Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades at the window

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
upgrades at the window

Shouldn't DM and PMs be upgraded today for a flight on monday July 4?

I've got a companion on my ticket so I know we won't get upgraded until the 24 hr window at the earliest, but yesterday the two flights were showing V9 V7, and same today.....if that's the case, is it safe to say odds are looking good?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM
I was upgraded yesterday for a PHXDTW flight on 7/4 at the PM window. F class seatmap barely changed. Have a buddy on the same flight who is GM. When he was upgraded on the OUTBOUND at the window, there were still 16 F class left on the 753 (per seat map). I would imagine this is an elite-light weekend in many markets.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:30 am

I am the only one in F for a Monday flight that was upgraded at the window yesterday afternoon. It's probably not a heavy business travel day. I'm looking at SDC options, and many ATL-LAX flights show "upgrade available," which is a rarity anymore.

If there aren't many preferred seats taken, you probably have a good chance of clearing a companion upgrade.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:35 am
Original Poster

thanks! i was pretty sure yesterday was the unofficial window upgrade day, but that's good news to hear. lots of preferred seats available on both flights, for some reason, in the rows of preferred seats the window and aisle are available but the middle seats are showing unavailable.

hoping that shows not many GM and FOs on the flight....as a plat with a companion, we clear after the FOs correct?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ianturner
thanks! i was pretty sure yesterday was the unofficial window upgrade day, but that's good news to hear. lots of preferred seats available on both flights, for some reason, in the rows of preferred seats the window and aisle are available but the middle seats are showing unavailable.
Most middle seats (i.e. not in exit rows) are no longer preferred seats. Anyone can select them.

hoping that shows not many GM and FOs on the flight....as a plat with a companion, we clear after the FOs correct?
Correct. If there is still V space in advance of the flight, medallions with companions will start to clear after Silvers.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akonradi

Correct. If there is still V space in advance of the flight, medallions with companions will start to clear after Silvers.
fingers crossed...looking good so far. i'm pretty sure COS-ATL is elite light, but ATL-PHL has been decent in elites...hoping this decision to travel on the 4th rather than the 3rd pays off.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
You are traveling on a national holiday. Mostly leisure travelers whilst the majority of elites are business travelers, so I would say your odds are fairly good and it will not compare in terms of upgrade chances to a normal Monday.

Also if there is availability you both will be upgraded on Jul 2, not T-24.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ianturner
Originally Posted by akonradi
Most middle seats (i.e. not in exit rows) are no longer preferred seats. Anyone can select them.
I am beginning to wonder if DL is blocking some of those middle seats? I booked 2 sets of tickets yesterday for 2 weeks out and over a month out and on all 8 segments, about 1/2 of the preferred seats on the 3 side had "occupied" middle seats while the back of the plane was practically empty...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
heavy traval and light Elite loads = battlefield UGs. They will hold seats on full flights to sell P class for last minute travel and the remaining seats will go out at the gate. My flights on 7-4 still show plenty avail. in F, but I am sure they are holding them since the back is full.
This is quite normal for holiday weekends.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
heavy traval and light Elite loads = battlefield UGs. They will hold seats on full flights to sell P class for last minute travel and the remaining seats will go out at the gate. My flights on 7-4 still show plenty avail. in F, but I am sure they are holding them since the back is full.
This is quite normal for holiday weekends.
normally i'd agree, but they are showing V9 and V7 so it doesnt appear they are holding anything back...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I thought I understood this but apparently I'm still confused.

I just received an email notification that my upgrade had cleared for my Friday evening, July 1, flight. I'm just FO so I thought I wouldn't clear until T-24. The email was received at about 6:15pm on Wednesday for a 6:40pm Friday departure so it's a bit over T-48. Availability is currently showing F4 P4 A0, though I didn't check it prior to receiving my upgrade as I wasn't really expecting to get one.

Luckily I'll have a nice, FC seat, in which to ponder my bewilderment...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
No issues clearing SLC-LAX-MIA-LAX-SLC for me at the DM windows for this weekend.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by LarryJ

I just received an email notification that my upgrade had cleared for my Friday evening, July 1, flight. I'm just FO so I thought I wouldn't clear until T-24. The email was received at about 6:15pm on Wednesday for a 6:40pm Friday departure so it's a bit over T-48. Availability is currently showing F4 P4 A0, though I didn't check it prior to receiving my upgrade as I wasn't really expecting to get one.

FOs clear at about 6 pm Atlanta time 2 days before departure. No more 24/48/72/100/etc windows for upgrade on Delta.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
well, boo. my ug for 7/1 hasn't cleared yet and only three seats taken in FC. are you sure that's when it happens??
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ

Someone answered the window part for you, but figured I'd let you know, upgrades have nothing to do with F/P/A... that is relative to seats for sale and doesn't correlate with upgrade availability. Upgrades come out of X or V.

Originally Posted by curl
well, boo. my ug for 7/1 hasn't cleared yet and only three seats taken in FC. are you sure that's when it happens??
For it to clear there has to be X/V availability, if there is none, you will have to clear at the gate, regardless of amount of open first class seats showing. Also if GM as your profile states you would have cleared 4 days out if there had been X/V inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.