Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ok to park bev cart in aisle during flight?

Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM and all the magic that comes with it

Just arrived home from DUB to ATL for my honeymoon, good flights in Y, bulkhead out, standard seats on return.

Had a new experience that I wanted to share and get feedback.

Prior to takeoff and prior to the BE curtain being drawn, I used the facility at the bulkhead between BE and coach of the 767-300ER Version 2.

Upon takeoff, the rear curtain of that bulkhead was drawn, telling me the bulkhead restroom was part of BE. I even asked to be sure and was told it was not for quasi-kettle use - fair enough. A number of other passengers did not see it the same way and ducked the curtain to use it. Without an announcement or comment, the purser took a beverage cart and wedged it in the aisle with foot switch access only from the adjacent galley. Effective, but somewhat alarming to me. Further, at least twice, other attendants ran into the cart until one of them shoved it enough out of the way to get by.

Is this normal or acceptable? I understand it was not during takeoff or landing and not an impedence to normal travel, but it still seems off to block the aisle in such a way.

On the return leg on a 767-300ER V1, a passenger was trapped in the restroom by a beverage cart set directly across the coach lav. I laughed a bit this go round, but it was still a little concerning for a locked down cart in the aisle and especially holding a passenger inside the lavatory.

These things common, uncommon? Appropriate?

The trip (honeymoon) was great, flights more than fine, but can't decide if these two things are comment worthy to Delta.

You thoughts or flames are appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WackyD
Just arrived home from DUB to ATL for my honeymoon, good flights in Y, bulkhead out, standard seats on return.

Had a new experience that I wanted to share and get feedback.

Prior to takeoff and prior to the BE curtain being drawn, I used the facility at the bulkhead between BE and coach of the 767-300ER Version 2.

Upon takeoff, the rear curtain of that bulkhead was drawn, telling me the bulkhead restroom was part of BE. I even asked to be sure and was told it was not for quasi-kettle use - fair enough. A number of other passengers did not see it the same way and ducked the curtain to use it.
The front three lavs on the 767-300 are intended for use by the BE cabin passengers. There is an announcement made at the beginning of each flight.

Whether or not this is specific FAA or TSA "rule" every airline is required to have an approved in-cabin security policy and all passengers are required to follow crew member instructions. That makes the announcement and arrangement obligatory.

I have seen FAs ask passengers to retreat and others who have not said anything when lav use policy was violated.

I have (flying BE), on one occasion, been berated by a Y passenger when I used the mid cabin BE lav "ahead" of her - her comment, "I was in line first for the bathroom." My comment was (after 8 hours on a 10 hour TATL) - your bathroom is back there (pointing to the rear of the plane). The FA in the galley chuckled.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Bicoastal is correct. The mid lavs are for BE.

Not that I've ever seen that enforced, but that's the way it's supposed to be. I ususally sit near the back of BE and see people from Y use it all the time. I guess your FA got tired of telling people it was off limits and just blocked the aisle.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Sky Miles, Air Tran A+
I think he's wondering if it's a safety issue. It seems to me from the diagram of the 767-300ER that the over-the-wing emergency exits are right there at the center lav. Would a beverage cart blocking the way to the exits be considered a safety hazard?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by ladytraveler
I think he's wondering if it's a safety issue. It seems to me from the diagram of the 767-300ER that the over-the-wing emergency exits are right there at the center lav. Would a beverage cart blocking the way to the exits be considered a safety hazard?
Probably not at 36,000 feet.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Probably not at 36,000 feet.
Particularly since the doors are inoperable at that altitude.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:29 am

I'd say it's a safety issue regardless of altitude. Here's why; if something were to happen at 36k ft requiring a very quick landing or huge rate of decent and that cart is there it could be such an emergency that the FA's may not be able to remove it before that emergency exit needs to be used. Also, depending on the incident the cart could become lodged in the aisle to a point where it blocks a passenger into their seat or is more permanently stuck in that position.

I'm pretty sure there are rules about leaving anything in the aisles unattended that blocks the aisle partially or completely. The FA's have to comply with those rules just like anyone else.

I'd send a note to DL and just let them know you're concerned for flight safety and proper training of the FA's.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atlantauser
I'd say it's a safety issue regardless of altitude. Here's why; if something were to happen at 36k ft requiring a very quick landing or huge rate of decent and that cart is there it could be such an emergency that the FA's may not be able to remove it before that emergency exit needs to be used. Also, depending on the incident the cart could become lodged in the aisle to a point where it blocks a passenger into their seat or is more permanently stuck in that position.

I'm pretty sure there are rules about leaving anything in the aisles unattended that blocks the aisle partially or completely. The FA's have to comply with those rules just like anyone else.

I'd send a note to DL and just let them know you're concerned for flight safety and proper training of the FA's.
That's what I was getting at, sorry if my questions was off the mark.

The plane I was one had curtains on both sides of the lav at the BE bulkhead (with the rear ones in use), meaning to me the crew could choose which cabin to "assign" that lav to via curtain and it was obvious to me it was for the use of BE.

Calling it an "unattended" item blocking the aisle is pretty much the perfect way to sum it up.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

From the FAA, Cabin Safety and Flight Attendant Management: General Information

http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V0...03_033_006.htm

Seems to be a recommendation, not a binding requirement.

Thanks for making me think and look a bit more!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Considering that the galleys are usually between emergency exits and there is almost always an unstowed cart or two in a galley area, another cart elsewhere is of little consequence.

Generally, if you can reach a lav, you can use it, but blocking the path between cabins with a cart is not at all unusual.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bicostal
I have (flying BE), on one occasion, been berated by a Y passenger when I used the mid cabin BE lav "ahead" of her - her comment, "I was in line first for the bathroom." My comment was (after 8 hours on a 10 hour TATL) - your bathroom is back there (pointing to the rear of the plane). The FA in the galley chuckled.
Wow. Congratulations on being a tool. I hope it made you feel great.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I'd say it's a safety issue regardless of altitude. Here's why; if something were to happen at 36k ft requiring a very quick landing or huge rate of decent and that cart is there it could be such an emergency that the FA's may not be able to remove it before that emergency exit needs to be used.
There are two situations here, simplified of course. First, there is decompression of the cabin for some reason and the aircraft is under control. In this case the crew will try to get the aircraft to 15k feet as quickly as possible and at -6000 feet a minute (a reasonable rate under the circumstances) there would be over 3 minutes for people to return to their seats and the FAs to clear the emergengy exits and aisles. Then typically, once under 15k feet the aircraft would have time to reach an airport and land.

Second, the aircraft is not under control in which case it will crash profoundly and there wouldn't be any need for the exits anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:55 pm
Suspended

I guess meal service needs to be canceled so there are no carts blocking the aisles.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:43 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
I guess meal service needs to be canceled so there are no carts blocking the aisles.
But aren't those carts attended and under control of at least one FA?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Josher747
Wow. Congratulations on being a tool. I hope it made you feel great.
I felt great, especially after I used the lav. If there is an announcment that "due to security (TSA, FAA) rules" that the lavs are to be segregated, wouldn't it be nice if all FAs would do their job and ensure that this occurs?

Safety concerns aside, you have to give the FA credit for innovative thinking. Here they effectively block Y access to the BE lav ^ AND still have time to sit and chat with the other FA's!

We have a winner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.