utilized. At one time they thought about putting a big wayport in the middle of the country, just a airport where people can chanyhe planes. Not sure where the employees would live under this concept.
Because of generally lower airfares and the advent of LCCs, the economics of hubs have changed such that the profits of the hub are determined by (1) having sufficient O/D traffic at sufficient fares; and (2) connecting traffic to unique high fare destinations (e.g. JAC, ASE). The rest of the connecting traffic fills capacity they can't sell to high fare destinations or on an O/D basis. There is little benefit to the airline to use multiple hubs to serve a smaller high fare destination. DL doesn't care if they route you via ATL or MEM. They might if ATL were capacity constrained, but it's not. And they'll happily turn away low-yield connecting traffic at ATL to make room for high-yield traffic to smaller points once also served via MEM.

The proposal for a big mid-America wayport never took off because the economics now require a significant component of O/D traffic to make a hub work. Purely connecting traffic is both expensive to operate and on average is low yield.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.