Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My upgrades!! My upgrades!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Yeah, you're right. I am lying about sitting in Seat 8D on an A320 on Sunday from LAX-DTW. Believe it or not, people don't get upgraded on your precious airline--even as a Diamond.
I can confirm that the second part is true. Last weekend, DTW-SFO.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Yeah, you're right. I am lying about sitting in Seat 8D on an A320 on Sunday from LAX-DTW. Believe it or not, people don't get upgraded on your precious airline--even as a Diamond.
I know people don't get upgraded--heck, as a Silver, I barely ever get upgraded! But the majority of Frequent Fliers get upgraded on DL when there are seats available. DL may be planning to "monetize" FC-but it hasn't rolled out system wide yet. Before DL announced their plan to monetize FC people weren't upgraded at the window/weren't upgraded at all-but it wasn't that big of a deal then--and people rarely ever posted threads on it. But now DL is suddenly monetizing every flight and every time anyone misses an upgrade/isn't upgraded at the window it's obviously a Kettle who paid $29 for an upgrade's fault. There has been very little solid evidence that DL is indeed monetizing FC--it may be coming, but it hasn't happened yet. Yes-sometimes you aren't upgraded-but to say that FC is filled with Kettles and DMs and PMs are sitting in the back on every flight you take is complete BS.

And maybe you are telling the truth...but your track record suggests otherwise:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15851021-post3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15842453-post21.html

Cheers!
DL757ATL
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
I know people don't get upgraded--heck, as a Silver, I barely ever get upgraded! But the majority of Frequent Fliers get upgraded on DL when there are seats available. DL may be planning to "monetize" FC-but it hasn't rolled out system wide yet. Before DL announced their plan to monetize FC people weren't upgraded at the window/weren't upgraded at all-but it wasn't that big of a deal then--and people rarely ever posted threads on it. But now DL is suddenly monetizing every flight and every time anyone misses an upgrade/isn't upgraded at the window it's obviously a Kettle who paid $29 for an upgrade's fault. There has been very little solid evidence that DL is indeed monetizing FC--it may be coming, but it hasn't happened yet. Yes-sometimes you aren't upgraded-but to say that FC is filled with Kettles and DMs and PMs are sitting in the back on every flight you take is complete BS.

And maybe you are telling the truth...but your track record suggests otherwise:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15851021-post3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15842453-post21.html

Cheers!
DL757ATL
They have rolled it out. Go try to book a ticket and you will get an up sell message. Many are very high right now but I saw a few last minute purchases that had $59 buy-ups. Not saying it is the end of the world but we will start to see reduced window upgrades now as some people go fo rthe carrot. I have absolutely no doubt this is having an impact on how much V inventory is released. If DL were going to release 4 V at 7 days and they have 2 up sells then we get 2 less window upgrades. This is a very slippery slope that we all need to watch closely. Could go either way but the ticket I saw yesterday I normally would have bought (B fare) and figured I have a great shot at the UG as a DM on a B. Now, a FO on a B could (and should for $59 more) grab that seat and trump me and you. No hyperbole just fair warning to pay attention.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
No Diamonds sat in back on the flight in question between LAX and DTW today...

Once again you either

1) Arent a Diamond
2) or are lying about not getting upgraded

So which is it? (I already know the answer BTW)
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Hmmm, I am a lowly Platinum and I am at close to 100% upgrades, about 75% in advance. The rest at the gate before boarding. I guess I do not qualify as people?

Last edited by patrickATX; Feb 20, 2011 at 1:59 pm Reason: bad spelling
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by patrickATX
Hmmm, I am a lowly Platinum and I am at close to 100% upgrades, about 75% in advance. The rest at the gate before boarding. I guess I do not qualify as people?
No, you don't. On FT, the only people who qualify as people are those who believe DL management has a personal vendetta against them
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Now I am beginning to understand this UG thing. Sort of.

Transcon to LAX coming up, got the UG for the return but not for the outbound. Strange since this hasn't happened before. Called DL and it was explained this way....

DL is holding back some seats on certain flts hoping they can be sold. And the seats aren't cheap. The current o/w fare for my outbound flt is more than I paid for a round-trip ticket. In other words, they ARE offering the UG's to late pax -- H fare, in my case about $50 -- but these pax are paying dearly for a Y ticket.

If the UG drops to, say, $30, that just means the H fare ticket price will go up by $30. Fair or not, DL is definitely testing the waters with this policy. Of course, Medallions also can take advantage of this offer but it means booking an incredibly expensive ticket at the last minute.

Bottom line, I imagine a couple pax who book last minute tix might take advantage of this offer but I suspect most DM's will still get the UG's though maybe at the gate. It will hurt lower elites more but if there's any consolation, know that those who snagged your UG had to pay a lot more for their seat than you.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
One of my contacts just got back to me with some more information
According to my contacts you were actually some where else ...

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I am not sure why you are not bring upgraded, but stop saying that no one gets upgraded. I have flights on Tues and Thur next week and have cleared at my upgrade window. I have not missed an upgrade yet, even when I SDC to an earlier or later flight. I would really call and ask why you are never upgraded, because honestly, there has to be some sort of issue going on.
Probably because he is not a DM and because he is traveling on a route that DL can sell F tickets on frequently.

Last edited by majorwibi; Feb 23, 2011 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, MR Silver, HH Diamond, PC Plat
Well this thread answered my question.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:46 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Shedbasher
Well this thread answered my question.
Hey, thanx for reading and posting to my thread!! Don't be shy, what question did we answer for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.