Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Let's just hope UA doesn't do to CO what DL did to NW.
UA/CO are touting their marriage as a pairing of equals, but we all know how mendacious airline execs can be. DL's takeover of NW was basically DL telling WorldPerks members that FO was both an elite level and a verb.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Delta FO
With the adjustment to (45Y/70C) the redemption rates are on par with other airlines, except UACO....for now.

Its pretty clear that US carriers DL,UA,PMNW offer an inferior hard/soft product Asia-US compared to the likes of JL/SQ, etc. Asia-US flyers are so quality sensitive (much more than domestic US flyers) that US carriers have to offer REALLY good redemption to stay competitive.

Before, Asia-US flyers could slum it TPAC in return for a good deal on intra-asia redemption (20Y/40C). Now that the good deal is gone, the Asia-US flyers will opt for the better quality Asian carriers TPAC, and delta will lose customers and some of its pricing power.

I'll take my case as an example. I'm looking to book my next ticket SIN-US. Delta is about $250 more expensive than SQ. Last week, I would have paid the premium to fly delta without even flinching. Now, SQ might be the way to go.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i just search and HNL - NRT is still 40000 in Y. almost 4000 miles
but NRT - SPN is 45000 in Y the distance is < 1500 miles.

talk about inflation!

Originally Posted by Fims
I just called to figure out South-East Asia regional flights. I was quoted 80'000 for economy in BKK-SGN-BKK RT. That's a price for a 1,5hr flight.
80000 miles??? impressive.
how come we dont many delta supporters here?

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:03 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:35 pm
no longer with Delta

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Intra-Asia Award Levels

You guys are quick! Here’s the scoop with regard to award levels – first of all, we’d like to apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from a lack of communication in announcing our award level adjustments. Some items got pushed out earlier than others. Changes have in fact been made to select markets, and a few more are coming early next week. You’ll be able to see all the details when we release our much-awaited international award charts (thank you for your patience!).

Delta periodically reviews all mileage award levels to ensure they are appropriately aligned in the context of pricing and competitive environments. As a result of a recent review process, some adjustments were made on transpacific routes, intra-Asia markets and flights to/from South Africa. Some markets saw award increases, some decreases.

Example: previously all flights between US and Asia were the same award level, as were intra-Asia levels, despite being very different in terms of length of haul and market. Both NRT-ICN and NRT-SIN flights were previously priced at 20,000 miles for our low roundtrip award, even though the SIN flight is several times the distance of ICN.

The new zoning will price NRT-ICN at 15,000 miles for a low roundtrip award, and NRT-SIN at 45,000 miles. When you consider that NRT-SIN is about the same distance as a flight from JFK-LHR priced at 60,000 miles low roundtrip for a similar product, it makes sense.

Customers will also see some decreases on premium high level awards between US and Europe, Middle East, Southern South America and Northern Asia because, frankly, we felt some of the levels were getting too high.

Watch for the new international award charts that will be released on delta.com next week under SkyMiles Award Mileage Charts. Once again, we’re sorry for any confusion this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to get you all the information in the coming days.

Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sheremetyevo
+1. I agree 20K is a lot for, say, HKG-SGN, but it does make sense that some of these longer flights like BKK-NRT should be more.

I flew BKK-NRT(stopover)-PEK for 20K, and I still can't believe that such a deal was possible. The cheapest ticket would have been at least $800 in coach.
Are you really sure the cheapest ticket would have been at least $800 in coach? Quite routinely, that is one route where it is easily possible to get a roundtrip ticket for the equivalent of $400 or less -- no less so when DL had traditionally "standard" award priced space for BKK-NRT and/or NRT-PEK.

Originally Posted by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles
You guys are quick! Here’s the scoop with regard to award levels – first of all, we’d like to apologize for any frustration or confusion resulting from a lack of communication in announcing our award level adjustments. Some items got pushed out earlier than others. Changes have in fact been made to select markets, and a few more are coming early next week. You’ll be able to see all the details when we release our much-awaited international award charts (thank you for your patience!).

Delta periodically reviews all mileage award levels to ensure they are appropriately aligned in the context of pricing and competitive environments. As a result of a recent review process, some adjustments were made on transpacific routes, intra-Asia markets and flights to/from South Africa. Some markets saw award increases, some decreases.

Example: previously all flights between US and Asia were the same award level, as were intra-Asia levels, despite being very different in terms of length of haul and market. Both NRT-ICN and NRT-SIN flights were previously priced at 20,000 miles for our low roundtrip award, even though the SIN flight is several times the distance of ICN.

The new zoning will price NRT-ICN at 15,000 miles for a low roundtrip award, and NRT-SIN at 45,000 miles. When you consider that NRT-SIN is about the same distance as a flight from JFK-LHR priced at 60,000 miles low roundtrip for a similar product, it makes sense.

Customers will also see some decreases on premium high level awards between US and Europe, Middle East, Southern South America and Northern Asia because, frankly, we felt some of the levels were getting too high.

Watch for the new international award charts that will be released on delta.com next week under SkyMiles Award Mileage Charts. Once again, we’re sorry for any confusion this may have caused and appreciate your patience as we work to get you all the information in the coming days.

Thanks for confirming that which has been discovered already.

This is a clear sign that DL hasn't cared to give its SkyMiles customers advance notice of how DL has changed award travel pricing .... until caught already by its customers.

Changing award ticket pricing without giving advance notice is a sign of how little respect DL has for its SkyMiles customers. Lowering astronomical prices a bit while jacking up less astronomical prices into a much higher price range is but another way of burning SkyMiles customers while trying to put up smoke and mirrors to hide DL SkyMiles' customer-unfriendly ways when it comes to award ticket pricing.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Goodybye ST and Hello *A

Now we know why they tossed us the bone of miles no longer expiring and whilst we looked at that the one hand, the other increased the mileage required for inter-asia by a boatload. Thanks DL!

I spoke with an agent at about midnight last night. After a 1 hour phone call, the agent stated the following:

"We are adjusting the mileage rates slighty and tweaking some markets"

"We are sorry for any frustrations you are feeling but information will be posted on the website by the 22nd"

No wonder the miles no longer expire ...the rates are double or triple with slim pickens in all markets

Anybody willing to trade 100k miles for a happymeal?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for confirming that which has been discovered already.

This is a clear sign that DL hasn't cared to give its SkyMiles customers advance notice of how DL has changed award travel pricing .... until caught already by its customers.

Changing award ticket pricing without giving advance notice is a sign of how little respect DL has for its SkyMiles customers. Lowering astronomical prices a bit while jacking up less astronomical prices into a much higher price range is but another way of burning SkyMiles customers while trying to put up smoke and mirrors to hide DL SkyMiles' customer-unfriendly ways when it comes to award ticket pricing.
I think there's a lot of hyperbole in this thread, and I appreciate Michelle coming in to lend some clarity. (I think we can all give a big ^ to the increased participation we're seeing from DL staff on FT this month. Now let's all please play nice with them so they stick around and maybe can start interacting instead of just posting statments.)

Calls for advance notice for this sort of thing are really not all that reasonable. If they gave a week's notice, someone would complain it wasn't two. If they gave two weeks, someone would've wanted a month. However, raising the redemption rates prior to the announcement is also problematic. I think the best thing would have been for DL to publish the award charts and make the changes effective upon the publication of the charts. People would've still been displeased, but I think many of us would've viewed it as reasonable. After all, it's not like we get advance notice that cash fares are going up.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Woo hoo! Maybe I can redeem a high-level award from the U.S. to Europe for, say, 400,000 SkyMiles instead of 675,000 (or whatever).

The problem with DL's three-tier award structure isn't just the astronomically high prices of some of its redemption offerings; it's the paucity of low-level inventory and the agony of trying to use the perpetually-broken delta.com calendar to find it.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Woo hoo! Maybe I can redeem a high-level award from the U.S. to Europe for, say, 400,000 SkyMiles instead of 675,000 (or whatever).

The problem with DL's three-tier award structure isn't just the astronomically high prices of some of its redemption offerings; it's the paucity of low-level inventory and the agony of trying to use the perpetually-broken delta.com calendar to find it.
Very well stated, although I'm not sure the "perpetually-broken delta.com calendar" is any more "broken" than DL management was willing to let it be.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think there's a lot of hyperbole in this thread, and I appreciate Michelle coming in to lend some clarity. (I think we can all give a big ^ to the increased participation we're seeing from DL staff on FT this month. Now let's all please play nice with them so they stick around and maybe can start interacting instead of just posting statments.)

Calls for advance notice for this sort of thing are really not all that reasonable. If they gave a week's notice, someone would complain it wasn't two. If they gave two weeks, someone would've wanted a month. However, raising the redemption rates prior to the announcement is also problematic. I think the best thing would have been for DL to publish the award charts and make the changes effective upon the publication of the charts. People would've still been displeased, but I think many of us would've viewed it as reasonable. After all, it's not like we get advance notice that cash fares are going up.
It's rather common practice for airlines to provide advance notice before instituting a change in award ticket pricing in miles. DL has failed here and no amount of apologizing for DL management's customer-unfriendly changes to SkyMiles will change that reality.

There's rather little hyperbole in this thread compared to DL's customer-unfriendly changes to SkyMiles award ticket pricing.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Knowing Delta when I saw e-mail about miles no more expiring I felt something bad is coming after that. Well, at least they are consistent and fulfilled my expectations…
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum

Michelle, I want to believe you. I do. But, your employer has been telling us for well over a year now that that award charts are right around the corner. You'll have to excuse me for being skeptical. But, I do hope you are correct.

Also, which awards did you think were getting too high? The one from NRT-BKK quoted on your website for 220,000 miles? Perhaps it is HNL-BKK in BE March 16-25 for 350,000 miles? Maybe it is DTW to NRT on the same dates for 305,000 in BE?

I do hope you are right. I do hope the chart is coming. I do hope that you guys recognize that your awards have gotten out of hand. Like I mentioned before, it was the good value for awards within Asia and the US domestic upgrades that keep me with DL. It is not the awards I mentioned above. It is not the ease of international upgrades. I recognize that you choose specific areas to beat the competition in and others where you are not quite so competitive. Now, your employer is giving up the areas where it was most competitive and not making the program more competitive in other areas. DL has to recognize that giving up the strong points without strengthening the weaker points is not a winning strategy. I certainly don't expect DL to give away the farm, but please throw us a bone once in a while (in more than just the NRT-ICN market)!

PS No hard feelings. I'm sure you're just doing your job. Unfortunately, it is a tough job around here. Especially when your employer pulls funny business like this!

Last edited by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm Reason: Added PS
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I think Delta should still consider things not only from NRT versus rest of Asia perspective, but consider that awards should be grouped by countries then. And clearly state these zones. Currently on the website of Skymiles all Asia is regarded as one. Now, in "new" reality it turns out to be different since few days ago.

Clear zoning, visible for all, on the web, like all other airlines are providing, must be available. While one can understand that Korea-Japan flights, operated then by DL or KE, are reasonable at Y15/C30, then asking Y80 in South-East Asia, BKK-SGN with VN is insane. That's more than even Japan-Singapore in C!

I would suggest Delta to "copy" ideas from UA for example, who also have hub in in Asia.
http://www.united.com/ual/asset/Award_Chart.pdf
They have split the area into three: Japan, North Asia (CN/KR/TW/Guam/Saipan/Mongolia) and South Asia (South-East Asian countries + HK) with decent rates. In this way also intra-SE.Asia and intra-N.Asia would be feasible in need. Especially considering for example that there are Skymiles partners (VN,MH) there providing intra-zone flights in SE region too (and soon will be also Garuda onboard). I would even actually create special group for just intra-China flights at Y10/C20.

And I just realised I have not done any flashmobs yet this year. But why not to make one for example in one of the Delta lounges? It could be like "freeze" with the idea to force DL to freeze the previous intra-Asia levels until implementing new ones with proper advance notice. I'll be in JFK lounge on 26th evening, ATL on morning of 27th. Best would be if we could do it in every Skyclub.

The "freeze" idea would be also going as ice-refreshener for DL management, which seems to be overheated in ideas how to loose customers.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by mtkeller

if they give a month or two, i am sure there will be complaints, but most people who were planning an award can get their act to book asap. especially to those who had planned to use the 20000 miles for certain trips. if i had known earlier, i would have firmed my plan for summer travel, now, it is out of my budget. banks do not jack up the T&C overnight. imagine your credit card company charges you a annual fee from 45 to 145 immediately, how would u feel? we were n ot given any time to react, and there was no communication. this is best in class.

i am pissed.

it is not us being quick, it is you guys being slow! i am pissed and i had planned to book 5 more tickets soon, and u have screwed my summer plan!

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 18, 2011 at 4:57 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for showing up here, I know it probably takes thick skin to do that, particularly if you plan to engage with us. But honestly, the need for thick skin is self-inflicted, as evidenced by the way DL has handled this quite dramatic change in redemption levels.

And there isnt anything of real substance in your note other than to confirm that yes what we've is intended behavoir of the award engine. Spin this as you like, I'm not biting. This is a major devaluation, which DL attempted to do in the dark of night, with additional cover from never having produced an award chart for these awards. My prior experiences with devaluations like this at least gave me a month of heads up to make some awards at the previous levels.

The worst part about your note is that you clue us in that there are "a few more coming early next week." So you have read through a thread that voices fear that some changes appear to be happening in real time without any advanced warning, you confirm those fears and then you drop that more unidentified changes will be made in the same fashion next week. So you have pretty much ignored the thrust of the concerns here. So let me ask directly, does DL have any comment as to why it felt no need to give its valuable customers even a 2 or 3 weeks notice of this?

Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K/Life UC, AA-EXP, AF-Plat
Originally Posted by kats
DL is to lose a lot of frequent fliers in Japan after this change. It was only a few years ago I used to fly NRT-BKK biz for 30,000 miles.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Changing award ticket pricing without giving advance notice is a sign of how little respect DL has for its SkyMiles customers.
Back to a few years ago, when NW raised up intra-asian business redemption from 30k to 40k, same way. NO advanced notice at all!!

We all should learn their way of business at this time.

We all know the T&C, but how this way of doing business will be accepted by customers?

Originally Posted by pbd456
it makes quitting DL easier, i think.
For those who considering to swith to United, they are now matching 1K status from Platinum and Diamond. There is 90-day requirement, though. Ask Mileage Plus about this.

American also welcoming new customers with status match for "dissatisfied customers" from their competitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.