Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by CGNC
I have seen the great Shena. Finally.

My wife (GM) and I (DM) were on AM ticket stock flying ATL-IND last Friday. When checking in at MEX (what a fiasco), somehow, our record was split. This may have had something to do with the ticket being earlier reissued due to a schedule change problem between AM and DL. At any rate, when we landed in ATL and checked the upgrade list, my wife was #1 of 13 on the upgrade list and I was #2 .

Initially, I had been concerned that because she was no longer a companion on my PNR, she would be lower on the list to coincide with where other GMs waiting on a DOD upgrade were. But, Shena struck, and somehow she ended up higher than her DM husband, enough to give her great glee in taking a screen shot photo I have no doubt I'll see several times to come.

In the end, Shena didn't alter too much in terms of how things played out. We were both upgraded and would have been no matter our order atop the list, but alas, I can say she's been seen!
I agree with the others this isn’t shena. Does her name fall alphabetically before yours? Or it could be something else. See this thread for some recent occurrences:
Upgrade Anomaly? #1; jumped by #2?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SSSSxEverytime
Took a redeye from LAX - JFK and there was two upgrades available with 40+ on the list.
I cleared at the gate with one UG left and showed that number two also cleared.
Before boarding number two gets called up to the desk and thats when sh** hit the fan.

Agent tells him he got bumped down and has to go to a non eco+ plus seat because it was given away. He was boiling mad, cursing a storm but eventually got into his eco seat. Watching who got the upgrade and it was a employee with their badge showing.

I usually don't feel bad for people because we all know its part of the game we choose to play and sometimes we lose. I walked back to find the guy and told him to take my FC seat and pass along the kindness when he got the chance.

Didn't mind sitting in eco because I wasn't gonna sleep anyways and the middle was open but SMH the crap you see from agents sometimes still surprises me.
How long ago was this? I can't imagine there have been 40 people on the D1 upgrade list for quite some time on LAX-JFK as it isn't comp upgrade eligible so that would mean everyone was using an upgrade certificate. I think non revs are in D1 quite often these days on JFK-LAX/SFO and can't imagine its shena anymore.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:37 am

Took a redeye from LAX - JFK and there was two upgrades available with 40+ on the list.
Before boarding number two gets called up to the desk and thats when sh** hit the fan.

Agent tells him he got bumped down and has to go to a non eco+ plus seat because it was given away. He was boiling mad, cursing a storm but eventually got into his eco seat. Watching who got the upgrade and it was a employee with their badge showing.

I usually don't feel bad for people because we all know its part of the game we choose to play and sometimes we lose. I walked back to find the guy and told him to take my FC seat and pass along the kindness when he got the chance.

Didn't mind sitting in eco because I wasn't gonna sleep anyways and the middle was open but SMH the crap you see from agents sometimes still surprises me.
Of course...he was a Delta employee...right?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:33 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I witnessed Shena get denied last night in Atlanta. My companion and I were 1 and 2 out of 35 for 2 seats, and cleared the upgrade an hour or so before the flight. I was in 1A so I got to see and hear most of this. After boarding (at T-15), there was 1 seat available from a no-show. On our flight there were several Delta employees in full uniform, including one who was hanging around up front. The gate agent then entered with a new boarding pass and pulled up the next person from the list and the lingering employee was directed to his original seat.

I took the time to send in a delta.com compliment for this gate agent, noting that even when it doesn't personally affect us, medallion members do notice this sort of thing.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Did the app show him with the upgrade? In severe cases of Shena, the paperwork looks like the paying customer was upgraded, just they don't actually get the upgraded seat.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kpbadger
I witnessed Shena get denied last night in Atlanta. My companion and I were 1 and 2 out of 35 for 2 seats, and cleared the upgrade an hour or so before the flight. I was in 1A so I got to see and hear most of this. After boarding (at T-15), there was 1 seat available from a no-show. On our flight there were several Delta employees in full uniform, including one who was hanging around up front. The gate agent then entered with a new boarding pass and pulled up the next person from the list and the lingering employee was directed to his original seat.

I took the time to send in a delta.com compliment for this gate agent, noting that even when it doesn't personally affect us, medallion members do notice this sort of thing.
where's the shena?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:03 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
where's the shena?
You missed the point of the post . . . .

The OP states that, an employee was hovering around the front of the plane <seemingly> scoping out the F cabin for potential leftover seats. <I've seen this tactic before>

The GA boarded and gave the UG to a Medallion who was already seated in Y, as opposed to the employee.

Note the OP says:

I witnessed Shena get denied last night
So, the OP is basically saying . . . "Good job" to the gate agent, for doing the right thing.
jamesteroh and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Right, but what I'm saying is, non-revs getting a no-show seat isn't shena.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I think the consensus is that an NRSA taking a no-show seat is shena, when there are Medallions on the list also waiting for that same seat. I've only seen a GA come onboard an upgrade a pax one time in the past year, but as a GM on DL, my experience is rather limited. Personally, I was hoping the seat next to me on that flight would stay empty. But were I not in F, and next on the upgrade list, I would have certainly appreciated the GA making the effort to accommodate me with an upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by kpbadger

Originally Posted by davetravels
You missed the point of the post . . . .

The OP states that, an employee was hovering around the front of the plane <seemingly> scoping out the F cabin for potential leftover seats. <I've seen this tactic before>

The GA boarded and gave the UG to a Medallion who was already seated in Y, as opposed to the employee.

Note the OP says:

So, the OP is basically saying . . . "Good job" to the gate agent, for doing the right thing.
kpbadger: can you tell us if the coach cabin was full on this flight, from your seat up front did you observe? I'm not justifying any bad behavior but I have been on flights where an employee eligible for a jump seat has lingered to see if he/she should take an actual seat or go to a jump seat (in cabin or cockpit, depending on employee eligibility) because the flight is full.

Of course the consensus here is to jump right to funny business. I have experienced all sides of these scenarios personally and can only say - if something is amiss, report it, the earlier the better. Kudos to you for actually alerting the airline vs. simply griping on FT.
In2ishn likes this.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Oct 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
. . . . . vs. simply griping on FT.
Come on, now. Nobody does THAT!!!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I think the consensus is that an NRSA taking a no-show seat is shena, when there are Medallions on the list also waiting for that same seat. I've only seen a GA come onboard an upgrade a pax one time in the past year, but as a GM on DL, my experience is rather limited. Personally, I was hoping the seat next to me on that flight would stay empty. But were I not in F, and next on the upgrade list, I would have certainly appreciated the GA making the effort to accommodate me with an upgrade.
If I'm number 1 or 2 on the upgrade list I'll ask the GA if they will pull me if there is a no show/misconnect or if I should wait. If they tell me to board and they'll pull me and then a NRSA gets upgraded I do consider that sheena since I was willing to wait in the gate area.

I have had GA's pull me a couple times in the past year. The one time I was pulled by the GA I get to my FC seat to see a Southwest pilot in uniform sitting in the seat I guess he decided to upgrade himself
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have had GA's pull me a couple times in the past year. The one time I was pulled by the GA I get to my FC seat to see a Southwest pilot in uniform sitting in the seat I guess he decided to upgrade himself
that's what I call self-shena. it's pretty sad that we have to have threads like this and DYKWIA. i wonder if the Delta employees(especially the GAs) know about shena and her thread.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:29 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
kpbadger: can you tell us if the coach cabin was full on this flight, from your seat up front did you observe? I'm not justifying any bad behavior but I have been on flights where an employee eligible for a jump seat has lingered to see if he/she should take an actual seat or go to a jump seat (in cabin or cockpit, depending on employee eligibility) because the flight is full.
Coach was nearly full but not completely - they were not asking for volunteers, I believe all standbys cleared, and nobody had boarded after the 1D upgrade took her seat so at least that seat was available in the back.

It's completely possible that the uniformed crew member was waiting up front to avoid the jump seat rather than waiting for an upgrade. At that point I had neither the information, nor the desire, to be the shena police.

Mostly my point in posting here was that ATL gate agents seem to get a bad rap here on flyertalk (and some of the stories are pretty ludicrous). To run across one who didn't engage in shena, didn't fall back on YBYL laziness, and actually went out of his way to upgrade a Medallion was worth a ^ in my book.
jamesteroh and In2ishn like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM
oh boy, this is a whole new level of shena...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2db046e3cf4c

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.