Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by SingTel001
Back to a few years ago, when NW raised up intra-asian business redemption from 30k to 40k, same way. NO advanced notice at all!!

We all should learn their way of business at this time.

We all know the T&C, but how this way of doing business will be accepted by customers?

For those who considering to swith to United, they are now matching 1K status from Platinum and Diamond. There is 90-day requirement, though. Ask Mileage Plus about this.

American also welcoming new customers with status match for "dissatisfied customers" from their competitors.
i am already Plat on CO and will have 67K till April.. not sure if i should status match.
it is clear that DL is american-centric and dont give a damn to asians.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
You guys are quick! Here’s the scoop with regard to award levels – first of all, we’d like to apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from a lack of communication in announcing our award level adjustments. Some items got pushed out earlier than others. Changes have in fact been made to select markets, and a few more are coming early next week. You’ll be able to see all the details when we release our much-awaited international award charts (thank you for your patience!).

Delta periodically reviews all mileage award levels to ensure they are appropriately aligned in the context of pricing and competitive environments. As a result of a recent review process, some adjustments were made on transpacific routes, intra-Asia markets and flights to/from South Africa. Some markets saw award increases, some decreases.

Customers will also see some decreases on premium high level awards between US and Europe, Middle East, Southern South America and Northern Asia because, frankly, we felt some of the levels were getting too high.

Watch for the new international award charts that will be released on delta.com next week under SkyMiles Award Mileage Charts. Once again, we’re sorry for any confusion this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to get you all the information in the coming days.

Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
Michelle obviously left out information.
She specifically states changes to TPAC redemption levels. These have not changed yet. Its still 60Y/120C. Reading between the lines, I believe these will change early next week without warning. My bet is that US-JP stays the same, but destinations beyond Japan will be higher. Book now!!!

Take warning in other regions. We might be in for unpleasant surprises elsewhere. EU-India, US-Mid East, EU-ASIA,..its anybody's guess at this point.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by reed2x
Michelle obviously left out information.
She specifically states changes to TPAC redemption levels. These have not changed yet. Its still 60Y/120C. Reading between the lines, I believe these will change early next week without warning. My bet is that US-JP stays the same, but destinations beyond Japan will be higher. Book now!!!

Take warning in other regions. We might be in for unpleasant surprises elsewhere. EU-India, US-Mid East, EU-ASIA,..its anybody's guess at this point.
HNL - Asia will have to adjusted.
HNL - NRT is 40000 in Y for almost 4000 miles
while NRT - SPN is not even 1500 miles for 45000 miles.
Michelle picked NRT - SIN and compare that to JFK - LHR, she didnt mention
NRT - SPN or NRT - GUM.
but again, this is what you expect from delta.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:01 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
This does not bode well!

...Some items got pushed out earlier than others. Changes have in fact been made to select markets...

My first comment is admittedly a snide one. Why is it that welcome changes that we are legitimately looking forward to - such as baggage waivers on AS, Perk Choice awards, etc. - seem to be announced but continually delayed, whereas negative changes get "pushed out" before they were even intended to be implemented?

...and a few more are coming early next week.
Uh oh. This doesn't sound good at all!

You’ll be able to see all the details when we release our much-awaited international award charts (thank you for your patience!).
You are being a bit patronizing. We haven't been patient at all about the publishing of award charts. We've been very inpatient, and consistently getting the run-around and promises from DL.

Also, to be fair, people often confuse problems with the award calendar with problems pertaining to low award inventory. The latter is by far the bigger problem for most of us.

Delta periodically reviews all mileage award levels to ensure they are appropriately aligned in the context of pricing and competitive environments. As a result of a recent review process, some adjustments were made on transpacific routes, intra-Asia markets and flights to/from South Africa. Some markets saw award increases, some decreases.

Example: previously all flights between US and Asia were the same award level, as were intra-Asia levels, despite being very different in terms of length of haul and market. Both NRT-ICN and NRT-SIN flights were previously priced at 20,000 miles for our low roundtrip award, even though the SIN flight is several times the distance of ICN.
[emphasis added]
Interesting, so someone traveling from the West Coast to NRT might get a lower rate than someone traveling from the East Coast?

...Customers will also see some decreases on premium high level awards between US and Europe, Middle East, Southern South America and Northern Asia because, frankly, we felt some of the levels were getting too high....
My two cents: whatever value you put on premium high level awards is absolutely irrelevant to me, because I will never redeem more than low level for any award. I have successfully redeemed 4M DL miles on low awards only, and this behavior won't change. So as far as I am concerned, you can go ahead and double or triple the high level awards and get all the less informed and less tenacious customers to reduce the mileage liability this way. What I do care about is:
  • How you adjust the low (what I call "standard") mileage levels
  • How you adjust the usually pathetic availability of the low awards, especially compared to the competition

I fear that Delta is going to trumpet via PR that they've reduced the high level business class award on SEA-NRT from today's level of 370,000 miles roundtrip to 250,000 miles roundtrip (BFD as far as I am concerned) while at the same time announcing that the low level business class award has increased from 120,000 to 140,000. Delta will brag about massively reducing some awards by as much as 120,000 while introducing "modest market adjustments" to other awards by 20,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
...Calls for advance notice for this sort of thing are really not all that reasonable. If they gave a week's notice, someone would complain it wasn't two. If they gave two weeks, someone would've wanted a month...
Just for context, several years ago (c. 2005) when we had a round of increases that included something like 80k to 90k or 100k for US-EUR in J, there was indeed ample advanced warning. Not only that, but this was at a time when one could "cash in" for awards that you later redeemed for the actual flights you wanted. So I redeemed for a handful of US-EUR J awards and then used them later when I identified my travel needs.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:43 pm

I think the best way is to escalate to the top management (top down approach), it is only through this way we can have our voices listened and get that changed. Bottom up is simply not going to work. Who has the email address?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
yeah, I'd like that too.
I just got off a call to the Diamond line to try to get a decent contact. I was given a PO box, asked for a supervisor and wound up getting nothing more but a very sympathetic ear: "You guys have to get into the marketing department, they are the ones making these changes. People like you helped roll back some other unpopular changes." She gave me a fax number in customer service, but I think it is the SM department where we need to direct our comments. I also think we need to sandbag their social media presence, to make sure their positively spun announcements are balanced out with some critical feedback.
Originally Posted by luv_flying
I think the best way is to escalate to the top management (top down approach), it is only through this way we can have our voices listened and get that changed. Bottom up is simply not going to work. Who has the email address?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Complaints to top DL management are relatively meaningless compared to publicly embarrassing DL management, something that is better done via traditional media channels and should increasingly also include a social media element as well to ratchet up the pressure on DL management from a wider base.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Complaints to top DL management are relatively meaningless compared to publicly embarrassing DL management, something that is better done via traditional media channels and should increasingly also include a social media element as well to ratchet up the pressure on DL management from a wider base.
That is a great idea. I'll talk to some of my reporter friends and see if anyone wants to pick up the story.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Customers will also see some decreases on premium high level awards between US and Europe, Middle East, Southern South America and Northern Asia because, frankly, we felt some of the levels were getting too high.
I vote for this bit for best spin of 2011

woo hoo no more 670k tickets to Europe, bring on 500k!

I have 90k SkyPesos, I am expecting a 10-30% devaluation next week for intl awards
Sad to see my hard earned NW miles becoming more and more worthless....
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I vote for this bit for best spin of 2011

woo hoo no more 670k tickets to Europe, bring on 500k!

I have 90k SkyPesos, I am expecting a 10-30% devaluation next week for intl awards
Sad to see my hard earned NW miles becoming more and more worthless....
i take a bigger hit already.. since almost all my redemption are intra-asia.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:21 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I am expecting a 10-30% devaluation next week for intl awards
Nahhhh!! I think they're gonna LOWER USA to Europe in Y from 60K to 55K to match UA & CO - - - right????

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 17, 2011 at 8:29 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm guessing 120k US-to NRT and maybe ICN. 140-150k to everywhere else.

Has anyone seen what US-Africa biz award is now? Haven't checked, but would guess 140-150k.

DL is all about pulling the wool over your eyes. They did this with the elimination of free award changes, and sneaking it into a promo email. Anyone who believes the spin that JR, or any other DL lackey puts out, is going to be in for some big time hurt.

Expect fuel surcharges, higher redemption rates on popular routes, and who knows what other "enchancements".

As a give back, they'll only charge you 320k for a RT, instead of the 380k that it sometimes spits out. Oh, and only 15k from NRT to ICN. Wooo-hooo.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
DL is all about pulling the wool over your eyes. They did this with the elimination of free award changes, and sneaking it into a promo email. Anyone who believes the spin that JR, or any other DL lackey puts out, is going to be in for some big time hurt.
Just like the Hawaii upgrades for Hawaii based elites also disappeared quietly during the merger and never reappeared. This is one more area where they are definitely not Best-in-Class!

And, I think it was quite the sleight of hand to take away lounge access for Asia-based gold elites and above while giving them ST Elite +. They lose out on that transaction big time.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Has anyone seen what US-Africa biz award is now? Haven't checked, but would guess 140-150k.
120K, but it sounds like that's about to change.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
What Dullta should do here is simple: SMs earned BEFORE the massive increase in redemption rates can be used at the old rates (per the current...sorry, I mean old, award charts off nwa.com), while SMs earned for tickets booked after the massive redemption rate increases would be redeemed at the new rates.

That is how it's typically done in business and how any reputable company would handle it. (But, then again, Delta and reputable do not belong in the same sentence, that is, unless there is also a "dis" before the "reputable.")

Customers who booked flights and spent on their AmEx CCs before the change in SM redemption rates can spend those earned miles at the old rates. Customers who booked flights after the change (thus knowingly acknowledging the newly further devalued SMs) would book at the new rates.

That is how it is always done with checked bag fees: tickets booked before fee change date honour the old fees. Why not also apply the same principle to SM redemption?

It is highly unethical to raise SM redemption rate for SMs purposefully earned before the devaluation that one was planning to use based off the current (saved off nwa.com) award charts. Why not at least do it honestly and only apply it to SMs earned for tickets booked after this massive devaluation? (Dullta, please respond... though I can be sure that you won't, as you are, afte all, so very extremely dull to your clients' needs and expectations and how your are perceived by your clients, and are outright deaf when it comes to listening to your passengers on any matter of actual importance.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.