Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
SDS'ed on a 6am flight today. At the time of change I was the only one on the standby list. At the time of boarding I was still #1 with two more passengers behind me.
GA starts to clear seat assignments and next thing you know I am still #1 for 1 C+ seat.
About 10 minutes prior to departure pax who was #3 on the list gets paged and his name disappears from the list.Seat count is now 0.
I am still #1 and the other pax was still #2 .
I am standing by the desk and the GA looks at me "Can I help you?" I politely asked if the standby list has been completely processed and he nods.
I told him that I was #1 on the list and #3 leapfrogged me for the last seat. He mumbles about no more upgrades are available and goes about his business. I replied that I wasn't looking for an upgrade, I was looking for a seat as a standby pax and that I had been #1 on the list all along. I pulled out my phone and said I have screenshots of the list.
He immediately stopped what he was doing, went to his computer and wouldn't you know it, he prints a C+ boarding pass for me.
I asked what had happened and he said something went wrong and the wrong name was picked for the last seat.
The other pax's name never went back on the standby list.
I am convinced a dodged a Shena here. Would have sucked to have to wait 6 hours for the next flight.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, that sounds highly suspicious. I would file a complaint there. Even if it's not shena there's clearly some remedial training in order.
apodo77, Widgets, jinglish and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold,SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Frogbone
SDS'ed on a 6am flight today. At the time of change I was the only one on the standby list. At the time of boarding I was still #1 with two more passengers behind me.
GA starts to clear seat assignments and next thing you know I am still #1 for 1 C+ seat.
About 10 minutes prior to departure pax who was #3 on the list gets paged and his name disappears from the list.Seat count is now 0.
I am standing by the desk and the GA looks at me "Can I help you?" I politely asked if the standby list has been completely processed and he nods.
I told him that I was #1 on the list and #3 leapfrogged me for the last seat. He mumbles about no more upgrades are available and goes about his business. I replied that I wasn't looking for an upgrade, I was looking for a seat as a standby pax and that I had been #1 on the list all along. I pulled out my phone and said I have screenshots of the list.
He immediately stopped what he was doing, went to his computer and wouldn't you know it, he prints a C+ boarding pass for me.
I asked what had happened and he said something went wrong and the wrong name was picked for the last seat.
I am convinced a dodged a Shena here. Would have sucked to have to wait 6 hours for the next flight.
Just a couple of questions. What was the date and the flight number? Also, which list were you #1 , Standby or Upgrade?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by cappilot
Just a couple of questions. What was the date and the flight number? Also, which list were you #1 , Standby or Upgrade?
Today, 5/25 Flight# 4185 and I was #1 on the Standby list. I never made it onto the upgrade list since I was SDS and not confirmed.

Last edited by Frogbone; May 25, 2018 at 10:51 am
Old May 25, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold,SPG Gold
If you sat in 7C that is not C+. I'm thinking its possible a pax was upgraded to C+ and this opened a seat for you. Not convinced this is Shena.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cappilot
If you sat in 7C that is not C+. I'm thinking its possible a pax was upgraded to C+ and this opened a seat for you. Not convinced this is Shena.
There is one version of CRJ700 that row 7 is C+.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Standby can mean two things. One, confirmed but needing a seat assignment, the other needing to be confirmed on the flight. Sounds like you were number two, and other passengers were number one. Thus list processed correctly. Agent hadn't run the standby list for passengers not confirmed, only for those needing seat assignments who were already confirmed. Number 1 always takes priority over number 2.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Standby can mean two things. One, confirmed but needing a seat assignment, the other needing to be confirmed on the flight. Sounds like you were number two, and other passengers were number one. Thus list processed correctly. Agent hadn't run the standby list for passengers not confirmed, only for those needing seat assignments who were already confirmed. Number 1 always takes priority over number 2.
Then why did the GA produce the 7C boarding pass after I raised the issue ?
if you are right he would have told me that the other passenger had priority.
also, he first cleared all pax who needed seat assignments. Only 3 people remained who were on the standby list.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Shouldn't the standby list be ordered so that everyone who is confirmed on the flight (but needing a seat assignment, including those on BE fares) would be above anyone sho is standby (including elites attempting to do SDS)? If the "OP" here was #1 on the list and attempting to get onto the flight via SDS, this should mean that everyone else lower on the list was also genuine standby (versus confirmed on the flight with no assigned seat).
Old May 25, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't the standby list be ordered so that everyone who is confirmed on the flight (but needing a seat assignment, including those on BE fares) would be above anyone sho is standby (including elites attempting to do SDS)? If the "OP" here was #1 on the list and attempting to get onto the flight via SDS, this should mean that everyone else lower on the list was also genuine standby (versus confirmed on the flight with no assigned seat).
It should. However this us DL IT at work. These really should be separate lists.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Do you know this for certain or are you speculating as to a possible reason why someone could be number 1 on the list but not really number 1 in priority? I doubt this wouldn't have come up on these boards before now if the standby list shows people out of order. I doubt this because, in fact, people needing seat assignments are not standing by at all. They are confirmed passengers awaiting a seat assignment and are entitled to have the airline ask for volunteers to get them if a seat if there isn't one left.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Do you know this for certain or are you speculating as to a possible reason why someone could be number 1 on the list but not really number 1 in priority? I doubt this wouldn't have come up on these boards before now if the standby list shows people out of order. I doubt this because, in fact, people needing seat assignments are not standing by at all. They are confirmed passengers awaiting a seat assignment and are entitled to have the airline ask for volunteers to get them if a seat if there isn't one left.
It has come up before many times. The list mixes the two together. What you see on the app is not indicative of how the list will be processed due to this. Frequently I'll watch and see for example #4 get a seat before 1-3. It's a matter of being confirmed and waiting for a seat assignment vs not being confirmed amd waiting to get confirmed and them given a seat assignment.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
It has come up before many times. The list mixes the two together. What you see on the app is not indicative of how the list will be processed due to this. Frequently I'll watch and see for example #4 get a seat before 1-3. It's a matter of being confirmed and waiting for a seat assignment vs not being confirmed amd waiting to get confirmed and them given a seat assignment.
Only the app or the airport screens overhead too? If this is how Delta displays their list, they are just begging for complaints. Why give incorrect information that's only going to tick people off?
Old May 26, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Only the app or the airport screens overhead too? If this is how Delta displays their list, they are just begging for complaints. Why give incorrect information that's only going to tick people off?
Screens also. The standby list as done by Delta is useless IMO.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:43 am

As much as I hate actually flying United they do a far superior job here. You can see lists on flights you aren’t on which helps with decision making and the lists are so much clearer. Would be nice to see Delta clean this up or maybe they like it as there is less transparency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.