Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Confirming on two flights because of weather delay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite

I know with the old NW system they would give you two flights and the other would cancel away when you boarded.

I have tried a couple of time now with DL and they say it is impossible.

Orig flight delayed 2 hrs want to have protection on an earlier delayed flight for example, but i would need to change and reissue the ticket to do it.

anyone else have luck with what my objective is?

Thanks,
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I know with the old NW system they would give you two flights and the other would cancel away when you boarded.

I have tried a couple of time now with DL and they say it is impossible.

Orig flight delayed 2 hrs want to have protection on an earlier delayed flight for example, but i would need to change and reissue the ticket to do it.

anyone else have luck with what my objective is?

Thanks,
Yes, use twitter....tweet @DeltaAssist and ask them to back you on the later flight. Usually they respond quickly and they can help back you on a later flight when you possibly may miss a connection or your outbound is significantly delayed. I have done this numerous times and even on Delta.com I can see that I am booked on a couple flights after they do this. After I board the first flight, the second flight cancels automatically.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One can be ticketed and confirmed on flight A and be protected on later flight B. I don't know if it's possible to be protected on an earlier flight; that might be the reason behind the 'need to re-ticket' remark by the agent.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:22 pm

You can most certainly be ticketed / confirmed on one flight and then on a later flight have a seat held for you with weather delays. It was done for me a few weeks ago. If you miss the first flight, then you're confirmed on the later one (unless it was already booked full, then you may just be standby), and if you make the first flight then they release that seat on the 2nd flight for someone else.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know about that. It sounds like you're at an airport on, say, the 3:00 flight that has been delayed by 2 hours. But the 1:00 flight has also been delayed and hasn't left yet. You want to hold spots on both, in hope that the 1:00 ends up leaving earlier than your 3:00? I'm not sure DL will do that.

However, if you are in danger of missing a connection, DL can back you up on your 2nd flight. Ask for an IROPS protect.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
It all worked out today heading to chicago. Original flight delayed almost 3 hrs now. My issue was getting a BP that will allow me to get through security without talking to an agent. So they moved to me a later flight got my BP, got through security called back and they moved me to an earlier flight that was suppose to leave at 3:30ish that was delayed until 540. All the gate monitors said no seat moving/full flight it went out 60-70% full. I just went to the GA and asked for my boarding pass, she was confused but found it and printed it.

I guess in the past it was always for a later flight, i have not did it for an earlier flight.

One example was 1 PM departure delayed until 9, wanted a seat on the 6 (4 seats left) but encase the 9 left earlier to be able to keep that reservation. Cracked CRJ9 cockpit window on arrival. They had to fly in a mechanic to adhere the glue.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:40 am

Programs: DL GM
i kinda get what you were talking about. last time, my first segement flight out of florida to ATL was delayed, and i would miss my connection to NY for sure. system put me on a prtection flight. but when iam check in at the airport, i still receive the orgianl BP for my second segment. I ask agent how come my protection flight BP didn't came out. he said DL still want me to try to catch the orgianl flight, if unable, scan my BP at ATL, the protection flight BP will print out in ATL.

I was like which flight I was on for sure? he print me out the itinerary shows i am confirmed on two flights to LGA, and depends on which one i am able to get on, the other one will expired.

but i didn't bother play the running-gates game in ATL(huge airport), I log on my iphone app, and searched for an alternative flight, confirmed the later connection. I was not going to run in ATL to catch a flight that is nearly impossible to catch.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by JWZ954
i kinda get what you were talking about. last time, my first segement flight out of florida to ATL was delayed, and i would miss my connection to NY for sure. system put me on a prtection flight. but when iam check in at the airport, i still receive the orgianl BP for my second segment. I ask agent how come my protection flight BP didn't came out. he said DL still want me to try to catch the orgianl flight, if unable, scan my BP at ATL, the protection flight BP will print out in ATL.

I was like which flight I was on for sure? he print me out the itinerary shows i am confirmed on two flights to LGA, and depends on which one i am able to get on, the other one will expired.

but i didn't bother play the running-gates game in ATL(huge airport), I log on my iphone app, and searched for an alternative flight, confirmed the later connection. I was not going to run in ATL to catch a flight that is nearly impossible to catch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.