Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel refuses Delta Voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: DL GM
When my flights were cancelled 2 weeks ago (twice) because of weather, I wasn't offered a hotel voucher. Is this because I was still at my point of origin? Do they only offer vouchers if you are in route already?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lenoreva
When my flights were cancelled 2 weeks ago (twice) because of weather, I wasn't offered a hotel voucher. Is this because I was still at my point of origin? Do they only offer vouchers if you are in route already?
They do not officially offer hotels for weather. As a DM or PM they will usually try and hook you up but no guarantees and for sure not at your origin.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fti
I am sorry but that is absolute bullsh!t. Delta should know how many rooms they are allocated at each hotel, so they only print out that maximum number of vouchers. If they start printing vouchers like the US government prints money, they are following a treacherously steep slope. I assume their computer programming to keep track of this is as bad or worse than their online award booking engine!
However, unlike the US government and money, Delta is not the only one printing vouchers. Other customers from other airlines are likely showing up there without Delta's knowledge. Are the hotels voucher limited by airline or by total number of rooms? Not sure but I bet the latter.

Sorry about the OP's troubles. I hope you slept somewhere comfortable and on DL's dime (even if only after reimbursement).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
Pay for the room, get a receipt, and work it out later.
This. Had to do the same last June in DTW, Delta reimbursed me.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by cxxviii
It's a free hotel room voucher. And the extra bonus is that due to the weather in Detroit, they have no idea if/whether any cabs will be avilable to go elsewhere.

It seems very strange to me, this happens a lot to me (the dangers of travel to Northern Michigan) and they often say "sorry that hotel is full". So they obviously have some way to monitor room availability - how can they give a voucher to a Diamond (or anyone for that matter), have you spend an hour getting to that hotel and then find out they won't take the voucher??

Keep in mind, they HAVE rooms. They are letting 'cash' customers check in. Just not those with vouchers.
Didnt you call the hotel from the airport first to make sure they accept it? I would never go to a hotel without making sure they know I am on the way and they have a room available. DL has no control over this.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fti
I am sorry but that is absolute bullsh!t. Delta should know how many rooms they are allocated at each hotel, so they only print out that maximum number of vouchers. If they start printing vouchers like the US government prints money, they are following a treacherously steep slope. I assume their computer programming to keep track of this is as bad or worse than their online award booking engine!

I would be on the phone with DL and asking them about it.

I am always hesitant to "assume" DL (or any company for that matter) would reimburse me for something after the fact if I don't have it in writing. Most often Delta and other airlines offer credits or miles. It is relatively uncommon for them to cut someone a check (though they did it for me on two occasions the past few years, but not for a hotel). Perhaps DL would say, "We would have only paid $59 for that room if you used the voucher, so we are only going to reimburse you $59." Who knows. Nothing is in writing except a worthless voucher.

Good luck.
Your post is absolute BS.....Delta has no way of assuring that a hotel will accept the voucher, the hotel is a seperate business. Hotels often try and essentially price gouge in these situations because demand for hotel rooms is high in Weather IROPS. And Delta does reimburse travelers quite often for hotels in these types of situations where a voucher was given that the hotel did not accept. It is documented in the passengers PNR that a Hotel Voucher, Meal Voucher, Miles and/or eTCV was given.

As a side note to this, many of the delays and cancellations in the midwest were due to "Weather" and I have a feeling that the DMs and PMs received free hotel vouchers because DL tries to treat its top customers well. In no way was DL obligated to give any compensation since Weather was the main reason. People that received hotel vouchers should be very happy because I know a number of people that hve had to pay out of pocket in these types of situations.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by fti

I am always hesitant to "assume" DL (or any company for that matter) would reimburse me for something after the fact if I don't have it in writing. Most often Delta and other airlines offer credits or miles. It is relatively uncommon for them to cut someone a check (though they did it for me on two occasions the past few years, but not for a hotel). Perhaps DL would say, "We would have only paid $59 for that room if you used the voucher, so we are only going to reimburse you $59." Who knows. Nothing is in writing except a worthless voucher.

Good luck.
First off, mind your manners. This is a G rated room.

Secondly, hotel inventory changes by the minute. There are other customers besides what Delta sends them.

Third, this is the hotel's issue, not Delta's, as they made that desicion. However, if there are complaints for such issues, the hotel is at risk of being pulled off the list, and as you can imagine, that would be painful in the long term for the hotel.

Lastly, usually the way it works is that the hotel is called by the airline with a guarantee of rooms; for example, they may get a call looking for 50 rooms. They should absolutely honor that number. However, if it is exceeded, then the hotel is not obligated, but the burden of proof is on the hotel at that point to show that they have been overbooked by the airline.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by fti

Good luck.
It took nearly a month, but I finally received a check from DL for the full cost of a hotel stay in ATL. You are correct though, they will try to go the eCert route if you let then. I explained that AMEX does not take eCerts in payment for credit card bills and insisted on a check.

eCerts, since they are only applicable to ticket purchases, are merely a discount off of the ticket that you will be required to purchase to be able to obtain the value of the eCert.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
It took nearly a month, but I finally received a check from DL for the full cost of a hotel stay in ATL. You are correct though, they will try to go the eCert route if you let then. I explained that AMEX does not take eCerts in payment for credit card bills and insisted on a check.

eCerts, since they are only applicable to ticket purchases, are merely a discount off of the ticket that you will be required to purchase to be able to obtain the value of the eCert.
Fair enough, and you should certainly fight for cash if you need it, but I've definitely had situations where I was about to buy a ticket anyway so accepted an e-cert to avoid hassle. I've also found that they'll be a little more generous with ecerts—once I had a 75-ish dollar room to be reimbursed and they just issued an ecert for $100.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by rrz518

Secondly, hotel inventory changes by the minute. There are other customers besides what Delta sends them.

Third, this is the hotel's issue, not Delta's, as they made that desicion. However, if there are complaints for such issues, the hotel is at risk of being pulled off the list, and as you can imagine, that would be painful in the long term for the hotel.

Lastly, usually the way it works is that the hotel is called by the airline with a guarantee of rooms; for example, they may get a call looking for 50 rooms. They should absolutely honor that number. However, if it is exceeded, then the hotel is not obligated, but the burden of proof is on the hotel at that point to show that they have been overbooked by the airline.
Thanks for backing me here. I am pretty sure that I know how DL handles these situations since I have been in several of them and have ties to DL. Hotels are really not a DL issue since they are not part of DL and certainly if enough people complain they can be removed from the list...which obviously will not benefit them.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Thanks for backing me here. I am pretty sure that I know how DL handles these situations since I have been in several of them and have ties to DL. Hotels are really not a DL issue since they are not part of DL and certainly if enough people complain they can be removed from the list...which obviously will not benefit them.
Sort of.....I was meaning to say on my last point that if the airline exceeded the amount of rooms they guaranteed (i,.e. kept handing out vouchers over and above the amount they arranged with the hotel), the hotel doesn't have to take the voucher. But, that should have been clearly explained to the passenger, so the passenger could go back to the airline and deal with it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:16 am

Sort of.....I was meaning to say on my last point that if the airline exceeded the amount of rooms they guaranteed (i,.e. kept handing out vouchers over and above the amount they arranged with the hotel), the hotel doesn't have to take the voucher. But, that should have been clearly explained to the passenger, so the passenger could go back to the airline and deal with it.
Yes, I know... I stated that in my post #3 as well about the hotel rooms guaranteed and what can happen after surpassing a hotels room guarantee. Hub cities can be crazy for trying to get hotels on IROPS days like the past two. When you have 30 GAs looking at hotel options, if they all print out a couple hotel vouchers for the same place, it can easily surpass the guarantee of the hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold

+1 If DL can barely interface with AF and KL systems, how can we expect that they will interface with hotel's systems and know exactly how many rooms are available?

I agree with another poster here: I always call the hotel BEFORE I head out... in most cases (in my experience) I end up having to go to a different place, and DL has always reimbursed me (checks, not ecert)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fti
but delta would have no way to know how many vouchers that other airlines have issued for a particular hotel, and i'm sure we can all agree that there's no way in he!! that delta has a guaranteed block of rooms. so if a hotel accepts 50 vouchers per night, even one delta passenger voucher might get denied if the hotel is already filled with vouchers from co, ua, aa passengers, eh?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:19 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by edscholl
but delta would have no way to know how many vouchers that other airlines have issued for a particular hotel, and i'm sure we can all agree that there's no way in he!! that delta has a guaranteed block of rooms. so if a hotel accepts 50 vouchers per night, even one delta passenger voucher might get denied if the hotel is already filled with vouchers from co, ua, aa passengers, eh?
I stand by my statement. Not sure if it is a hotel or a DL problem, but more vouchers shouldn't be printed than the hotel will accept. Either the hotel tells DL how many of their vouchers they will accept and/or DL monitors better how many they print.

There has to be a contract between DL and the hotel in order for DL to blindly print vouchers (rate, how many rooms, etc). Something smells fishy here. Sorry. I remember being accommodated in a hotel in ORD by UA one time. The agent called the hotel to be sure they had room before they printed my voucher. Pretty simple, huh? It was a service that UA provided because they didn't want to anger their customer who might get to a hotel that won't accept a voucher. Seems pretty simple to me. But obviously, simple things are often very complicated with DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.