Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:30 pm

Correct, it is not automatic. It is true that there are many times in hubs or popular cities where non-revs pile up and by end of day, quite a number may be on a list for the last flight out but several of them are no longer in the gatehouse.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
Correct, it is not automatic. It is true that there are many times in hubs or popular cities where non-revs pile up and by end of day, quite a number may be on a list for the last flight out but several of them are no longer in the gatehouse.
But how would the GA know this? Wouldn't SOP be just to clear in the order of the list and post the seat assignments on GIDS, expecting each standby then to just come to the podium to board? Or does the GA typically call names before processing the standby? [DL GAs certainly don't do this for upgrades, and I can't recall when I last heard the GA calling names to give seat assignments at the end of the boarding process, although they do seem to call names for VDB volunteers.] Maybe I don't spend enough time in the gatehouse.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:42 am

The agent would not know. All I am saying is that as to the puzzlement that " ...we then apparently left with a couple people still on the standby list and not cleared for the flight, despite the app still showing something like four seats available.", one way that happens is that non-revs may be on the list but may have given up after standing by previously. They may have been retained on the standby list and not had themselves deleted.
Widgets likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
The agent would not know. All I am saying is that as to the puzzlement that " ...we then apparently left with a couple people still on the standby list and not cleared for the flight, despite the app still showing something like four seats available.", one way that happens is that non-revs may be on the list but may have given up after standing by previously. They may have been retained on the standby list and not had themselves deleted.
I'm confused. In this scenario, the GA would have cleared them onto the flight as nonrevs, and they would have a seat assignement next to their "name" on the standby list, right? Would it be SOP for the GA to verify somehow that these people are at the gate before clearing them onto the flight?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. In this scenario, the GA would have cleared them onto the flight as nonrevs, and they would have a seat assignement next to their "name" on the standby list, right? Would it be SOP for the GA to verify somehow that these people are at the gate before clearing them onto the flight?
If the GA has a long standby list and many of them aren’t there, they’ll often call names before clearing to try to save time. Any nonrevs not present for boarding close to departure forfeit their opportunity to board.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I've noticed some discrepancies with the app and the gate monitor. My assumption is that passengers with basic economy fares waiting for a seat disappear from the list once they are assigned a seat, rather than showing cleared on the app, while their name still shows on the gate display. Has someone seen something similar?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I've noticed some discrepancies with the app and the gate monitor. My assumption is that passengers with basic economy fares waiting for a seat disappear from the list once they are assigned a seat, rather than showing cleared on the app, while their name still shows on the gate display. Has someone seen something similar?
I can attest to the app portion of this. My mother flew out yesterday PNS-ATL-PDX in BE. She had an assigned seat on PNS-ATL for some weird reason but the ATL-PDX portion was "see gate agent for seat assignment". She was on the standby list for that segment in the app even before leaving PNS. When she got her seat assignment in ATL it still showed her and others with check marks next to their names on the standby list. Of course I wasn't their to compare to gate monitor.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I can attest to the app portion of this. My mother flew out yesterday PNS-ATL-PDX in BE. She had an assigned seat on PNS-ATL for some weird reason but the ATL-PDX portion was "see gate agent for seat assignment". She was on the standby list for that segment in the app even before leaving PNS. When she got her seat assignment in ATL it still showed her and others with check marks next to their names on the standby list. Of course I wasn't their to compare to gate monitor.
Yes that's correct
SDQBound and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Had some non-shena that would make many here quite happy. F had 8 empty seats after clearing the only medallion on the flight (me). My companion was booked separately on a mileage ticket and was told by reservations that the ticket was not eligible for upgrades, but I persisted and asked the GA. She also told that the ticket was not eligible for upgrades but she would see what she could do. The flight crew showed up late from their hotel and after a very public ripping of them for being late and not notifying anyone^, I boarded, and my companion received a nice surprise upon boarding a minute later^ 7 nonrevs were then cleared into F. We were some very happy customers!!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:23 pm

I saw a GA move someone up to FC on a delayed domestic flight. The seat later showed up on the upgrade list as the upgrade having cleared. Well done in DTW.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: DL PM
DL1209 PIT-ATL on 8-Dec-18, seat 2B is empty in-flight while the app shows 6 people on the upgrade list with 1 seat still available. Shameful laziness on the part of the GAs as there were two people working the gate, one was just standing there during much of boarding, and the flight left 2 mins early (so certainly time to hand a new BP to the FA at door close).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by bcphitau
DL1209 PIT-ATL on 8-Dec-18, seat 2B is empty in-flight while the app shows 6 people on the upgrade list with 1 seat still available. Shameful laziness on the part of the GAs as there were two people working the gate, one was just standing there during much of boarding, and the flight left 2 mins early (so certainly time to hand a new BP to the FA at door close).
Please report this to DL.
AeRoSpaceman, MarkP24 and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Need some help explaining this one

not sure if this thread is all that active but definitely not worth a new one. Here’s the situation and I’m hoping someone can explain possible scenarios to me:

I was left as #1 on the first class upgrade list as boarding began for 0 seats. I waited until the end of boarding and everyone was asked to board. I took my seat in 11B. However we waited for a while and seats 3A and 3B remained open. Then, watching the upgrade list on the Delta app I saw the number of available seats change from 0 to 2 about 10 minutes prior to departure. Then it changed back to zero without any change to the upgrade list shown on the app. No one was listed as upgraded to those seats. The only upgrade shown was the person in 3D who was previously ahead of me on the list and upgraded prior to boarding. Then a gate agent came onboard with 2 boarding passes and moved 2 people from row 13 into the two open first class seats.

I have always appreciated the transparency of Delta’s process. But in this case, I can’t figure it out. It’s not like there was a rush to get out on time given that people from two rows behind me who had also already boarded were moved up despite seemingly being nowhere on the upgrade list. Any theories?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by azeckel

I have always appreciated the transparency of Delta’s process. But in this case, I can’t figure it out. It’s not like there was a rush to get out on time given that people from two rows behind me who had also already boarded were moved up despite seemingly being nowhere on the upgrade list. Any theories?[/left]
Do you really think DL's process is transparent? I don't think many people around here would agree.

Anyway, you waited until the end of boarding, did you ask the GA about upgrades before you boarded?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you really think DL's process is transparent? I don't think many people around here would agree.

Anyway, you waited until the end of boarding, did you ask the GA about upgrades before you boarded?
Once the list is set it usually seems fairly predictable to me. And I did ask. Was told 0 seats (same as GIDS, same as app). It was “all rows, all passengers time”, even though it was T-20m at that point. Only 3 or 4 people boarded after me (including 1C and 1D)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.