Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Whoa,whoa,whoa! I come here for the shenanigans, not for C+ comparisons. Let’s get back on track.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."
davetravels and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."
Hyperbole aside, are you seriously saying that *any* C+ seat isn't a better experience than *any* comparable (meaning non exit row, aisle-for-aisle, window-for-window, middle-for-middle) coach seat? That apart from all marketing BS , having 3" of extra knee room isn't better than *not* having 3" of extra room?

You're not related to Marie Antionette - are you?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not defending anyone, but the term “Upgrade” in association with C+ has greatly expanded the scope of the discussion in this thread (which is coming up on 8 years of age)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
DL5391 DCA-JFK ... I was 2 of 11 for 2 at T-3 hrs, but DL wasn’t selling F on the flight as a stand-alone or as part of DCA-JFK-SEA ... got to the gate at T-20 and was now 2 of 14 for 1, with the previous #1 having cleared into 1D

when the door closed, 1A was occupied by a guy in a grey suit with a DL name badge who had been chatting with the FA in the galley for a couple minutes, and the UG list on the app still said the same thing ... the new #1 was in her C+ seat, having cleared at some point in the past, and the GA didn’t even look toward the aft cabin when she came to deliver the final paperwork to the crew

I obviously don’t have a stake in this particular episode since I wouldn’t have been in F anyway, but unless Mr Grey Suit was NRPS it looks pretty bad
NRPS (Y) does not have upgrade priority over medallions.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Hyperbole aside, are you seriously saying that *any* C+ seat isn't a better experience than *any* comparable (meaning non exit row, aisle-for-aisle, window-for-window, middle-for-middle) coach seat? That apart from all marketing BS , having 3" of extra knee room isn't better than *not* having 3" of extra room?

You're not related to Marie Antionette - are you?
I don't want to speak for the poster, but it doesn't seem like that's the point. An aisle seat in row 20 is objectively much better than a middle seat in row 39 with no recline—but it doesn't mean that it's an upgrade in the sense that frequent flyers use the word.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SamOF
I don't want to speak for the poster, but it doesn't seem like that's the point. An aisle seat in row 20 is objectively much better than a middle seat in row 39 with no recline—but it doesn't mean that it's an upgrade in the sense that frequent flyers use the word.
Please don't give DL any ideas. Every seat type on the aircraft could be sold with a different fare class and restricted "upgrade" inventory availability for elites. It's just product differentiation and mass customization transferred to a "service" industry.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by sethb
NRPS (Y) does not have upgrade priority over medallions.
and your point is? 1A on a CR9 isn't Y, GIDS and the app showed one F seat left, all 12 were occupied when the door closed
Mr Grey Suit was among the crowd waiting for pink-tag bags at JFK; I suspect he's a FA whose duty day started that evening ...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:18 am

The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade.

Is a C+ middle better than an aisle or window farther back? No, not for most people. But that's not a valid comparison because I'm sure that most people would agree that *no* middle is better than *any* window or aisle. But seat type for seat type, saying that C+ isn't better than any comparable Y seat on the plane is either disingenuous or snobbery.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade ... is either disingenuous or snobbery.
considering the posting history of the individual to whom you were responding ...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jrl767
and your point is? 1A on a CR9 isn't Y, GIDS and the app showed one F seat left, all 12 were occupied when the door closed
Mr Grey Suit was among the crowd waiting for pink-tag bags at JFK; I suspect he's a FA whose duty day started that evening ...
"but unless Mr Grey Suit was NRPS it looks pretty bad"

Even if he was NRPS, medallions should generally still have upgrade priority.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade.

Is a C+ middle better than an aisle or window farther back? No, not for most people. But that's not a valid comparison because I'm sure that most people would agree that *no* middle is better than *any* window or aisle. But seat type for seat type, saying that C+ isn't better than any comparable Y seat on the plane is either disingenuous or snobbery.
But the question isn't if it's better---as I said, a C- aisle is "better" than a C- middle. The question is whether it's properly called an "upgrade." I honestly don't really have an opinion on that, but you just keep making the point that C+ is better, and that's just not the argument.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:10 pm

But the question isn't if it's better---as I said, a C- aisle is "better" than a C- middle. The question is whether it's properly called an "upgrade." I honestly don't really have an opinion on that, but you just keep making the point that C+ is better, and that's just not the argument.
Oh, for crying out loud!

The specific post that I QUOTED said the following: DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."

So yes - that *is* the argument. Delta has selected a group of seats closer to the front of the plane, increased the pitch by a noticeable amount, provided free adult beverages, headphones, and snacks. They have decided to limit access by either requiring that you pay extra for it or qualify in some predefined way to sit there for free. It's not important that you personally might not find sufficient value in those things to pay for them with actual money, but it is extraordinarily disingenuous to suggest that having an opportunity to move from a seat with fewer benefits to a seat with more benefits isn't by definition an "upgrade".

Are you suggesting that Delta should reconfigure them back to standard Y pitch and ditch the freebies? Why?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
So, is there any reason to get the usual seat change slip if your seat hasn’t changed?

I was #2 on the upgrade list and was boarding last because I had checked a bag and didn’t want to sit on the plane any longer than I had to. When I scanned I got a seat change slip with my original seat on it.

I had the Airbus exit row seat with no seat in front of me, and lots of new drink vouchers, so it was no big deal other than the principle (and if appropriate the apology miles).

Flight 727 from ATL to MBJ on Sunday.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by highops
So, is there any reason to get the usual seat change slip if your seat hasn’t changed?

I was #2 on the upgrade list and was boarding last because I had checked a bag and didn’t want to sit on the plane any longer than I had to. When I scanned I got a seat change slip with my original seat on it.

I had the Airbus exit row seat with no seat in front of me, and lots of new drink vouchers, so it was no big deal other than the principle (and if appropriate the apology miles).

Flight 727 from ATL to MBJ on Sunday.
If you scan a boarding pass for a different flight.
davetravels likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.