Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ellis01
Example: This week a flew a non-DL airline. A delay was going to cause me to miss a connection and have to spend overnight in MIA. Before I could even ask, the agent bought me a ticket on DL to get me there. The price of the ticket was higher than I paid them for the initial transit. So, in short they put me on a competing airline to ensure I got to my destination. DL has never done that for me (in spite of many opportunities). That's customer focus before profit. In return, I'm much more likely to spend money with them again, even if I pay a modest amount more.
Counterpoint: I booked a RT ticket on DL between Nashville and Montreal. Got to Montreal just fine, but my return flight got cancelled. Before I even got to the podium DL had rebooked me on American on a flight that got me home 15 minutes earlier, gave me the Skymiles I would have gotten for the flight, and 5k points for the inconvenience.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
In hindsight though, after reading this thread ... with so many people willing to fly DL no matter what they do, no matter how much they jam the seats together ... maybe they are right to not focus on customer service so much. Maybe enough folks will hand them their money no matter what they do.
My home base is DCA meaning I don't always fly Delta, but I can tell you that I do go out of my way to fly Delta as much as possible because it is the most reliable, strongest customer service oriented airline that I have experienced out of DCA. Just because you don't feel the same way about Delta, doesn't mean that the rest of us are just throwing money away to an airline that uses and abuses it's customers. You're sweeping statements are quite tiresome.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Navig8R
You're sweeping statements are quite tiresome.
I encourage you to please block me rather than being tired of my comments.

I'm glad you are having a good experience. My experience when I flew in and out of DCA over the 3 years I worked in DC was always quite good. Glad that hasn't changed.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
I encourage you to please block me rather than being tired of my comments.
No need to block anyone as I respect each member's opinion, but I'm allowed to express the fact that I don't need you to tell me that I should think DL customer service is bad and I choose to throw money at the corporate machine without any due diligence.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Navig8R
No need to block anyone as I respect each member's opinion, but I'm allowed to express the fact that I don't need you to tell me that I should think DL customer service is bad and I choose to throw money at the corporate machine without any due diligence.
Everyone has their own experience. I suppose that response was my frustration with a number of posts essentially saying how customer service plays a backseat to a focus on profit.

My opinions are my own. Everyone's experience will vary. I am genuinely happy that you are having a good experience.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Wonder how the many DL leavers are doing? With DL increasingly devaluing Medallions and DM through their new system "enhancements" I have to continue to stick with them for the fact that "they get me home." US/AA is often inconvenienced flying passengers to their destinations. As I write this, I am travelling on an AA ticket and the New AA is really the Old US. I hate flying AA, but I fly them 30 segs each year and then I forget about them for another year. I am under a two hour mechanical delay, which is SOP for US/AA on my returns home and their IRROPS handling is the worst.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I just had 7 round trips booked for me today. Flying to PVR from MSP is 20% less in F in October on American than similar timed flights on Delta in Y. $677 vs. $804 RT

Delta was over 30% more than other airlines on every flight our travel program through Amex brought up. MSP/LAS, MSP/LHR, MSP/MZT, MSP/BNA, MSP/FCO, MSP/PVR, and MSP to HKG return from PVG.

The price gouging out of MSP has made the switch easy for me. I actually find that American and Alaska offer a much better product going to OGG than what I suffered through the past 3 years on DL metal. I am going to try and book the final leg to OGG on the new Virgin America Metal acquired by Alaska for the next trip I have to book their soon.

If, DL is the cheapest I will book them, but the lack of upgrades (I am 2 for 19 segments this year on DL and both were MSP to ORD), I can't justify spending 5%, let alone 30% or more with them than another airline that gives me priority boarding, free premium seats in economy, and free bags as well (and both American and Alaska have had better food than DL as of late). I haven't had an IROP yet on any of them, I know it's coming, but I can't say I thought DL did a very good job on my last one with them.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mspreh
I just had 7 round trips booked for me today. Flying to PVR from MSP is 20% less in F in October on American than similar timed flights on Delta in Y. $677 vs. $804 RT

Delta was over 30% more than other airlines on every flight our travel program through Amex brought up. MSP/LAS, MSP/LHR, MSP/MZT, MSP/BNA, MSP/FCO, MSP/PVR, and MSP to HKG return from PVG.

The price gouging out of MSP has made the switch easy for me. I actually find that American and Alaska offer a much better product going to OGG than what I suffered through the past 3 years on DL metal. I am going to try and book the final leg to OGG on the new Virgin America Metal acquired by Alaska for the next trip I have to book their soon.

If, DL is the cheapest I will book them, but the lack of upgrades (I am 2 for 19 segments this year on DL and both were MSP to ORD), I can't justify spending 5%, let alone 30% or more with them than another airline that gives me priority boarding, free premium seats in economy, and free bags as well (and both American and Alaska have had better food than DL as of late). I haven't had an IROP yet on any of them, I know it's coming, but I can't say I thought DL did a very good job on my last one with them.
I don't think IROP handling will be important to you. Clearly your time has a low price, and that's not getting snarky. You are comparing apples to oranges with nonstop vs connecting itineraries. Serious business travelers, Dls bread and butter will pay for nonstop convenience

Last edited by bubbashow; Apr 30, 2016 at 5:51 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mspreh

And if you were based in DFW instead of MSP, we'd hear the exact same whines. Only they'd be directed at AA instead of DL. Here's a newsflash, hub-based carriers charge a premium for their convenience. Doesn't matter which legacy you choose, they all have the same business model. Enjoy all your connecting flights on AA. Just because they are cheaper out of MSP doesn't make them an angel.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I don't think IROP handling will be important to you. Clearly your time has a low price, and that's not getting snarky. You are comparing apples to oranges with nonstop vs connecting itineraries. Serious business travelers, Dls bread and butter will pay for nonstop convenience
Snarky or lack of understanding the routes I listed in my first post. MSP/LHR and MSP/BNA are the only two flights out of the seven that I can do non-stop on DL and can't on other airlines. In-fact my travel time is less on MSP to HKG and the return, my flight times are less and more desirable to OGG from MSP.

Serious business travelers, DLs bread and butter I guess aren't me anymore! Because I will spend 4 hours less getting to OGG from MSP 4 times a year, that's 16 hours on those legs, return leg I am looking at 2 hours less by 4 is another 8. That's one full day of my life each year. Yet DL is 30-40% more than Alaskan, American, and United on all of the dates for my next 2 trips to OGG.

Yup, my one trip to BNA I will give up an extra 50 minutes each way, and the trip to LHR will cost me 90 minutes going out, but only 75 minutes coming back.

Overall I will actually have less time from when I leave my house on these 7 round trip flights to the time I reach my destination, than if I was flying DL for all of them. Saving 14 hours on the trip to PVR just coming home, as the only option is spending an extra night in ATL, LAX, or SLC.

Good try on telling me how much worse I will have it though. I made this move a while ago, and I am happy. I still book DL if they have the best price which isn't much or the flight schedule really is a need. My only common flight route that has been negatively impacted is from MSP to LHR, but according to American British Aways is looking at adding that flight, and my problem may be solved, the price incentive is there for them to try it anyway with DL getting 40% more for a flight from MSP to LHR RT, than American from MSP to ORD, British from ORD to LHR.

My post was in response to the post before mine asking how we were fairing....... I'd say I'm doing better, and spending less money.

Last edited by mspreh; Apr 30, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LBJ
And if you were based in DFW instead of MSP, we'd hear the exact same whines. Only they'd be directed at AA instead of DL. Here's a newsflash, hub-based carriers charge a premium for their convenience. Doesn't matter which legacy you choose, they all have the same business model. Enjoy all your connecting flights on AA. Just because they are cheaper out of MSP doesn't make them an angel.
On all but two of the flights listed, I will fly with the same number of connections that I would on DL....... So they are charging more without offering convenience compared to other airlines. I am actually reducing flight times for all but my trips to LHR and BNA. My flight from MSP to LAS is not on AA, it's on SC.

By the way I wasn't complaining, I was responding to the post above mine, wondering how people that jumped ship were doing. I was posting that I am happy with my decision thus far! For my destinations, which are not the same as others it's working pretty good for me.

Last edited by mspreh; Apr 30, 2016 at 9:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.