Japan Earthquake and Skymiles flight

Old Mar 12, 11, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Japan Earthquake and Skymiles flight

I have a Delta flight to Tokyo scheduled 3/24 as part of a 3 week vacation, however the recent earthquake in Japan, and ensuing nuclear reactor issues, are concerning me. My flight was paid for with Skymiles. I know some airlines are allowing passengers to reschedule/ reroute flights away from Japan for the next few days, unfortunately, my date of departure is too far out.

Any advice about how I should reschedule or reroute my flight? Any ideas about where I should possibly reroute to? I don't currently have a visa for China. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 11, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
You might consider waiting for a couple more days to see if the waiver gets extended (my guess is that it will not be necessary for DL to extend the waiver).

Early spring is a wonderful time of year in Japan and a visit to Tokyo and points south (towards Kyoto, Osaka and Nagoya) is likely to be unaffected by the recent tragic events particularly north of Tokyo.
Old Mar 12, 11, 4:04 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
You can make changes to you SkyMiles reservation for $150. That may be an option if you do not feel comfortable transiting through Japan.
Old Mar 12, 11, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
You might consider waiting for a couple more days to see if the waiver gets extended (my guess is that it will not be necessary for DL to extend the waiver).

Early spring is a wonderful time of year in Japan and a visit to Tokyo and points south (towards Kyoto, Osaka and Nagoya) is likely to be unaffected by the recent tragic events particularly north of Tokyo.
My vacation is actually for Tokyo and the areas south of Tokyo- Kyoto, Osaka, and the Kyushu region. I guess I might wait a few more days for updated news about the nuclear generators before rescheduling.
Old Mar 12, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by flyerred View Post
My vacation is actually for Tokyo and the areas south of Tokyo- Kyoto, Osaka, and the Kyushu region. I guess I might wait a few more days for updated news about the nuclear generators before rescheduling.
I'm flying out 3/27 and heading in the same direction. My current plan is to wait until more or less the last minute to decide, as it's easier to cancel at the last minute than to reinstate a canceled trip.
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
DL Says You Can Make Free Changes to Your Itinerary

Advisory: Earthquake in Japan

Customers traveling to/from Japan may make changes to travel with no fees or penalties. Check our advisory for rebooking options.
Last Updated: March 12, 2011, 8pm EST (-5 GMT)
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
I'm on the same boat but on a revenue ticket. My trip is a Scout/School fieldtrip with students, 19 students and 5 chaperones, departing to Japan Mar 21 and returning April 3. Per US Department of State, they are discouraging travelers on a non-essential traveler to Japan at this time, with an alert expiring April 1, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_5377.html however, Delta has not made any movement.

Our parents and students are getting worried to be locked into this itinerary. We have begun writing to the US Department of State and our local congressman and are awaiting their responses. Traveling there when Japan is trying to begin its recovery seems so wrong, not to mention the danger related to ongoing earthquakes and tsunamis.

I had hoped Delta would make it a priority and help us....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Mar 12, 11 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
Advisory: Earthquake in Japan

Customers traveling to/from Japan may make changes to travel with no fees or penalties. Check our advisory for rebooking options.
Last Updated: March 12, 2011, 8pm EST (-5 GMT)
This is the same waiver as before, and with the same responses from the rez agents, NO, except for March 11-15 travelers.....

Jiburi
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
This is the same waiver as before, and with the same responses from the rez agents, NO, except for March 11-15 travelers.....

Jiburi
Have you asked to speak to a supervisor at DL reservations?
Old Mar 12, 11, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
Have you asked to speak to a supervisor at DL reservations?
Will try that....see if I get anywhere.....
Old Mar 12, 11, 10:05 pm

...and again, the long version of the same answer... no. The sup says.....

As our ticket is a restricted tickets, our flight would have to be impacted (namely cancelled) before we would qualify for a change waiver.....

jiburi
Old Mar 12, 11, 10:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist

Keeping an eye on things is the best plan of course. You could try to reschedule a flight into KIX (Osaka) though there aren't many these days. Skipping Tokyo wouldn't be the end of the world (admittedly I am biased as I am in Kansai).

As long as the trains and airports are operating in Tokyo, and I suspect they'll be back to 100% in the next two days, your travels should be unaffected. This is especially true if you are traveling by shinkasen.

Osaka is 500 miles from Sendai, and Kyushu about 900 miles.
A comparison would be Detroit to New York city (600 miles).
Old Mar 13, 11, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta MM
I used miles to get two Singapore/Tokyo/Singapore tickets for 20,000 miles. I was scheduled to go there next weekend but I've decided to let things calm down and will postpone the trip indefinitely.

As a Platinum Elite I know I can cancel the tickets and get a full refund/miles redeposited. But if I do that, when I decide to go (probably in December) thanks to the increase in intra-Asia mileage requirements, the cost will be 45,000 miles each. Since there are no low mileage tickets now for the dates in December, I'm wondering if rather than cancelling, I can change the dates for flights to November (where there are low mileage tickets) and then change the dates again should low mileage flights open in December.

As a Platinum Elite can I change the dates multiple times and keep the mileage at 20,000 or at some point would I be expected to use 45,000 miles?
Old Mar 13, 11, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
...and again, the long version of the same answer... no. The sup says.....

As our ticket is a restricted tickets, our flight would have to be impacted (namely cancelled) before we would qualify for a change waiver.....

jiburi
This seems to be less than bright. What happens if, say, you intended to travel in the Sendai area upon arriving in Japan, and there's no city left?
Old Mar 13, 11, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Platinum
I also scheduled to leave from SEA-HKG via NRT on 3/24. I wish DL would let me reroute to the DTW-HKG nonstop.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: