Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5 Days Out - No Upgrade for Diamond ATL-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 Days Out - No Upgrade for Diamond ATL-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
How long is that flight? Just curious.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jbart74
How long is that flight? Just curious.
Scheduled for approximately 2:20.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by GBadger
Scheduled for approximately 2:20.
Eh, ok. I submit. I'd want the seat as well. Didn't think it would be over 2 hours. Sorry for the interruption.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Another one of these threads... Seriously, you're diamond...
Why is everyone jumping all over the OP? I didn't read his thread as "demanding" the upgrade, he was just wondering what others have experienced since this is a new route for him:
am wondering what others' experiences are?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Platinum, Amex Plat, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Traveller
Why is everyone jumping all over the OP? I didn't read his thread as "demanding" the upgrade, he was just wondering what others have experienced since this is a new route for him:
Thanks for watching my back!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
There you go again... disputing what I did not say.

I agree with you, I would have been wrong if I had said it. But I didn't say it.

I made no assertions about how any of the 6 people already in FC on the 9:50 AM flight got there. Anyone reading my post with an open mind would recognize that.

My point was, with respect to the eight remaining seats, the OP is in competition with anyone who, after paying $389 for a last minute M fare, decides "What the hell, I'll pay $49 more for FC."

My point also was that DL is now holding back a disproportionate number of FC seats, when compared to its past trends, in order to sell those $49 UGs, and a larger number of those UGs would previously have been given out to elites at the windows.

In the original FC monetization thread, a number of folks said they would not object to DL more aggressively marketing FC fares, as long as they were not some sort of significantly discounted FC fare.

In this case, the coach fare is $400 AI, the P (buy-up) fare is $449, and the full F fare is $951. The P fare is discounted over 50% off of the full F fare.

So, yes, my theory remains that the P fare was created just so DL could price it just slightly above last minute higher coach fares, to suck in a few more dollars, and they are willing to disenchant as many elites as necessary to accomplish this.

And yes, they are a for-profit business, and they can run their business however they see fit, even if this means irritating some of their most frequent customers.

And yes, I will keep repeating this theory in order to stimulate dialog on this topic. It obviously worked in this case... or would have worked had you addressed what I actually said, rather than what it was convenient for you to allege that I said.
You are correct. You didnt directly say it, but you cant think that your post didnt imply that the OP was getting screwed because of DL's monetization push.

Once you have ACTUAL DATA ABOUT FARES AND SUCH ON A FLIGHT then you can feel free to dispute what I posted. Until then you can keep attacking the technicality that you didnt actually specifically state that this OP got screwed by DL.

And please keep the personal attacks (ref: open mind comment) out of here. This discussion has no place for personal attacks and I would like to keep it that way. I'm actually here to help people on this forum contrary to popular belief.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Not happening. sorry. Delta has removed upgrades for T fares
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Vuelos
I thought they were eliminating all SLUT fares at the window for all Medallions but not that they were completely ineligible? Those cwazy folks at Skymiles always changing things.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I thought they were eliminating all SLUT fares at the window for all Medallions but not that they were completely ineligible? Those cwazy folks at Skymiles always changing things.
They are getting rid of the sLUT fares as well.

The will now only entitle you to back of aircraft seating with medallion preferred seating closest to the lavatory. This is the new bladder friendly policy.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
They are getting rid of the sLUT fares as well.

The will now only entitle you to back of aircraft seating with medallion preferred seating closest to the lavatory. This is the new bladder friendly policy.
Damn! Who will see my Laptop sized Diamond Luggage tag? If I am in the back I don't get the parade of unwashed masses strolling by ME wearing my GIANT DM luggage around my neck on a GIANT Gold rope chain.

This changes everything.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Damn! Who will see my Laptop sized Diamond Luggage tag? If I am in the back I don't get the parade of unwashed masses strolling by ME wearing my GIANT DM luggage around my neck on a GIANT Gold rope chain.

This changes everything.
Yeah, so I'm thinking the following:

F cabin, full of around the neck DM-luggage tag wearing customers... All talking to each other on the GIGANTIC brick cell phones we discussed earlier this year.

Preferably on a route like ATL-SFO.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:16 pm

This changes everything.
NO but since priority boarding now means boarding LAST with reserved overhead bins, you'll get to accidentally smack 'em all with your tag as you walk back to row 47 (sat there last weekend).

Originally Posted by GBadger
Yeah, so I'm thinking the following:

F cabin, full of around the neck DM-luggage tag wearing customers... All talking to each other on the GIGANTIC brick cell phones we discussed earlier this year.

Preferably on a route like ATL-SFO.
No, no. That's the CURRENT ATL-SFO F class. SHENA F ATL-SFO would have a bunch of FO's drinking like fish while running around asking for their pre-departure nuts.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by majorwibi
You are correct. You didnt directly say it, but you cant think that your post didnt imply that the OP was getting screwed because of DL's monetization push.

Once you have ACTUAL DATA ABOUT FARES AND SUCH ON A FLIGHT then you can feel free to dispute what I posted. Until then you can keep attacking the technicality that you didnt actually specifically state that this OP got screwed by DL.

And please keep the personal attacks (ref: open mind comment) out of here. This discussion has no place for personal attacks and I would like to keep it that way. I'm actually here to help people on this forum contrary to popular belief.
Again, this is not about what someone already destined for a FC seat paid, or how he got into it.

My point remains, the people the OP are in competition with (in addition to anyone else currently on the UG list) are those folks who may be buying tickets between now and departure and who are being offered a deeply discounted FC fare in order to induce then to cough up another $49 for the P fare.

DL is holding back FC seats it would, in the past, have awarded at the windows in an attempt to sell more of those $49 UGs. Elites that would have been UG'd before likely will not be now.

Does DL have the right to do this? Yes. Does that make it right? No.

DL continues a disturbing pattern of inducing PAX to seek elite status under one set of policies then degrading the policies.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Careful. Careless attempts at humor could start a riot around here.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majorwibi
I'm actually here to help people on this forum contrary to popular belief.
And, yes, you do provide some very helpful info here.

Thanks for that.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.