Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anymore info on recent redemption increase for intra-asia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pbd456
it was only a few months ago when they advertised in Japan that return-flight from Tokyo to Guam/Saipan was 20000 miles... i feel sorry for those who believed it. (me included.)
No amount of DL management sleaze surprises me, as I've come to expect all sorts of scams from the DL hucksters. This would be typical of DL.

Originally Posted by luv_flying
what should we do now? Sit here, do nothing and get mad? no right?
As much as possible, inform as many previous, current and potential DL "loyalty" program customers about DL's customer-unfriendly ways.

The more public the embarrassment DL faces, the better off consumers will be.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No amount of DL management sleaze surprises me, as I've come to expect all sorts of scams from the DL hucksters. This would be typical of DL.
i am lucky that i only have about 140000 miles. dont have to take that big of a hit myself...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by pbd456
well. if they have just give us an warning, i would have burnt all my skymiles for 5 tickets this summer before the raise.
Well, at least I got a 20K FUK-ICN-DPS-TPE-FUK for Golden Week the other day! Down to about 40K and was hoping for another RT or two this summer. Bummer.

I stuck with Skyteam because of NW, and then because I had a boatload of miles on DL. Both reasons are gone. Hello *A!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
I just called to figure out South-East Asia regional flights. I was quoted 80'000 for economy in BKK-SGN-BKK RT. That's a price for a 1,5hr flight.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:19 am

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
They've fooled me one time too many. I really never thought I'd say it . but I'm done with those crooks.

Just an hour ago i bought a ticket US-Japan and I chose Delta for the trip based on the "fact" that I would be able to redeem the Skymiles earned on an intra-Asia itinerary
. I'll phone and cancel the booking now. The contempt that I feel for Delta Airlines cannot be expressed here.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fims
I just called to figure out South-East Asia regional flights. I was quoted 80'000 for economy in BKK-SGN-BKK RT. That's a price for a 1,5hr flight.
For flights between those two cities, I've booked tickets even the night before departure that are well under $175 roundtrip, and yet DL is quoting 80,000 miles for trip connecting those two cities?

Remember to thank DL for the very customer-unfriendly pricing, courtesy of the customer-unfriendly DL management team that seems to have no respect for the "loyalty" program customers.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Once again, DL hits a new low.

Originally Posted by Sabai
Maybe they are cranking-up the redemption rates before releasing their long-delayed award chart.
Oh no, the award chart hasn't been delayed; it has been purposely withheld from us. They hid it on purpose and they have been aware of our nuisance with this for YEARS. It's been brought up on FT, at DOs, etc. This is plain evil.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You just need to know what you want, and hopefully get a good agent. If not call back in, and try again.
It's curious, if not outright pathetic, how savvy DL customers have to arm themselves with obscure program rules before dealing with this plodding behemoth of a company. And it's tough luck to those hapless customers who don't know how ill-informed and poorly trained Delta's phone agents really are.

Hang Up And Call Again Until You Find Someone Who Knows What They Are Talking About doesn't handily fit on a bumper sticker like "Best In Class" or "Keep Climbing" do, but it's a far more accurate accounting of DL's customer-service ethos.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 17, 2011 at 6:19 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Delta will probably release the chart next month with a lot of positive marketing spin..claiming "we asked, they delivered" a new "simplified" chart that everyone can understand.

While it stinks that it appears they raised the redemption amounts, it will be very telling if Delta does the right thing and admits they raised the amounts and explains the reasons why, OR if they release the chart and ignore the fact the amounts were increased...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: QF, Virgin Australia
Low tier intra-asia C awards going from 40,000 to 70,000 miles is a 75% increase in cost and not all worth it imho. Implementing this change with absolutely no notice is, dare I say it, deceitful. No doubt the terms and conditions state that changes can be made without notice, but this has really left a bad taste in my mouth. It certainly doesn't foster customer goodwill or loyalty. There is no way I'll credit any further flights to Skymiles.

Looking back, I certainly appreciated the ability to redeem intra-asia awards in business class for 30,000 with Northwest (yep, they were 30k before DL increased the level to 40k). Those were the days!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by luv_flying
what should we do now? Sit here, do nothing and get mad? no right?
*A is your friend
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
I think intra asia should be roughly consistent with US domestic flying.

for US domestic, you can also fly 5-7 hours for 25,000 in economy. so the new level of 45000 intra asia seems to be too high. intra-asia business should be around 50000, not 70,000.

so something around 25,000/50,000 should be reasonable.

Before I thought this was one of the best features of Skymile program. now it is no longer the case.

Let's all complain and and send emails.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Save Sky Miles II

For those asking "What can we do?" the question in response should be "How much more abuse do you need before you react?"

The people who are degrading your FF program don't give a whit about you or your concerns.

Organize, publicize, protest, and try to run out the bums who are making these decisions.

Save Sky Miles got rid of Leo Mullen.

The hypocrisy of DL management is captured in my signature line below.

Isn't it past time for Save Sky Miles II?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Tech Noir
Low tier intra-asia C awards going from 40,000 to 70,000 miles is a 75% increase in cost and not all worth it imho. Implementing this change with absolutely no notice is, dare I say it, deceitful. No doubt the terms and conditions state that changes can be made without notice, but this has really left a bad taste in my mouth. It certainly doesn't foster customer goodwill or loyalty. There is no way I'll credit any further flights to Skymiles.

Looking back, I certainly appreciated the ability to redeem intra-asia awards in business class for 30,000 with Northwest (yep, they were 30k before DL increased the level to 40k). Those were the days!
70000 is what it takes to fly roundtrip from Hawaii to Asia in J. Oh wait...that was last month. I don't want to know what it is now, but I have to assume that it probably went up to maintain consistency.

I have to agree with those who say that *A is definitely more appealing now. But, we'll have to see how things turn out there after the merger. Let's just hope UA doesn't do to CO what DL did to NW.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
While this change is sort of frustrating, it makes complete sense to me. You will see UA bump up its mileage levels as well. This is all to align in the competitive landscape. To me, it made no sense that NRT-ICN cost the same as NRT-BKK. NRT-BKK was a steal at 20,000 miles. It appears that DL is shifting to more of a system that determines miles required for the award ticket based on distance of the flight. I don't like the change but certainly understand it.
<snip>
+1. I agree 20K is a lot for, say, HKG-SGN, but it does make sense that some of these longer flights like BKK-NRT should be more.

I flew BKK-NRT(stopover)-PEK for 20K, and I still can't believe that such a deal was possible. The cheapest ticket would have been at least $800 in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.