Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

My recent example of non-shenanigans...

Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC

Arrived at DEN the other day at 5 pm for my 715 departure to SLC. Thinking I had no chance at making it to the 520 flight, I printed out my boarding passes and took the train to T3. When I got there, I found out that the 520 departure had been delayed to 550, so I hustled over to the gate and after swiping the BP of a last couple of boarding pax, the GA looks at me and says "Salt Lake?". I explained to her that I was actually on the later flight and that I was hoping that they might have a seat on this one. After the usual "that would be $50" "oh, I'm a Diamond" exchange, she starts typing away furiously to get the SDC done and get me on the flight.

Right as she's finishing out, the other GA/redcoat says something to the effect of "Oh, we still have some seats open up front -- haven't you run the upgrades yet?" When the GA who was handling my ticket replied "no, I haven't had time", I knew I was in business . About a minute later I'm walking down the jet bridge with a BP for 4D. Two others were upgraded (pulled from Y right before the door closed). There were some others in the back grumbling about not getting upgraded... Probably #3 on the list, who thought they had an upgrade wrapped up since there were still 3 open seats at boarding (sorry!). The one strange thing was, 1A was left open. There was a BP for 1A sitting on the counter at the gate, but I guess they never showed up (or 1A decided that they were already settled in the Y exit row or something).

I'm guessing that that sequence of events could easily be seen as Shena at work by those watching the upgrade list... but in this case it wasn't! Honest!

On another bright note, upon early arrival at SLC, the DM line told me that they couldn't process my connection SDC because the flight was already under gate control. Went to the gate, and at first the agent got a bit flustered saying that there were still people on the upgrade list and she couldn't give me a seat up front. I think she was new, because she then turned to another GA and asked how this would work. He confirmed me (though he seemed to imply that this wasn't SOP, despite the fact that there were plenty of open seats and it was about 50 minutes prior to departure...) As soon as he confirmed me, I was #1 for an upgrade and the agent said "I'll just go ahead and clear you right now because you're a DM" .

All around great work by the DEN and SLC GA crews! ^

Last edited by GBadger; Mar 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Very nice...the travel gods were with you on that story. Enjoy it while it lasts. ^
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Nice to see things worked nicely. Though personally, I'm still of the opinion that SDCs should be behind people who had the flight booked in advance on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
It's nice that they did know who you were.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Hopefully a JWD cert was passed to the good people that deserved it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Great to see the "system" work as it's supposed too, even with a little help from the passenger/OP.

Nice post and good to see a positive SDC/upgrade recap!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
it probably won't change but

Originally Posted by Moebius01
Nice to see things worked nicely. Though personally, I'm still of the opinion that SDCs should be behind people who had the flight booked in advance on the upgrade list.
Would you say a DM that SDC goes behind FO? Prime example today DM SDC'ed to the earlier SJC-MSP flight he was number 1 on the list and pushed the other 40 on the list down 1.

I was number 2 for 6 seats 60 minutes to departure on an ATL-MSP return and i ended up 9th. I was like that was odd, 4 or 5 guys come to the gate like 15 min later and i over heard them saying they just SDC and for what i could tell they were all DM.

There are flights i know i move up to 1 on less competitive routes, so i see it going both ways.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Lifetime PL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I just love a story like this with a happy ending!
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
+1
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Wow - be grateful for such a sweet sequence of events.

Thank you for a nice +ive post.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:21 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
While this is a great story and is in fact a happy ending, I am somewhat surprised the GA hadn't run the upgrades until late in the boarding process. Is this normal?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Would you say a DM that SDC goes behind FO? Prime example today DM SDC'ed to the earlier SJC-MSP flight he was number 1 on the list and pushed the other 40 on the list down 1.

I was number 2 for 6 seats 60 minutes to departure on an ATL-MSP return and i ended up 9th. I was like that was odd, 4 or 5 guys come to the gate like 15 min later and i over heard them saying they just SDC and for what i could tell they were all DM.

There are flights i know i move up to 1 on less competitive routes, so i see it going both ways.
Yes, basically, if you decide to SDC, you go to the back of the upgrade line, period. People who planned their flight in advance deserve first crack.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 7:17 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Yes, basically, if you decide to SDC, you go to the back of the upgrade line, period. People who planned their flight in advance deserve first crack.
I can see it both ways. And remember by SDC'ing to a different flight, that DM frees up a seat in F on the flight they moved from.

If SDC meant you would have a very low chance of an UG, I am sure many, many people wouldn't do it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:07 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Rank has its privileges, so in my mind it is a no-brainer that you take care of the DM who does a SDC and allow him his usual and customary spot atop the standby upgrade list.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle

Couldn't disagree more.

Diamonds are top level elites, and therefore they get all the best benefits. As far as I'm concerned, that is as it is and as it should always be.

As another poster pointed out, the DM is almost certainly in F on their original flight, so he or she is freeing up an F seat there anyway: swings and roundabouts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.