Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before boarding started, where were you on the upgrade list? My first reaction is that it's possible that there were people ahead of you on the upgrade list (I see you're a DM but what was the route and what was your fare class?) who boarded before you and the GA moved themup when there were no shows in FC. AFAIK people drop off the upgrad elist as they board but the GA can still see the original priority ordering and should do on board upgrades based on the original list.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
the app keeps the original upgrade list. GIDS used to drop people off the upgrade list as they boarded but lately I think it keeps them on there.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by azeckel

Once the list is set it usually seems fairly predictable to me.

well this is picking a nit I guess but that's not the same as "transparent" in my book.

And I did ask. Was told 0 seats (same as GIDS, same as app).
what exactly did you ask?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by pvn
what exactly did you ask?
I asked if there were going to be any more upgrades. I didn’t want to argue with a gate agent about the difference between “checked in full” and “boarded full” and honestly have never really had to resort to that tactic before.

To answer MSP - I was on the list the entire time from check in the previous day. Also never dropped below #2. It was an award ticket, but the list is ordered based on Delta’s rules. I did not expect others not on the list (or so it seems) to be moved. There were 7 total people on the list after 1 was upgraded prior to boarding.

Last edited by azeckel; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:51 pm

Only valid scenario I can think of is 2 people with paid FC did an SDC and were assigned main cabin seats as F was full. In this case GA did the right thing.
BUT there's also likelihood of shena as GA waited until everyone was on board (and YBYL'd) before pulling relatives/friends/non-revs into the open F seats
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Last week, flying ATL-MIA, I was #1 for 0 F seats available. About 15 min. prior to departure, I asked the GA if F had boarded full. She said yes and so I boarded. However, on my way to my C+ seat, I noticed that one F seat was unoccupied. And remained so until about 5 min. before sched. dep. time. I then noticed the GA come on board with a boarding pass in hand. When she went right past me I thought is there some SHENA going on here. Turns out, not so! Don't know why they didn't know where I was sitting, but when she called my name, I was happy to move my carryons a few rows further forward!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
Only valid scenario I can think of is 2 people with paid FC did an SDC and were assigned main cabin seats as F was full. In this case GA did the right thing.
BUT there's also likelihood of shena as GA waited until everyone was on board (and YBYL'd) before pulling relatives/friends/non-revs into the open F seats
If SDC wouldn’t they be put on list? I suppose if only one seat was available they wouldn’t split the reservation in that case - hence the 1 upgrade that did happen.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by arkangel
Don't know why they didn't know where I was sitting
Now, THAT'S funny!!!
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

[left]

I asked if there were going to be any more upgrades. I didn’t want to argue with a gate agent about the difference between “checked in full” and “boarded full” and honestly have never really had to resort to that tactic before.
Well if you're going to play teamboardlast you have to be ready to be a little assertive.

In any case, there is probably a non-shena explanation (though I can't think of a good one) but this seems fishy enough that it's probably worth reporting.

Were the people who got moved up on the cleared standby list? If they were in fact paid F from another flight that got moved via IRROPS or SDS they would (probably) show up there, and possibly if they moved via SDC.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:14 pm

not sure if this thread is all that active but definitely not worth a new one. Here’s the situation and I’m hoping someone can explain possible scenarios to me:

I was left as #1 on the first class upgrade list as boarding began for 0 seats. I waited until the end of boarding and everyone was asked to board. I took my seat in 11B. However we waited for a while and seats 3A and 3B remained open. Then, watching the upgrade list on the Delta app I saw the number of available seats change from 0 to 2 about 10 minutes prior to departure. Then it changed back to zero without any change to the upgrade list shown on the app. No one was listed as upgraded to those seats. The only upgrade shown was the person in 3D who was previously ahead of me on the list and upgraded prior to boarding. Then a gate agent came onboard with 2 boarding passes and moved 2 people from row 13 into the two open first class seats.

I have always appreciated the transparency of Delta’s process. But in this case, I can’t figure it out. It’s not like there was a rush to get out on time given that people from two rows behind me who had also already boarded were moved up despite seemingly being nowhere on the upgrade list. Any theories?
Would help to know what flight and date so somebody might be able to check......
hortkie likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Well if you're going to play teamboardlast you have to be ready to be a little assertive.

In any case, there is probably a non-shena explanation (though I can't think of a good one) but this seems fishy enough that it's probably worth reporting.

Were the people who got moved up on the cleared standby list? If they were in fact paid F from another flight that got moved via IRROPS or SDS they would (probably) show up there, and possibly if they moved via SDC.
Stanby list was empty on the app. No one showed cleared from there before or after.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by ohdl1
would help to know what flight and date so somebody might be able to check......
dl949 1/1/19 rsw > ind
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:59 pm

If SDC wouldn’t they be put on list? I suppose if only one seat was available they wouldn’t split the reservation in that case - hence the 1 upgrade that did happen.
I don't believe someone with purchased F seat and doing SDC to another flight will show on upgrade list.
If F seat is available they will get that. If not, then they will show on GA's list as traveling F but no seat. If F is completely full, GA can assign them main cabin seat and will pull them forward if there are any no shows.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
I don't believe someone with purchased F seat and doing SDC to another flight will show on upgrade list.
If F seat is available they will get that. If not, then they will show on GA's list as traveling F but no seat. If F is completely full, GA can assign them main cabin seat and will pull them forward if there are any no shows.
Per Delta rules: “Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to nonstop flights are not permitted”. You wouldn’t have known the route but this particular one has only one direct per day. And it arrives after all outbound flights have left (thereby eliminating weird connection possibilities). So, SDC would be impossible in this case as they would have had to have been on a connection. I suppose it could have been paid flight change (late date change) but then it would be any relevant fees + cost difference and rebooked as a new ticket in Y if downgrade required, no?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK people drop off the upgrad elist as they board but the GA can still see the original priority ordering and should do on board upgrades based on the original list.
I can give one data point. Last week I was on a flight where the GA did NOT process FC or C+ upgrades (the incident was reported). Three FC seats went out empty with a full UG list (we were 3 and 4 on the list). Multiple C+ seats were empty with one person left on that list. After we boarded the UG list did not change. 15 minutes later after the door closed and the list did not change. Finally once in the air and I could get a connection again the list still had not changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.