FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Is it too much to ask.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1190682-too-much-ask.html)

natas43 Mar 4, 2011 4:50 am

Is it too much to ask....

First off, I'm the dumb a$$ that didn't check the flight status before doing a SDC (the lure of getting home early on a rare day off for my wife must have skewed my judgement). I did an SDC for a flight this morning only to go to check in for the flight and find out the first leg of the flight is delayed and I will subsequently miss the connecting flight at DTW.

I am assuming it is crew rest that is causing the delay on the inbound out of DTW since there aren't any flights into the departure gate until after the scheduled departure time. However, is it too much to ask for the agent at the Diamond desk to see that the flight I changing too is delayed? Is it too much to ask for them to let me know this? Is it too much to ask for me to check myself before making the change? Lesson learned I guess. Now I'm off to call them again in a few to see if I can SDC back to the original flight...

TTT Mar 4, 2011 5:23 am

I have done a few SDCs recently where the rep specifically said "before we make the change let me check the status of those flights."

What was the flight number? Could the delay have been posted after you called in?

natas43 Mar 4, 2011 9:13 am

If it was, it was immediately after. Once I got off the phone, I went immediately to check in and the delay was posted. I had to wait to SDC back to my original flight (3 hour restriction) and was successful. When I told the agent what happened, even she commented about how she couldn't understand why the agent didn't check the status of the flight.

Even though I SDC'd back to the original flight, I still got on the earlier delayed flight since it was boarding as I arrived at the airport. If I could have only made it to DTW in time to catch the 10AM to PHL!

MR_MAMA Mar 4, 2011 9:41 am

That happened to me last week, I had a FC UG on my regular flight, but the lure of getting home 4 hours earlier was too much to resist. I did the SDC,and within a second, it showed a flight delay that woud get me in later than my orginal flight. I went to the counter and they were able to immediately rebook me on my original flight, had to go on the waitlist for the UG, which later cleared. Even though I had to wait at the airport for a few hours, I am glad that at least got home close to my original flight time that also ended up being delayed.

javabytes Mar 4, 2011 2:34 pm

If your flight was delayed, didn't you have the "A flight delay may cause a misconnect" error and be able to rebook yourself online?

natas43 Mar 4, 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 15976244)
If your flight was delayed, didn't you have the "A flight delay may cause a misconnect" error and be able to rebook yourself online?

No, my original flight wasn't delayed. The flight that I SDC'd to was, but there wasn't the option to rebook.

TTT Mar 4, 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by natas43 (Post 15976829)
No, my original flight wasn't delayed. The flight that I SDC'd to was, but there wasn't the option to rebook.

Since your SDC'd flight was delayed you most likely could have called in right away to change (without charge) to your original flight even if it was outside of that flight's SDC window because of the delay.

javabytes Mar 4, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 15976833)
Since your SDC'd flight was delayed you most likely could have called in right away to change (without charge) to your original flight even if it was outside of that flight's SDC window because of the delay.

Yep, that's what I'm referring to. Not the original flight, the one you SDC'd to.