Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This will hit MEM hard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Moebius01
Unfortunately, it seems Delta is fighting this pretty hard. From what I've heard, they bought up all the empty gates in A so WN would have only the 1 AirTran gate to work out of.
Originally Posted by eimsand
If the MEM airport authority agreed to this, they're crazy. DL clearly has no intentions of ramping up capacity at MEM. Allowing them to squat on vacant gates that they have no intention of using is completely and totally against the best interest of the community. If they made this agreement they need to be taken out back and beaten with a wet noodle.
I think Mobius01's sources are wrong - at least based on what I read in the Memphis Business Journal. (emphasis added)

Memphis economic leaders respond to Delta’s news

The airport will be able to proceed with a planned renovation to its gates on a quicker timeline. A project that was expected to take five to six years may now be finished in two.

Delta will combine all of its operations at Memphis International into one concourse — Concourse B — leaving open some valuable airport real estate. Those available gates create opportunities for airlines that want to either increase capacity or initiate new service.

“If Southwest (Airlines) wants to come in, they don’t have to wait,” Cox said. “30 days and they can be in business.”
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
20 flights/week to Amarillo and 21/week to McAllen...I'm not surprised. Unless you're from Texas, within maybe a 500 mile radius (ag, maybe oil/gas), or work for/with Pantex, how often are you going to be going to Amarillo? While I'm not completely familiar with MEM's ops and destinations, my guess is a lot of their traffic comes from the southeast and maybe Ohio River area...and I doubt they're going to Amarillo...or McAllen (city of about 100,000 along the Rio Grande in South Texas). If you're going to a secondary city in Texas you're probably flying CO or AA.

My perception is Delta often focuses on transiting their passengers through their hubs, rather than building up hubs with O&D. I would expect other non-O&D hubs to take a hit, too.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by Arkbulldog
SFO out hurts
I was under the impression that SFO had been cut a while back. Regardless, it is painful as was losing our directs to SAN.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Growth reduces per-unit costs.
Really? Plane, fuel, wages...none of these are reduced with a larger operation. In fact excessive growth will increase per-unit costs if there's a reduction in business as seats go empty. Airline growth really only works in a perfect world when demand is never reduced. Unfortunately for us I think the major carriers are finally starting to understand this.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by motytrah
What do you think feeds the mainline flights? It's the beginning of a downward spiral for DL @ MEM. DL is picking winners and loosers as far as hubs/focus cities go. A change like this make makes declining traffic a self fulfilling prophecy more or less.
Other mainline flights?

People seem to forget that in general, hubs don't work well when they're overly dependent on connections. ~150 daily flights is still a very respectable sized operation that can generate meaningful traffic flows. The smaller markets are better served via ATL anyways, and MEM still serves as an ATL reliever for larger markets.

Honestly, CVG and MEM would probably be more profitable if they had 80-100 mainline flights a day and little, if any, regional feed.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vxmike
Really? Plane, fuel, wages...none of these are reduced with a larger operation. In fact excessive growth will increase per-unit costs if there's a reduction in business as seats go empty. Airline growth really only works in a perfect world when demand is never reduced. Unfortunately for us I think the major carriers are finally starting to understand this.
There's a difference between excessive growth and growth. If an airline doesn't have some growth, its costs will increase as its fleet and staff age.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Skyteam
MEM has FedEX.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by respectable_man
As to the 9s, argument has always been they're paid for so operating costs come out lower than a mortgaged, more efficient plane.
DC-9's are fuel hogs. The primary costs are labor, maintenance, and fuel. Fuel has gone up 30%, which makes the costs go up. Maintenance is more intensive on older planes as well. So, costs are going up more then the newer, more fuel-efficient planes.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by twohundredfifty
MEM-TLH has been gone for a few months now and it's really annoying to not have an alternative to ATL.
+1. Now they're flying those terrible A319's into TLH from ATL. Never thought I'd say this, but boy do I miss those CRJ's!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Non-stops are nice, but one connection is fine. It is better to have more competition in Memphis.

Many former Northwest captives experience good growth and lower fares once the monpolisitic concentration that was fostered by Northwest declines.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by MilTan
Origin & Destination -- how many people are going to, or coming from, a city, rather than simply transiting through it. Most small-city hubs don't have particularly high O&D, since they either don't have a large population or are not an attractive destination for travelers.
thank you and NWstu for the explanation.

Oh wow. ZERO flights to/fro CHA now. Never liked flying there en route to the west coast anyway since that's a loss of a good 500 miles rather than connecting in the A and can always shuttle back to CHA if a flight is canned, but still...

of course if MEM was the destination from CHA, it was always a $400 flight :/
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vxmike
The world can be far from perfect and still have overall average per=passenger costs decline with growth. Crew wages are substantially set by flight, but ground wages are fixed by the peak needs of just three banks, so on a per-flight basis would decline with more banks of flights. Terminal rent is another fixed cost that would, on average, decline with flight growth.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Originally Posted by eimsand
If the MEM airport authority agreed to this, they're crazy. DL clearly has no intentions of ramping up capacity at MEM. Allowing them to squat on vacant gates that they have no intention of using is completely and totally against the best interest of the community. If they made this agreement they need to be taken out back and beaten with a wet noodle.
The MEM airport authority is still operating under the "mind-set" of Dr. Willy (very corrupt mayor of 20+ years). Now granted, I do not want WN to move in/expand (maybe 2 more gates, but no more). If you walk through the airport and observe some of the gates (which is easy between banks), there are some "odd" ways they organize gates. You also must remember this terminal was built in 1961(?).

A concourse: A up until quite recently (10-15 years?) did not have many jetways. Some gates still don't (upper numbers, where the SAABs are). 9E handles the operations in this concourse, and the flights are for the most part 9E and EV (1 OO and 1 OH flight). There are some gates that have 2+ boarding doors that have one main gate-counter and and numerous small podiums with scanners.

B: B also didn't have jetways from B32-B44 and didn't (Airlink/smaller DC9 flights used to be based there), and those were added in the 1990s when DL abandoned their big operation in A (Airlink opportunity). It's staffed by DL personnel and the flights are all on CR7, CR9, E75, D95, 32X, 73X, and the 332, no small RJs here.

C: C has a few gates for RJs that is staffed by 9E/OH (forgot). C is where UA, AC, CO, FL, and HP have their gates. They all have jetways.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by respectable_man
I understand how the small CRJs are inefficients but the turboprops are usually sippers and typically much more economical over short or even medium distances. As to the 9s, argument has always been they're paid for so operating costs come out lower than a mortgaged, more efficient plane.
In the mid-1990s, when NW decided to restore its old DC-9s instead of buying new, more fuel-efficient planes, that did make sense since fuel was about one-fourth of today's price. Yesterday, AA estimated that fuel cost it about $2.72/gal in the first quarter. At those prices, AA estimates that it will save about $2.2 million per year for every MD-80 replaced by a new 738 (AA has said each 738 replacement represents about 800k gallons of fuel saved annually). $2.2 million, when added to maintenance savings, will make quite a few of the payments on those new 738s. That's why AA has bought over 100 new 738s over the past couple of years.

Of course, 738s aren't the ideal replacement for DL's 125-seat DC-9s (73Gs would be ideal), but the same principles apply.

I agree about the turboprops, but AA dumped its SAABs when fuel spiked before and capacity was slashed. Maybe upcoming expensive maintenance (and customer pushback for anything with props) was the key.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree about the turboprops, but AA dumped its SAABs when fuel spiked before and capacity was slashed. Maybe upcoming expensive maintenance (and customer pushback for anything with props) was the key.
I also wonder about leasing costs as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.