Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
DL 5238 today ORD-CVG. 2 or 8 for C+ up until boarding. Went to board figuring row 1 seat assignment would pop up. Nope. Asked gate agent that also had a redcoat, who simply said someone was ahead of me. Went to my exit row seat. Looked at upgrade list after boarding and only 1 cleared, yet a pilot deadheading got the seat. I know the pilot was deadheading as he greeted a colleague deplaning from our arrival and overheard their conversation. I really don’t care about the seat on a short flight. Karma worked out as I was the only person in my exit row. Shena or not?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
YBYL? If your "upgrade" (C+ on a CRJ-200???) hasn't cleared yet, the new seat assignment ticket won't pop out when you board.

I have the impression that some (lazy) GAs don't bother to process C+ "upgrades" although it's more common when C+ seats become available due to some elites in C+ being upgraded to FC.

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:25 am

MSP,

C+ upgrades were processed. GA said people were ahead of me. I was 2 of 8 for 2 seats when they called boarding. Find it hard to believe someone jumped ahead in 30 seconds. The only benefit to C+ in this case is to get off these awful CRJ200s. The real issue is the deadhead pilot who grabbed my spot. I simply asked the question about Shena, to see if procedure was followed. While a small slight, we see examples of this behavior when it is more impactful like for F on longer segments.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
MSP,

C+ upgrades were processed. GA said people were ahead of me. I was 2 of 8 for 2 seats when they called boarding. Find it hard to believe someone jumped ahead in 30 seconds. The only benefit to C+ in this case is to get off these awful CRJ200s. The real issue is the deadhead pilot who grabbed my spot. I simply asked the question about Shena, to see if procedure was followed. While a small slight, we see examples of this behavior when it is more impactful like for F on longer segments.
Was there also a standby list? In principle, there could be a displaced passenger without a seat assignment who had purchased a C+ fare but didn't have a (C+) seat assignment. IIRC such a customer would be ahead in priority but not appear on the "upgrade" list.

Still, why did you board if you thought you were entitled to a C+ seat "upgrade"?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:14 am

“C+ upgrades were processed. GA said people were ahead of me. I was 2 of 8 for 2 seats when they called boarding.”

Person taking 1 of 2 seats was deadhead pilot
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:25 am

I believe dead heading pilots are entitled to 'best available' seat by contract. no shena here.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:42 am
HMO

Originally Posted by jeet
I believe dead heading pilots are entitled to 'best available' seat by contract. no shena here.
The question is:
Before or after processing upgrades?
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jeet
This was the response I was looking for.... does a deadhead pilot merit the bump, or was the GA doing a favor for a coworker over a loyal FF.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by JCWCVG
This was the response I was looking for.... does a deadhead pilot merit the bump, or was the GA doing a favor for a coworker over a loyal FF.
What I understood from your posting is that there were 2 seats available and then suddenly 1 seat was gone and you lost the chance for an upgrade. It was not like you saw yourself upgraded in the app and then got demoted back to the original seat.
GA effectively reduced the seats available for upgrade - by setting 1 aside for the pilot - no harm no foul.

I'd argue that even if someone was upgraded and then got downgraded - maybe because the pilot insisted on the 'better' seat or GA really wanted to give that seat to pilot, this is not Shena.
On the other hand I have seen multiple cases where the pilot was happy to ride in the jump seat in cockpit.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by pvn
In any case, there is probably a non-shena explanation (though I can't think of a good one) but this seems fishy enough that it's probably worth reporting.
It took a couple weeks, but Delta finally responded. Still no explanation as to why, but I suspect they suspect something is off as they credited my account with a travel voucher.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL5391 DCA-JFK ... I was 2 of 11 for 2 at T-3 hrs, but DL wasn’t selling F on the flight as a stand-alone or as part of DCA-JFK-SEA ... got to the gate at T-20 and was now 2 of 14 for 1, with the previous #1 having cleared into 1D

when the door closed, 1A was occupied by a guy in a grey suit with a DL name badge who had been chatting with the FA in the galley for a couple minutes, and the UG list on the app still said the same thing ... the new #1 was in her C+ seat, having cleared at some point in the past, and the GA didn’t even look toward the aft cabin when she came to deliver the final paperwork to the crew

I obviously don’t have a stake in this particular episode since I wouldn’t have been in F anyway, but unless Mr Grey Suit was NRPS it looks pretty bad
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA guy here. Can someone please clarify for me. C+ is DL's version of AA's MCE? Designated coach seats with a few inches of more leg room (FKA MRTC circa 2002 lol).

There is an upgrade list for C+??
What is F on delta called?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA guy here. Can someone please clarify for me. C+ is DL's version of AA's MCE? Designated coach seats with a few inches of more leg room (FKA MRTC circa 2002 lol).

There is an upgrade list for C+??
What is F on delta called?
Basically, yes. C+ is a separate fare class so you either buy the class or get upgraded to it. It runs on an auotmated upgrade list until the check in UG list opens and populates.

If you buy C+ domestically, you can same day confirm to C+ on any other routing with seat availability - fare class availability match not required.

More legroom, included alcohol (without issues for doubles or more than 1 drink), upgraded snacks on 901+ mile routes, and some greater recline depending on aircraft.

F is called First Class.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Basically, yes. C+ is a separate fare class so you either buy the class or get upgraded to it. It runs on an auotmated upgrade list until the check in UG list opens and populates.

If you buy C+ domestically, you can same day confirm to C+ on any other routing with seat availability - fare class availability match not required.

More legroom, included alcohol (without issues for doubles or more than 1 drink), upgraded snacks on 901+ mile routes, and some greater recline depending on aircraft.

F is called First Class.
Thanks. If you are an EXP with AA you get a free BOB meal so the upgraded snacks is moot, but that's because if your status, not selecting MCE. However, everyone gets free drinks regardless of status in MCE (despite early rumors that you couldn't get more than one, doubles, etc--that isn't true).
So domestic F flights are F but international J is branded D1? Like UA does for Polaris? AA is just business but of course it gets confusing from there are both say, dfw-mex and dfw - lhr are both considered "business" by AA but the Mexico City flight is just a 738 with domestic F (oh and maybe a hot towel) whereas the Heathrow flight is proper lie flats.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:58 am

There are some D1 lite routes, such as NRT-SIN and vv. Also, D1 aircraft don't all have the same seats and some now have suites, so the comparison to UA Polaris isn't very exact and DL doesn't operate any separate D1 or FC lounges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.