How to get bumped

Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
How to get bumped

I'm flying for leisure this week/next and I'm wondering what the best strategy is for getting bumped, usually I can't miss my flights due to work commitments. I don't know what the odds are but seeing as it's school vacation week up here in MA/CT and I'm flying to MCO I figure there might be a chance.
Jeff
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by patriots68
I'm flying for leisure this week/next and I'm wondering what the best strategy is for getting bumped, usually I can't miss my flights due to work commitments. I don't know what the odds are but seeing as it's school vacation week up here in MA/CT and I'm flying to MCO I figure there might be a chance.
Jeff
You could get an ExpertFlyer trial subscription and look for flights that are zeroed out. If you have any ability to change flights for free (are you GM/PM/DM?), you might be able to try SDCing to a flight that is showing Y1 and hope that an IROP happens somewhere that forces a bunch of people onto your flight.

If you can't change flights, well, then it's pretty much luck. Hope you picked the flights well.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Important for bumps: be first (or second) to add your name to the volunteer list. It's a sad day when you're #2 on the list and they only need one!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by traveltravel
Important for bumps: be first (or second) to add your name to the volunteer list. It's a sad day when you're #2 on the list and they only need one!
can i add my name to the list via olci or do i need to do it at the airport, should i check in at the airport, check at the gate, or check at the sky club
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Generally, you can only add your name at the gate. Recently there have been reports of it being an option at OLCI (at DL's discretion), but few reports of that list actually being used. The gate is still your best bet.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I wrote a blog post about getting bumped and some tips. Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by patriots68
can i add my name to the list via olci or do i need to do it at the airport, should i check in at the airport, check at the gate, or check at the sky club
Speak to the GA at the gate.

Sometimes I'll ask at the counter (when checking baggage) if the flight is oversold to get an indication if there is a chance of a bump. A few years ago, the counter employee said he was heading to the gate to work my flight, and he said it was severely overbooked. He already knew he needed volunteers, so he took my name on the spot.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
I, too, had a ticket agent say the flight was way overbooked and gave me the voucher and rebooked at the check in counter. Only happened once though!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.