Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles Cruise Marketing agency wants my SS number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

Does this sound legit? or does this sound like a scam? Marketing agency says they need my SS number, in order to 1099 me for the $2,000 value. I know the value should be lower, but my real concern , is this a scam to get my SS number?

Hello :

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is the email you were supposed to receive.

Between September and November 2010, you entered the “SkyMiles Cruises Million Miles Giveaway” at:
http://www.skymilescruises.com/promo...es/default.asp.

In case you don't remember, you were automatically entered when you put your, name, email address and Zip Code in the Delta "Cruise Deals Alerts" sign-up (http://www.skymilescruises.com/). We are the Sweepstakes Administrators (we wrote the Official Rules).

You have been chosen as a First Prize winner, pending your completion of an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release we will send to you. In order to send you your Affidavit, we need your full name and mailing address.

The prize is a 100,000 bonus miles awarded to your Skymiles account. The approximate value of the prize is $2,000.

Please reply to this email by 3/22/2011 with your name and address or it will be concluded definitively that the prize has been declined and, without further notice, an alternative winner will be selected in random drawings.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions during business hours, east coast time.

Congratulations,

Last edited by beachmiles; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
#4 Winner Selection: One (1) Grand Prize winner and five (5) First Prize winners will be chosen in random drawings approximately 20 days after Sweepstakes-End from all eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes. Winners will be notified within five (5) days after the selection is made via email or other form of communication in Sponsor's sole discretion. A winner will have three (3) business days to reply confirming his/her acceptance of the prize and providing all requested contact information. Failure to reply in the indicated time frame will declare that the prize has been refused and forfeited for all time and an alternative entry will be chosen in random drawings as outlined above. The prize will be awarded provided it is claimed properly.
According to the T&C you would have heard sometime mid-December... This seems false to me. I wonder if there is a way to contact the sweepstake sponsor to try and figure out what happened and if there has been a leak in information
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:24 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
if you did really win, then they need your SS# as they do have to report the value of your prize to the IRS.

Like dshides said, confirm you're a winner first.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:30 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I won a million miles sweepstakes and did get a 1099 for the $20k value.

The sweepstakes was through a vendor and all my interactions with them seemed very professional.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I won a $599 Apple gift card in a Delta sweepstakes last year and did not receive a 1099, possibly because it was under $600. All the communication was through a marketing company, not directly from Delta.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by andymo99
I won a million miles sweepstakes and did get a 1099 for the $20k value.
Not to turn this into a "Sky Miles or Sky Pesos" discussion, but there was a recent thread somewhere on FT about disputing the values placed on travel winnings by sweepstakes outfits. Several people reported being able to get a revised 1099 after complaining to the awarder that the value on the 1099 was way above market value.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Might be a Scam

I've spent an hour on the phone. Starting to sound like a scam.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dshides
According to the T&C you would have heard sometime mid-December... This seems false to me. I wonder if there is a way to contact the sweepstake sponsor to try and figure out what happened and if there has been a leak in information

Thanks, dshides. I just PM'd you asking for a copy of whatever info you saved on that sweepstakes. Maybe your screenshot contains someone I can contact.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You should be able to look at the links in the email and where the email is from... that usually is the giveaway to scams since they copy info/websites but the link actually leads to the copy hosted someplace else.

Did you contact skymilescruises directly instead of at whatever number was in the email? I would also argue that 100k miles is worth nowhere near $2000... Paywithmiles values it at 1c/mi, not 2c/mi as they are claiming.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Give them a fake one and see what they say....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
IMO...
After re-reading your original post, the email you received is so poorly written, no legit marketing company would let something like that go out to the public. I say Shena...wait, wrong term...SCAM!

Firs of all, they didn't address you by name: "Hello Mr/Mrs Beachmiles,"

Secondly, these lines in particular, "just ain't right..."

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is the email you were supposed to receive.
You have been chosen as a First Prize winner, pending your completion of an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release we will send to you. In order to send you your Affidavit, we need your full name and mailing address.
...with your name and address or it will be concluded definitively that the prize has been declined and, without further notice, an alternative winner will be selected in random drawings.
"an alternative winner (singular) selected in random drawings (plural)"

I say it's a scam and you should report it to your email provider and Delta.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Not so fast, I was told his uncle worked for BP and died in a trajic automibile collizion and left him Millions of dollars and if it is not insulting to ask, he will ask your assistince in getting it out of the Afrikan National Bank.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:17 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Not to turn this into a "Sky Miles or Sky Pesos" discussion, but there was a recent thread somewhere on FT about disputing the values placed on travel winnings by sweepstakes outfits. Several people reported being able to get a revised 1099 after complaining to the awarder that the value on the 1099 was way above market value.
No need to complain to the issuer of the 1099. There is a provision to adjust this on your tax return. See your tax preparer for details.

I wonder if someone won 100,000 miles, got a 1099 for $2,000 then went to buy a J ticket that would have cost $5,000, would he then ask to have the 1099 changed to be a higher amount????
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
No need to complain to the issuer of the 1099. There is a provision to adjust this on your tax return. See your tax preparer for details.

I wonder if someone won 100,000 miles, got a 1099 for $2,000 then went to buy a J ticket that would have cost $5,000, would he then ask to have the 1099 changed to be a higher amount????
I will be happy to accept the 1099 in return for 100,000 SkyMILES. My concern is giving my SS number to some stranger from " The Marketing Agency." I phoned delta Promotions department. They did not know of this promotion. But, they said it could be sponsored by " SkyMiles Cruises " , a Cruise Agency .
Skymiles Cruises was no help. I did report to Delta Fraud Dept. , but have not heard back from them. it's been 24 hours.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Have you not read some of the email responses from Delta?

Originally Posted by Crackerpup
IMO...
After re-reading your original post, the email you received is so poorly written, no legit marketing company would let something like that go out to the public. I say Shena...wait, wrong term...SCAM!

Firs of all, they didn't address you by name: "Hello Mr/Mrs Beachmiles,"

Secondly, these lines in particular, "just ain't right..."

"an alternative winner (singular) selected in random drawings (plural)"

I say it's a scam and you should report it to your email provider and Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.