Wiki Posts
Search

Does DL ever release more LUT tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Does DL ever release more LUT tickets?

I'm looking at IND-SNA flights at the end of May (not over Memorial Day weekend, FWIW), and the LUT fares are completely zeroed out for all legs of all ways of getting to Orange County. I don't think I've ever seen that happen so far in advance of a flight (especially because the flights appear to be wide open other than the lack of lower fare buckets). Oddly enough, the discount buckets seem to be mostly empty for all the other airlines, too.

Is this because the LUT fares are truly gone? Or will DL release some a few weeks from now?

Basically, should I assume that there's no way prices are going to go down, or take the chance that they might?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It is very possible that DL will release more LUT fares closer to departure. But then it is also possible that they won't. You need to decide what is a "fair" price and buy your ticket at that point. Anything else and you are gambling
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Yes it's possible. It happened on my recent HSV/ATL/PVD round trip. LUT were zeroed out and the fares were pretty high. I checked about 10 days out and L seats became available for more than $100 less R/T.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Yeah, at this point I think I'm willing to wait -- the trip is still three months out, and I'll keep an eye on the flights via EF. I basically wanted some confirmation that the LUT fares were not necessarily gone forever on these flights, and you guys provided that. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:30 pm

I struggle to find LUT inventory out of IND to the west coast more than a month in advance; usually I'm presented with Q as the minimum, sometimes K. I tend to be able to snag T and U inventory between two and three weeks prior to departure.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
What a timely thread.

I'm trying to use a companion cert (which have to be booked in LUT) for 9-12 March for BMI-SEA, and just a couple days ago there was availability in LUT. My outbound's still available, but the only available return is at 7 AM, which just isn't worth it. Should I hold out hope of LUT returning for the red-eye return, or should I just move on?

Last edited by Rus925; Feb 22, 2011 at 7:57 pm Reason: Wrong month
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
ATL-LAS, from 3/6-3/10, fares were into the H-Q-K range for the last few weeks... But this morning L fares became available once again. It's not always likely, but it happens once in a while.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
ATL-LAS, from 3/6-3/10, fares were into the H-Q-K range for the last few weeks... But this morning L fares became available once again. It's not always likely, but it happens once in a while.
Yeah, this definitely sounds like something I'm just going to keep an eye on. It actually makes a sort of perverse sense for DL to withhold LUT fares too far out. Anyone with fixed travel plans that far out is probably VFR, and wouldn't necessarily realize that fares might actually come down a bit. Revenue management exploiting its reputation for raising fares as the departure date approaches? Seems plausible to me.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
I agree. It just seemed odd to me that LUT fares were not available nearly 2 months out (on seemingly half-full flights)... So I just kept checking every few days. Truthfully, I was about to bite the bullet and pay the ~$600 for the HQK fare (as my counterparts flying out of DTW & RSW did this morning), but luckily the fares dropped and I was out the door for under $400.

A little early Vegas bonus for me ^
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

As a companion to this, does anyone know what the fare rules are for HQK fares? When will DL stop selling them? There are plenty available right now, so I figure as long as I don't run afoul of fare windows, or something, I should be OK waiting. Or am I just setting myself up?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by MilTan
As a companion to this, does anyone know what the fare rules are for HQK fares? When will DL stop selling them? There are plenty available right now, so I figure as long as I don't run afoul of fare windows, or something, I should be OK waiting. Or am I just setting myself up?
Depends on the route and the specific fare basis. Some require four day advance purchase, others could be 7, 10, 14, or 21 days. A subscription to expertflyer can be especially helpful in these situations.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akonradi
Depends on the route and the specific fare basis. Some require four day advance purchase, others could be 7, 10, 14, or 21 days. A subscription to expertflyer can be especially helpful in these situations.
I have the EF subscription (which is how I know HQK is open), but I'm not sure how to find the fare rules for a particular routing. Unless that's available with the "Fare Information Search," which I don't have access to, since I have a basic account.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by MilTan
I have the EF subscription (which is how I know HQK is open), but I'm not sure how to find the fare rules for a particular routing. Unless that's available with the "Fare Information Search," which I don't have access to, since I have a basic account.
Yes, that does indeed require the premium subscription. Sorry, I forgot about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.