Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Reply

Old Feb 9, 19, 8:54 am
  #3256  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Posts: 271
Whoa,whoa,whoa! I come here for the shenanigans, not for C+ comparisons. Let’s get back on track.
flying_donkeys12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 19, 9:14 am
  #3257  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,228
DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."
davetravels and strickerj like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:00 pm
  #3258  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."
Hyperbole aside, are you seriously saying that *any* C+ seat isn't a better experience than *any* comparable (meaning non exit row, aisle-for-aisle, window-for-window, middle-for-middle) coach seat? That apart from all marketing BS , having 3" of extra knee room isn't better than *not* having 3" of extra room?

You're not related to Marie Antionette - are you?
Qwkynuf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:11 pm
  #3259  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,106
not defending anyone, but the term “Upgrade” in association with C+ has greatly expanded the scope of the discussion in this thread (which is coming up on 8 years of age)
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:07 pm
  #3260  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,366
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
DL5391 DCA-JFK ... I was 2 of 11 for 2 at T-3 hrs, but DL wasn’t selling F on the flight as a stand-alone or as part of DCA-JFK-SEA ... got to the gate at T-20 and was now 2 of 14 for 1, with the previous #1 having cleared into 1D

when the door closed, 1A was occupied by a guy in a grey suit with a DL name badge who had been chatting with the FA in the galley for a couple minutes, and the UG list on the app still said the same thing ... the new #1 was in her C+ seat, having cleared at some point in the past, and the GA didn’t even look toward the aft cabin when she came to deliver the final paperwork to the crew

I obviously don’t have a stake in this particular episode since I wouldn’t have been in F anyway, but unless Mr Grey Suit was NRPS it looks pretty bad
NRPS (Y) does not have upgrade priority over medallions.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:16 am
  #3261  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Hyperbole aside, are you seriously saying that *any* C+ seat isn't a better experience than *any* comparable (meaning non exit row, aisle-for-aisle, window-for-window, middle-for-middle) coach seat? That apart from all marketing BS , having 3" of extra knee room isn't better than *not* having 3" of extra room?

You're not related to Marie Antionette - are you?
I don't want to speak for the poster, but it doesn't seem like that's the point. An aisle seat in row 20 is objectively much better than a middle seat in row 39 with no recline—but it doesn't mean that it's an upgrade in the sense that frequent flyers use the word.
SamOF is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:54 am
  #3262  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,228
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
I don't want to speak for the poster, but it doesn't seem like that's the point. An aisle seat in row 20 is objectively much better than a middle seat in row 39 with no recline—but it doesn't mean that it's an upgrade in the sense that frequent flyers use the word.
Please don't give DL any ideas. Every seat type on the aircraft could be sold with a different fare class and restricted "upgrade" inventory availability for elites. It's just product differentiation and mass customization transferred to a "service" industry.
strickerj likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:08 am
  #3263  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,106
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
NRPS (Y) does not have upgrade priority over medallions.
and your point is? 1A on a CR9 isn't Y, GIDS and the app showed one F seat left, all 12 were occupied when the door closed
Mr Grey Suit was among the crowd waiting for pink-tag bags at JFK; I suspect he's a FA whose duty day started that evening ...
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:18 am
  #3264  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
I don't want to speak for the poster, but it doesn't seem like that's the point. An aisle seat in row 20 is objectively much better than a middle seat in row 39 with no recline—but it doesn't mean that it's an upgrade in the sense that frequent flyers use the word.
The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade.

Is a C+ middle better than an aisle or window farther back? No, not for most people. But that's not a valid comparison because I'm sure that most people would agree that *no* middle is better than *any* window or aisle. But seat type for seat type, saying that C+ isn't better than any comparable Y seat on the plane is either disingenuous or snobbery.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:50 am
  #3265  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 12,106
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade ... is either disingenuous or snobbery.
considering the posting history of the individual to whom you were responding ...
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:07 pm
  #3266  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,366
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
and your point is? 1A on a CR9 isn't Y, GIDS and the app showed one F seat left, all 12 were occupied when the door closed
Mr Grey Suit was among the crowd waiting for pink-tag bags at JFK; I suspect he's a FA whose duty day started that evening ...
"but unless Mr Grey Suit was NRPS it looks pretty bad"

Even if he was NRPS, medallions should generally still have upgrade priority.
sethb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:46 pm
  #3267  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: DCA
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
The post that I quoted specifically called out C+ as not really being an upgrade.

Is a C+ middle better than an aisle or window farther back? No, not for most people. But that's not a valid comparison because I'm sure that most people would agree that *no* middle is better than *any* window or aisle. But seat type for seat type, saying that C+ isn't better than any comparable Y seat on the plane is either disingenuous or snobbery.
But the question isn't if it's better---as I said, a C- aisle is "better" than a C- middle. The question is whether it's properly called an "upgrade." I honestly don't really have an opinion on that, but you just keep making the point that C+ is better, and that's just not the argument.
SamOF is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:10 pm
  #3268  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by SamOF View Post
But the question isn't if it's better---as I said, a C- aisle is "better" than a C- middle. The question is whether it's properly called an "upgrade." I honestly don't really have an opinion on that, but you just keep making the point that C+ is better, and that's just not the argument.
Oh, for crying out loud!

The specific post that I QUOTED said the following: DL obviously disagrees, but I consider it shenanigans to refer to C+ as an "upgrade."

So yes - that *is* the argument. Delta has selected a group of seats closer to the front of the plane, increased the pitch by a noticeable amount, provided free adult beverages, headphones, and snacks. They have decided to limit access by either requiring that you pay extra for it or qualify in some predefined way to sit there for free. It's not important that you personally might not find sufficient value in those things to pay for them with actual money, but it is extraordinarily disingenuous to suggest that having an opportunity to move from a seat with fewer benefits to a seat with more benefits isn't by definition an "upgrade".

Are you suggesting that Delta should reconfigure them back to standard Y pitch and ditch the freebies? Why?
Qwkynuf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:08 pm
  #3269  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Plastic, Hyatt Podiatrist (or something), Hilton Plastic, IHG Plastic
Posts: 814
So, is there any reason to get the usual seat change slip if your seat hasn’t changed?

I was #2 on the upgrade list and was boarding last because I had checked a bag and didn’t want to sit on the plane any longer than I had to. When I scanned I got a seat change slip with my original seat on it.

I had the Airbus exit row seat with no seat in front of me, and lots of new drink vouchers, so it was no big deal other than the principle (and if appropriate the apology miles).

Flight 727 from ATL to MBJ on Sunday.
highops is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 19, 5:19 pm
  #3270  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,809
Originally Posted by highops View Post
So, is there any reason to get the usual seat change slip if your seat hasn’t changed?

I was #2 on the upgrade list and was boarding last because I had checked a bag and didn’t want to sit on the plane any longer than I had to. When I scanned I got a seat change slip with my original seat on it.

I had the Airbus exit row seat with no seat in front of me, and lots of new drink vouchers, so it was no big deal other than the principle (and if appropriate the apology miles).

Flight 727 from ATL to MBJ on Sunday.
If you scan a boarding pass for a different flight.
davetravels likes this.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread