Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat

I have a connection in MSP tommorow and looks like they will be getting snow all day. It's not an airport that I go through very often, how well will they handle the snow there? Do I need to re-route?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by teCh0010
how well will they handle the snow there? Do I need to re-route?
Have a look at where MSP is...you will be fine.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
I don't know... there is an official winter storm warning and they are expecting 7 to 11 inches. MSP is great at dealing with snow, but I'm expecting cancellations. I would re-route if it's convenient.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by jconrads
I don't know... there is an official winter storm warning and they are expecting 7 to 11 inches. MSP is great at dealing with snow, but I'm expecting cancellations. I would re-route if it's convenient.
If you connect in the morning you should be ok, but if in the afternoon you will likely have delays/cancellations if the forecast holds up.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Snow will not be a problem, but snow + wind might. Not sure what the forecast is for tomorrow other than possible double digit snow totals.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Depending on how gusty the forecast ENE winds get, MSP may be limited to operating only the crosswind runway at times Sunday and Sunday night.

If this happens, then flight operations will likely be limited at MSP. First to see cancellations are usually the Delta Connection flights.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I'd reroute if possible. Blizzard conditions in western Minnesota and near-blizzard in the metropolitan area.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnbp
Depending on how gusty the forecast ENE winds get, MSP may be limited to operating only the crosswind runway at times Sunday and Sunday night.

If this happens, then flight operations will likely be limited at MSP. First to see cancellations are usually the Delta Connection flights.
As of now it looks like Delta Connection is taking the blunt of it. Pretty much all SAABs will be taking a breather tomorrow and many CRJs in the afternoon have been proactively cancelled. As the storm nears, more flights will be cancelled.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

My mem to msp leg is canceled, now on the direct to ewr arriving 30 later than original. I was meeting people in msp to work on the flight over, hopefully they get out.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
As of now it looks like Delta Connection is taking the blunt of it. Pretty much all SAABs will be taking a breather tomorrow and many CRJs in the afternoon have been proactively cancelled. As the storm nears, more flights will be cancelled.
The 4:05 md90 from mem to msp is canceled so they are canceling some mainline as well.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
MSP will be in the heart of the storm, with easily a foot of snow in most metro areas according to recent forecasts. There are predictions of strong winds with gusts up to 30-40 mph. While MSP has expertise in handling these conditions, delays and cancellations should be expected.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As others here have said, MSP is generally very good at dealing with snow, although wind can't be fixed. My best guess is that those on mainline are likely to be OK unless DL goes into panic mode and does a lot of preemptive cancellatons, but anything in a small plane is more at risk for problems. Also, do you really want to be in some small aircraft during a blizzard with high winds?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teCh0010
The 4:05 md90 from mem to msp is canceled so they are canceling some mainline as well.
Yea, they already cancelled Mondays 830am DTW-MSP too. Maybe they are cutting some hub to hub flights and trying timeouts passengers more directly?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
MSP will be in the heart of the storm, with easily a foot of snow in most metro areas according to recent forecasts. There are predictions of strong winds with gusts up to 30-40 mph. While MSP has expertise in handling these conditions, delays and cancellations should be expected.

In all my years flying NW thru MSP, I have managed to miss traveling thru there during a major storm.

If things turn nasty, how difficult will it be to get to a nearby hotel? I know MSP is good at winter wx, but my fear now is getting stuck at the airport with no way to get to a hotel for the night.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by Donna49
In all my years flying NW thru MSP, I have managed to miss traveling thru there during a major storm.

If things turn nasty, how difficult will it be to get to a nearby hotel? I know MSP is good at winter wx, but my fear now is getting stuck at the airport with no way to get to a hotel for the night.
I have no doubt that the roads will be open and hotel shuttles will be running. There is also the light rail that runs to downtown Mpls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.