Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I think I saw an attempted Shena today. Sitting in paid F. Shortly after we started boarding, a uniformed pilot walked up to the front by the FC lav and started chatting up the FAs and watching the F seats. I think he was hoping there would be a no-show and the GA wouldn't bump up any of the 21 people on the UG list. After the last F seat was filled, the FA said something like, "Sorry, guess it's back to row 16 for you." and he headed back to his seat in C+.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bretthexum
I am pretty sure I saw some Shena this AM on a colleagues flight but didn't say anything. Just curious, has any complaint over this actually resulted in action? I don't care about reimbursement or anything... I just would like this nonsense to stop.
People have received compensation. GAs have at least been yelled at, and for extremely egregious cases, fired.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by davetravels
Just curious . . . .

As discussed just a tad above . . . .

When requesting stand-by on a flight, is the stand-by list prioritized by time of getting on the list - or, Medallion status, or other criteria?

One would think a DM would fly past a lower Medallion to the top of the list, even if you're put on the list close to departure.
Among paying passengers, it's by status (at least, the priority class depends on status). The detail may have it by status and fare class. Among non-revs, there's a long list of statuses with varying priority, from company business down to buddy pass.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Comarm
Not always. We were doing ATL-JFK-KEF on award, no status. And desperately trying to get out of Atlanta after our flight was cancelled due to thunderstorms in JFK.

SC agent or phone agent, put us on a ATL-JFK flight on standby. We were number 3 and 4 behind 2 people also trying to get to KEF via JFK.

Some very huffy medallions in suits with bag tags were getting on to the gate agent about us clearing first.

(All ATL-JFK flights were a .... show so understandbly everyone was scrambling. We saw a DM yell at a GA that she (DM) was gunna sue Delta because the GA said the flight was payload optimized and no stnadbys would be accepted_
Irops gets you special status.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitkat77
"Payload optimized" imo means the GA does not want to deal with the situation. Reasons for this include laziness, overly busy, or my speculation that some GAs deliberately do NOT want a medallion to bump someone. That could (also speculation) be because the list has nonrevs, or because they have some issue with the fact that medallions would get priority once added to the list.
Payload optimized means the flight can't go out with all seats full, typically due to weight/balance/weather. To the extent that some standbys do clear a payload optimized flight, they should clear in the standard order.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Grogs
I think I saw an attempted Shena today. Sitting in paid F. Shortly after we started boarding, a uniformed pilot walked up to the front by the FC lav and started chatting up the FAs and watching the F seats. I think he was hoping there would be a no-show and the GA wouldn't bump up any of the 21 people on the UG list. After the last F seat was filled, the FA said something like, "Sorry, guess it's back to row 16 for you." and he headed back to his seat in C+.
not Shena when YBYL is still technically the policy.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FC flyer
I have had 2 similar situations in ATL, once when the gate agent insisted we wouldn't make the flight and should just go to the skyclub and wait for our flight, and another when the agent insisted the standby list was too long and he wasn't allowed to add anyone. Both times, I stood my ground and got on the flight. Both times, there were long lists of non-revs trying to get on. My guess is that by sending you away, it was the gate agent hoped you wouldn't get back in time and the non-revs would get the seats.
That's disgusting. Yet more examples of DL employees taking care of their own rather than doing their job and looking after paying customers.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
Irops gets you special status.
And depending on just how far down the IRROPS rabbit hole you've gone, it can be very special indeed if it's an 'any available seat' point. And someone who has reached that point in the system has probably had a far worse day or days than I have.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SSSSxEverytime
Flew into MSP with a friend (different PNR) today.
I cleared the upgrade at T-24.
Out of habit I always check the upgrade list and friend was number 32 with 0 FC.
We were running late and were the last ones to board the plane. I go to my seat my friend got told by the GA to wait a minute. Low and behold he got someones no show FC seat. I laughed and said don't tell anyone or else you're gonna be getting the death stares all flight from the elites.

Asked me does this always happen on Delta flights because he uses United 99% of the time.
I explained the YBYL and it "does happen".

Some people are convinced that YBYL is dead but it's still very much alive depending on how lazy the GA's are .:hides:.
My flight yesterday, myself (#1) and #2 were pulled up about 3/4 of the way through boarding. I did check with the GA before boarding to ask what to do and she said if a seat opened I'd be pulled up (and lived up to that promise).

The last FC seat went to someone on the standby, though, one of a older couple who both boarded last and had the door closed behind them at T-5 to scheduled departure. Looked like a no-time type situation perhaps.

Originally Posted by apolloms
not Shena when YBYL is still technically the policy.
From what has been posted here and elsewhere, YBYL has been amended and may be no longer the policy.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta DM
I've seen GA come on board and upgrade a passenger from C+ to FC just before the boarding door closed. I also saw 8 or 9 C+ seats go unfilled. I was sitting in D with E filled, moved to C and had ABC all to myself. That was nice.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
I have seen the great Shena. Finally.

My wife (GM) and I (DM) were on AM ticket stock flying ATL-IND last Friday. When checking in at MEX (what a fiasco), somehow, our record was split. This may have had something to do with the ticket being earlier reissued due to a schedule change problem between AM and DL. At any rate, when we landed in ATL and checked the upgrade list, my wife was #1 of 13 on the upgrade list and I was #2 .

Initially, I had been concerned that because she was no longer a companion on my PNR, she would be lower on the list to coincide with where other GMs waiting on a DOD upgrade were. But, Shena struck, and somehow she ended up higher than her DM husband, enough to give her great glee in taking a screen shot photo I have no doubt I'll see several times to come.

In the end, Shena didn't alter too much in terms of how things played out. We were both upgraded and would have been no matter our order atop the list, but alas, I can say she's been seen!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by CGNC
I have seen the great Shena. Finally.

My wife (GM) and I (DM) were on AM ticket stock flying ATL-IND last Friday. When checking in at MEX (what a fiasco), somehow, our record was split. This may have had something to do with the ticket being earlier reissued due to a schedule change problem between AM and DL. At any rate, when we landed in ATL and checked the upgrade list, my wife was #1 of 13 on the upgrade list and I was #2 .

Initially, I had been concerned that because she was no longer a companion on my PNR, she would be lower on the list to coincide with where other GMs waiting on a DOD upgrade were. But, Shena struck, and somehow she ended up higher than her DM husband, enough to give her great glee in taking a screen shot photo I have no doubt I'll see several times to come.

In the end, Shena didn't alter too much in terms of how things played out. We were both upgraded and would have been no matter our order atop the list, but alas, I can say she's been seen!
Shena? Your wife's name is Shena? I don't think what you've described is a Shena encounter. A non-rev was nowhere in sight.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Shena? Your wife's name is Shena? I don't think what you've described is a Shena encounter. A non-rev was nowhere in sight.
Shena would have been if the NRSAs were accommodated as if they were number one and number two one the upgrade list; not you and your wife.

This is just a DL IT failure, or maybe, success in your case
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Former: United 1K, AA ExP, Alaska 75K Current: Delta DM
Took a redeye from LAX - JFK and there was two upgrades available with 40+ on the list.
I cleared at the gate with one UG left and showed that number two also cleared.
Before boarding number two gets called up to the desk and thats when sh** hit the fan.

Agent tells him he got bumped down and has to go to a non eco+ plus seat because it was given away. He was boiling mad, cursing a storm but eventually got into his eco seat. Watching who got the upgrade and it was a employee with their badge showing.

I usually don't feel bad for people because we all know its part of the game we choose to play and sometimes we lose. I walked back to find the guy and told him to take my FC seat and pass along the kindness when he got the chance.

Didn't mind sitting in eco because I wasn't gonna sleep anyways and the middle was open but SMH the crap you see from agents sometimes still surprises me.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by SSSSxEverytime

I usually don't feel bad for people because we all know its part of the game we choose to play and sometimes we lose. I walked back to find the guy and told him to take my FC seat and pass along the kindness when he got the chance.

SSSSxEverytime, you're a better man than I...
davetravels likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.