Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
as the IRROPS wasn't WX related.
You weren't in New York today.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
silly question... how did you expect them to find you? delta shuttle is open seating, so they can't just subtly walk up to your seat and offer you an F boarding pass.. and "mbarreto, c'mon down, you're the next contestant on the upgrade list!" is just tacky, tho some airlines will do it..

given that, i really wouldn't expect an on-board upgrade on shuttle.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
just a thought....

If you're asking for the difference, ask for a dated normal coach fare, not specifically Y because that can sometimes be more than F. Not the date of travel(walk up coach fare), but dating back to your purchase date.

Am I wrong here? They can do a history search on what the lowest Y fare was when you purchases; ec K,Q......maybe even U !!!!!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:17 pm

It's a GA thing, not an FA thing. They can't bring you up front unless the GA hands them new BPs. If I was in that situation I guess I would have positioned it to the GA like this:

"Hi, I'm on a paid F ticket and I was rebooked on this flight for a mechanical. I see you are processing upgrades. I would appreciate if you could accommodated me in the class I paid for." Even on a deceptive A/P fare I think that has a pretty good chance of working.

My money is that mbarreto was on the A or P fare as a month doesn't go by that someone doesn't post about getting screwed by them here in FP (I shudder to think of how many people this actually hits each year). The CoC does not specially address the remedy for A/P downgrade. So if that's the case the OP is entirely at the mercy of however DL wants to interpret the CoC at that moment. Your Millage May Vary.

Next time one of you are at the DO please point out that at the very least the remedy for cabin downgrade should be spelled out in the CoC. I don't think that's asking too much.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If you want first class, buy a first class.....oh wait. Yes, I'd write DL and expect a refund or lots of miles...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by kicker
Off topic, but it used to be common practice for deadheads to sit and let the other passengers exit the plane first. Does Delta have an official policy on that, or was it just a courtesy?
Not in my experience. Was almost mowed down by one recently trying to make her dinner date.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I might be missing something, but there seems like two issues here; Having a paid F seat and having to sit in Y due to IRROPS and then the "upgrade" given to a deadheading FA. I put "upgrade" in quotes because it seems a paid F passenger shouldn't have to be "upgraded" to a cabin they've paid to sit in. Even if there were a quadruple DM sitting in Y on the UG list, you should have priority as you paid for F.

If F was completely full on the re-booked flight, I would request compensation as the IRROPS wasn't WX related.
Well, if F was full, I wouldn't have had an issue sitting in Y, even though I paid for it. I didn't wanted to wait 4 hours until the next flight with available F seats.

The problem is not giving the seat that was available to me when I rebooked, and then not processing upgrades, instead giving to another FA....
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Seat1A
silly question... how did you expect them to find you? delta shuttle is open seating, so they can't just subtly walk up to your seat and offer you an F boarding pass.. and "mbarreto, c'mon down, you're the next contestant on the upgrade list!" is just tacky, tho some airlines will do it..

given that, i really wouldn't expect an on-board upgrade on shuttle.
Funny thing was, almost the same thing happened on my BOS-LGA shuttle flight, with different results. I changed my original flight to an earlier one (actually, I didn't actually changed it, I just ran to the gate 2 minutes before takeoff). I asked at the counter if they had space available, and that I was on an F ticket. They said there was space but only in coach. I said it was ok and boarded.

Once on board, I saw 2 open seats in F. Talked to the FA who said I should just take one of those.

A minute later they called my name and someone else's to inform that our "upgrade" had cleared!

So yes, the system does work, when they want it to work.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Forgetting for a moment about the fare you paid - if I were you I would NEVER board as number 1 on the upgrade list with 1 seat available, because once you board you come OFF the upgrade list. I always make my presence known to the GA.

Hard to be denied the upgrade that's rightfully yours when the GA has a face to attach to the name.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Forgetting for a moment about the fare you paid - if I were you I would NEVER board as number 1 on the upgrade list with 1 seat available, because once you board you come OFF the upgrade list. I always make my presence known to the GA.

Hard to be denied the upgrade that's rightfully yours when the GA has a face to attach to the name.
I fully agree with you. But since this is an open seating flight, I didn't wanted to risk getting a middle seat on the back... I was in line to talk to the GA when they started boarding, so I decided to wait and see.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mbarreto
I fully agree with you. But since this is an open seating flight, I didn't wanted to risk getting a middle seat on the back... I was in line to talk to the GA when they started boarding, so I decided to wait and see.
What flights are open seating??? What is this WN?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
What flights are open seating??? What is this WN?
Delta Shuttle
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta Shuttle
Never knew that. If your F, is that open seating too?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
Never knew that. If your F, is that open seating too?
F is also open seating on the shuttle
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
F is also open seating on the shuttle
Funny thing is that I've heard at least a dozen times a coach pax asking the FA where to sit. When FA says it's open seating they take the F seat, only to be moved later!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.