Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Widgets

If you scan a boarding pass for a different flight.
Thanks. It’s not impossible as I connected.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’ve had it happen on a OW paid F flight where I selected my seat at the time of purchase. I’ve had it happen quite a few times, scanning my BP with the same seating information on it that the seat “change” ticket reflected.

I thought it was commonplace, so I never bothered to think anything of it.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I’ve had it happen on a OW paid F flight where I selected my seat at the time of purchase. I’ve had it happen quite a few times, scanning my BP with the same seating information on it that the seat “change” ticket reflected.

I thought it was commonplace, so I never bothered to think anything of it.
I only fly Delta a dozen or so times per year so it’s possible it is common and for whatever reason it has never happened for me. Thanks, I’ll just treat these as free bookmarks now that I know not to worry about them.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Widgets

If you scan a boarding pass for a different flight.
I was in a hurry one day and I lost my boarding pass, so I used the barcode on my SkyClub card to board (apparently any barcode with your SkyMiles number will work). It printed a seat slip for me.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by highops
So, is there any reason to get the usual seat change slip if your seat hasn’t changed?
if you scan your medallion card or barcode itinerary rather than your Boarding Pass. The machine will spit out your seat assignment.
highops likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Not sure if it is SHEENA but hadn’t seen this before.

Last night ATL-SRQ (DL 1878) I am in 2B and at the end of boarding there are 2 seats left in F. GA brings up one person from Y and I can hear her tell the FA she will be bringing up 11A also (think it was A but definitely row 11).

A DL captain in uniform exits the cockpit almost simultaneously to this and the GA tells him to take any open seat in the back. The captain asks what about this one (it is 3B behind me) and after a few second pause the GA says go ahead and take it. Door closes and 11A is obviously not brought up.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77

Last night ATL-SRQ (DL 1878) I am in 2B and at the end of boarding there are 2 seats left in F. GA brings up one person from Y and I can hear her tell the FA she will be bringing up 11A also (think it was A but definitely row 11).

A DL captain in uniform exits the cockpit almost simultaneously to this and the GA tells him to take any open seat in the back. The captain asks what about this one (it is 3B behind me) and after a few second pause the GA says go ahead and take it. Door closes and 11A is obviously not brought up.
It looks bad to me, but did you notice whether there were elites on the upgrade list? The alternative is that 11A is a nonrev who lost a FC seat to a uniformed pilot who was either deadheading after duty or flying nonrev. The deadheading explanation is less likely IMO as deadheading employees are entitled to assigned seats, although someone could offer to take a jumpseat in order to permit more revenue or nonrevenue passengers to get onto the flight, so presumably this would have happened only if the flight had been full, which apparently it wasn't, so my guess is that the pilot was flying nonrev.

You could report this to DL and say that as an elite you're concerned since it certainly looked bad to you.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It looks bad to me, but did you notice whether there were elites on the upgrade list? The alternative is that 11A is a nonrev who lost a FC seat to a uniformed pilot who was either deadheading after duty or flying nonrev. The deadheading explanation is less likely IMO as deadheading employees are entitled to assigned seats, although someone could offer to take a jumpseat in order to permit more revenue or nonrevenue passengers to get onto the flight, so presumably this would have happened only if the flight had been full, which apparently it wasn't, so my guess is that the pilot was flying nonrev.

You could report this to DL and say that as an elite you're concerned since it certainly looked bad to you.
Last I looked the upgrade list was in the 30's and the flght was either full or almost full. No one sat in the jumpseat that I could tell.
Living in FL for 5 years (PBI, TPA/SRQ have been my home airports) and I have never been on a flight without a huge upgrade list to and from ATL (especially this time of year).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Last I looked the upgrade list was in the 30's and the flght was either full or almost full. No one sat in the jumpseat that I could tell.
Living in FL for 5 years (PBI, TPA/SRQ have been my home airports) and I have never been on a flight without a huge upgrade list to and from ATL (especially this time of year).
I'm calling the pilot's initial plan to sit in in the cockpit the jumpseat.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:58 pm

As far as I know jumpseat(ing) and non-rev(ing) are 2 separate things...
A pilot can ask GA to ride in jumpseat - in which case GA will not put the pilot on stand by list to clear as non-rev.

Being a non-rev carries the risk of not being on the flight if its overbooked so sometimes pilots will proactively ask to ride in jumpseat

BUT in case the pilot instantly morphed into a non-rev as then he will be entitled to 'best available' seat per contract which in this case happens to be 3B.

I'd say the pilot had his cake and ate it too!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I would have spoken up and said there are 30+ people still on the upgrade list, so how about upgrading the next person into that empty seat. Maybe it's me, but I don't mind speaking up and tackling difficult conversations like this, although many others do not - hence there is not much to complain about after the fact vs confronting the error and then escalating after arrival if the GA refused to follow procedures.
puck021, FLYPWM, apodo77 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jeet
As far as I know jumpseat(ing) and non-rev(ing) are 2 separate things...
A pilot can ask GA to ride in jumpseat - in which case GA will not put the pilot on stand by list to clear as non-rev.

Being a non-rev carries the risk of not being on the flight if its overbooked so sometimes pilots will proactively ask to ride in jumpseat

BUT in case the pilot instantly morphed into a non-rev as then he will be entitled to 'best available' seat per contract which in this case happens to be 3B.

I'd say the pilot had his cake and ate it too!
3B wasn't available, it was supposed to go to the medallion in 11A.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
3B wasn't available, it was supposed to go to the medallion in 11A.
Agree. If GA had already printed new BP for 11A, then yes the seat was not available.
If 11A checked later in app and saw they were upgraded they have a valid case to complain and ask for compensation
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:05 pm

Upgrade Shena(nigans)?

Folks,

Just curious if I witnessed some upgrade shenanigans today. I was #2 on the upgrade list for First on a Delta mainline flight, and since yesterday there were "0" seats available in the app, and "sold out" for purchase. At the gate, some guy and a girlfriend half his age pushed in front of everyone in the boarding line and the receipt printer on the boarding scanner printed a new seat assignment which was read out as "1A and 1B" for them. The person in front of me on the upgrade list did not get upgraded, nor did I.

Is there a way to jump the upgrade line? Is this a DL360? Or did someone in the DL call center / airport make an executive decision?

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
A seat assignment ticket being printed out doesn't always mean it was an upgrade. I couldn't tell you why, but I have been upgraded at the 5 days out before so my boarding pass shows 1A, but the printer prints out the same exact seat assignment after scanning my boarding pass.

Might be shena, but might not be. Hard to know unless we knew more about the people in 1A and 1B

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.