Asia Gold+ No More SC Access

Old Mar 5, 11, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Asia Gold+ No More SC Access

Well, mark another one for the books on DL's elimination of benefits for Gold+ based elites and another arrow into destroying every good bit of loyalty that NWA built up in Asia. First there was the origination surcharge, then elimination of ability to book partners online, the rampant inflation of award tickets (esp to J) to Asia, then recently the huge fiasco over increase in award amounts up to 125% within Asia.

Now DL took one step further to remove the benefit of skyclub access for Asia based elites Gold and higher. This was a perk as far as I can remember back from NWA and now DL has eliminated. And the best part is they did it ever so characteristically with no email, no phone call, no letter, just sneakily removing it from their website.

I know this thread is somewhat of a dupe of this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...club-card.html

But, I thought a separate thread was deserved as I wasn't about DL to get away with yet another devaluation of their program to international based elites without anyone knowing. Pretty much only DM's based in ATL will have club access. Thanks DL for not only taking it away but not telling anyone about it.
Old Mar 5, 11, 8:09 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Well, mark another one for the books on DL's elimination of benefits for Gold+ based elites and another arrow into destroying every good bit of loyalty that NWA built up in Asia. First there was the origination surcharge, then elimination of ability to book partners online, the rampant inflation of award tickets (esp to J) to Asia, then recently the huge fiasco over increase in award amounts up to 125% within Asia.

Now DL took one step further to remove the benefit of skyclub access for Asia based elites Gold and higher. This was a perk as far as I can remember back from NWA and now DL has eliminated. And the best part is they did it ever so characteristically with no email, no phone call, no letter, just sneakily removing it from their website.

But, I thought a separate thread was deserved as I wasn't about DL to get away with yet another devaluation of their program to international based elites without anyone knowing. Pretty much only DM's based in ATL will have club access. Thanks DL for not only taking it away but not telling anyone about it.
I think this has been known for a while. In any case, GM is now ST E+ which gives you lounge access on all intl itineraries (all travels within Asia would be given lounge access) - and access to a lot more worldwide lounges than a SkyClub membership would grant.

The downside is that wholly domestic US travel as an Asian based GM no longer gets access to the SkyClub. So depending on where you travel this change is either positive or negative - but it is not an across the board devaluation in the program.

Last edited by TTT; Mar 5, 11 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 5, 11, 6:24 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Asia. First there was the origination surcharge, then elimination of ability to book partners online, the rampant inflation of award tickets (esp to J) to Asia, then recently the huge fiasco over increase in award amounts up to 125% within Asia.
I think we have identified some route increases up to 300%. With the lounge issue, guess the hits just keep on coming. I had happy memories of flying as DL...I mean NW...Gold and having lounge access everywhere, and it really helped make life bearable for my 24-hour TPAC + 2 USA connections journeys. What a sad downward spiral. Find yourself a lifeboat and abandon ship SS Delta before you get dragged down to the bottom.
Old Mar 5, 11, 6:57 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
I think we have identified some route increases up to 300%. With the lounge issue, guess the hits just keep on coming. I had happy memories of flying as DL...I mean NW...Gold and having lounge access everywhere, and it really helped make life bearable for my 24-hour TPAC + 2 USA connections journeys. What a sad downward spiral. Find yourself a lifeboat and abandon ship SS Delta before you get dragged down to the bottom.
If you are flying TPAC, you'd still have lounge access in Asia and the US as a Gold. It's only on purely US domestic itin's where you would no longer have it. This doesn't seem to be that big of a loss.
Old Mar 5, 11, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
If you are flying TPAC, you'd still have lounge access in Asia and the US as a Gold. It's only on purely US domestic itin's where you would no longer have it. This doesn't seem to be that big of a loss.
I certainly realize that for GM+ you are all STE+ now, but the loss is lounge access when traveling domestically in Asia at the hub airports (within Japan, Korea for instance), flying a non ST carrier internationally worldwide, and also flying domestically in the US.

For US based flyers of course it is no issue as with all recent devaluations. My point is for Asia based flyers it is yet another stab in the back from DL saying "we don't want you."
Old Mar 6, 11, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Platinum
No more access to Alaska Board Room when connecting with AS/QX flights.
Old Mar 26, 11, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
I'm having a short (3-mo) stay in AUS later this year with at least two trips to the EU during that period and when asking the gold medallion line about it they are 100% clueless about Asia Gold status, period. The Delta.com website also has nothing on it at all.
Old Mar 26, 11, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
The GM lounge benefit for Asian GM and PM used to extend to all partner airlines. So no use of partner airlines lounge. No SC when on a domestic itinerary. No SC when traveling on a different airline.

I have contacted DL on this. They won't acknowledge a change or give a reason for the change. All they will say is

"you should have received a letter in your 2011 Gold Medallion credentials kit that notes that you were granted SkyTeam Elite Plus status, which includes complimentary access to the lounges on an international itinerary."

DL apparently have not even told their staff in Asia. When I asked the elite line in Tokyo about this, they insisted there had been no change. When I asked how the staff at the lounges would know if there was nothing noted on the card, they just said they could check the address on file and see you were an Asian resident.
Old Mar 27, 11, 7:27 am

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
Is it worth my time to even try to get Asia Gold status through DL when I briefly relocate? I'll be based out of SYD, so no skyclub lounges there (and the Virgin Blue Lounge deep in their terminal is cold comfort if I'm leaving through international), nothing on the STE+ list for KUL and I'm not sure of the lounge at SIN is convenient enough to get through during a SYD->AMS/CDG bounce.
Old Mar 27, 11, 7:41 am
Suspended

DL Rules

Seems that DL rules should be the samem for all. If I am a U.S.- or Asia-based GM I purchase SkyClub membership. If I am a Gold I get SkyTeam lounge access. If I am a DM, which I am, a receive free SkyClub membership.

Make the rules the same for the same airline.

BTW, NW has not operated for three or so years now. It is gone.
Old Mar 27, 11, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post

very funny

my account summary lists a NW flight in January 2010
Old Mar 27, 11, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
The GM lounge benefit for Asian GM and PM used to extend to all partner airlines. So no use of partner airlines lounge. No SC when on a domestic itinerary. No SC when traveling on a different airline.

I have contacted DL on this. They won't acknowledge a change or give a reason for the change. All they will say is

"you should have received a letter in your 2011 Gold Medallion credentials kit that notes that you were granted SkyTeam Elite Plus status, which includes complimentary access to the lounges on an international itinerary."

DL apparently have not even told their staff in Asia. When I asked the elite line in Tokyo about this, they insisted there had been no change. When I asked how the staff at the lounges would know if there was nothing noted on the card, they just said they could check the address on file and see you were an Asian resident.
Funny, seems like DL's missteps in communications goes beyond customers, but to their own employees as well. Way to go mgmt in empowering your employees with valuable info.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
Seems that DL rules should be the samem for all. If I am a U.S.- or Asia-based GM I purchase SkyClub membership. If I am a Gold I get SkyTeam lounge access. If I am a DM, which I am, a receive free SkyClub membership.

Make the rules the same for the same airline.

Why would an Asian based elite purchase SC membership in Asia with the number of Skyclubs so few here in Asia? SC is a US based membership, not meant for those international. Hence NW created the GE Asia based WC membership.
Old Mar 27, 11, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

DL management has demonstrated a preference for, what they hope to be, furtive diminution of frequent flyer benefits. ... the (albeit brief) institution of award change fees for higher elites that was "announced" in a fine print footnote to a NW marketing e-mail. ... the current obfuscation over first class monetization (FCM). ... the increases in asia FF award mileage that were introduced without forewarning.

They cannot seem to man up and come right out and say "OK folks, let's be frank here. This is what we intend to do to you..."

They act like a 6-year old who breaks the cooking jar and thinks that, if he just hides the pieces, no one will notice.
Old Mar 31, 11, 5:52 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Finally got a response out of DL on this.

"I have shared your feedback with my colleagues regarding the advance communication of such program changes."

The employee who I communicated with by email was actually very responsive. Too bad he's not running the SM program.
Old Mar 31, 11, 8:38 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
Finally got a response out of DL on this.

"I have shared your feedback with my colleagues regarding the advance communication of such program changes."

The employee who I communicated with by email was actually very responsive. Too bad he's not running the SM program.
Slippery Jeff or his adjutants only pop up with exciting announcements about winglets on airplanes or some other nominal news.

For the SkyMiles program to have integrity there would need to be an honest dialogue that included DL’s program changes that disadvantage its members. That’s called Honesty; a quality which is in woefully short supply in Delta's corporate communications. It’s DL’s program and DL’s rules, so why the reticence to announce that they - as Lord Vader said - are altering the deal?

Loudly tout the “enhancements” and remain mute about the take-backs; hardly a basis on which to build trust with your customers.

Last edited by Sabai; Mar 31, 11 at 9:52 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: