Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades not automatically confirming at window

Old Feb 13, 11, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond

I tend to check my itineraries pretty regularly, so I am 100% positive my upcoming RIC-DEN itin was showing "upgrade requested" ... but when the window came around for both the outbound and returns, they showed "upgrade upgrade available" and required me to check the box which changed it to "upgrade confirmed." At that point, though, I still had a seat assignment in Y and had to select a new one in F.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Feb 13, 11, 8:32 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by hopke85 View Post
I tend to check my itineraries pretty regularly, so I am 100% positive my upcoming RIC-DEN itin was showing "upgrade requested" ... but when the window came around for both the outbound and returns, they showed "upgrade upgrade available" and required me to check the box which changed it to "upgrade confirmed." At that point, though, I still had a seat assignment in Y and had to select a new one in F.

Anyone else seeing this?
Just another highlight of the quirky DL IT system.
Old Feb 13, 11, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I'm really wondering though if I actually "had the upgrade" and it was just requiring that for me to select a seat... or if it had not actually pulled a seat from V for me and I would have been leap-frogged by lower medallions at their windows and then been SOL.
Old Feb 13, 11, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM
As DL is trying to monetize FC it seems (at least to me) they have been holding back more seats beyond the PM window.

I'm flying DCA-ATL-SAT Monday. UG for DCA-ATL came through at 6 days. UG for ATL-SAT came through at 3 days even though half of FC was open. Flight home is Friday...same story...ATL-DCA came through yesterday (6 days). SAT-ATL (1st leg) no UG yet. Other PM and DM have said the same thing.

They are trying hard to sell (monetize) the FC seats. When I pulled up the cost of the SAT-ATL segment they advertise next to the price "upgrade to FC for only $59".
Old Feb 13, 11, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Lackey99 View Post
As DL is trying to monetize FC it seems (at least to me) they have been holding back more seats beyond the PM window.

I'm flying DCA-ATL-SAT Monday. UG for DCA-ATL came through at 6 days. UG for ATL-SAT came through at 3 days even though half of FC was open. Flight home is Friday...same story...ATL-DCA came through yesterday (6 days). SAT-ATL (1st leg) no UG yet. Other PM and DM have said the same thing.

They are trying hard to sell (monetize) the FC seats. When I pulled up the cost of the SAT-ATL segment they advertise next to the price "upgrade to FC for only $59".
(I added the emphasis above)

Bingo... we have a winner

I reproduced your results, and more.

I will describe this further here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...light=monetize
Old Feb 13, 11, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP

If I am understanding correctly, as a PM, 3 of your 4 segments have already been given complimentary upgrades. Your complaint is not that you are not receiving upgrades, but that some of them are not given at the "6 day window."
Old Feb 13, 11, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I am only FO, but at the one-day window this morning, my itinerary did not show "upgrade requested" any longer, but instead asked me "would you like to request standby for an upgrade?" This is something new...
Old Feb 13, 11, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond

So, let me get this straight, you are looking to buy a ticket less than a week in advance....all that is available is likely Q, H and M fares and FC is only $59 more? Wow, what a news story....not. Obviously DL will try and sell P seats last minute and often the fare difference is very minimal. You are seeing the difference of Q, H or M fares and a P fare (HUP or MUP). No surprise. Let me ask you something, are you originally ticketed on an H or M fare and paying $800 each way? Why shouldn't someone be able to buy a one-way FC ticket for $800? Some of these complaints are just ridiculous....I could understand if T fares were available for $180 one-way on a flight that length and they were selling F seats for $239 one-way (your $59 price example)....that would be ridiculous but an $800 one-way ticket is a completely different story
Old Feb 13, 11, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson View Post
If I am understanding correctly, as a PM, 3 of your 4 segments have already been given complimentary upgrades. Your complaint is not that you are not receiving upgrades, but that some of them are not given at the "6 day window."
Yes...that is correct. If there are seats in FC that are not sold they should give them to elites. And yes...I understand the fine print about DL making them available by converting them to "V". However, that is not fair to a loyal elite.

The way it should work is DL sells as many FC as they can upto 5 days before the flight. Then DM/PM window opens 5 days out and, based on DL's UG order, they give out open FC seats. Any seats left over can be sold until the GM window opens (48 hrs more sell time for DL). Then they hand out GM UG's. Then they have another 48 hrs to sell until FO get's their shot. And yes...if a DM, PM, GM, or FO buys a ticket after their window opens and their are seats available they get an immediate UG.
Old Feb 13, 11, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler View Post
I could understand if T fares were available for $180 one-way on a flight that length and they were selling F seats for $239 one-way (your $59 price example)....that would be ridiculous but an $800 one-way ticket is a completely different story
I agree with you. However, after the window opened (and before my UG) the OW flight was around $300...plus $59 for FC (I believe it was an H fare).

That said...please look at my post right before this for how I feel it should work that would be fair to DL and elites.
Old Feb 13, 11, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Yes...that is correct. If there are seats in FC that are not sold they should give them to elites. And yes...I understand the fine print about DL making them available by converting them to "V". However, that is not fair to a loyal elite.

The way it should work is DL sells as many FC as they can upto 5 days before the flight. Then DM/PM window opens 5 days out and, based on DL's UG order, they give out open FC seats. Any seats left over can be sold until the GM window opens (48 hrs more sell time for DL). Then they hand out GM UG's. Then they have another 48 hrs to sell until FO get's their shot. And yes...if a DM, PM, GM, or FO buys a ticket after their window opens and their are seats available they get an immediate UG.

Are you kidding me? DL should stop selling tickets to make money and instead give you the the UG for free? You do realize they are a business and not a charity, right? They never have guaranteed that every FC seat would be available for a free UG. I totally understand what their doing, I haven't missed a single UG this year yet on mostly T fares, but if I did, I would totally understand and if it bothered me enough, I would simply choose another airline. Oh, but they all do the same thing.
Old Feb 13, 11, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
Are you kidding me? DL should stop selling tickets to make money and instead give you the the UG for free? You do realize they are a business and not a charity, right? They never have guaranteed that every FC seat would be available for a free UG. I totally understand what their doing, I haven't missed a single UG this year yet on mostly T fares, but if I did, I would totally understand and if it bothered me enough, I would simply choose another airline. Oh, but they all do the same thing.
I am not kidding you. And why does it always seem when I complain about how DL treats elites that it's suggested I can go elsewhere. I like DL and I'm not leaving. I'm simply pointing out they do not consistantly show their loyalty to their most loyal customers.

My company has many service agreement (SA) customers...loyal customers who pay for service upfront. That's pretty much what we do with DL (or at least what I do by not going for low fare every time but going on DL). If I told one of our SA customers that they had an appointment on Wednesday at 8am but I reserved the right to try to sell that time to someone willing to pay $59 or whatever I could get...how long would I have that customer??? I get it...why can't DL?

If you are happy taking whatever crumbs DL decides to give you well that's ok for you...it's not ok with me. I'm finding the value of being a DL elite is not as good as it was last year, or the year before and from what I hear/see it's getting worse...mainly due to the watering down of elite status. Again...I'm not leaving DL...I'm just disappointed and voicing my frustration.

Yes...DL's a business and deserves to make money. However, they still need to take care of their loyal elites better than they do and not try to make a few bucks at the expense of a loyal elite.
Old Feb 13, 11, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
I agree with you. However, after the window opened (and before my UG) the OW flight was around $300...plus $59 for FC (I believe it was an H fare).
How much/what fare class is your flight for this week? This is what I find on Delta.com this Monday-Friday DCA-SAT:

$709 - Q
$1699 - M
$2592 - D
$2877 - Y
$1468 - P (first)
Old Feb 13, 11, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
I am not kidding you. And why does it always seem when I complain about how DL treats elites that it's suggested I can go elsewhere. I like DL and I'm not leaving. I'm simply pointing out they do not consistantly show their loyalty to their most loyal customers.

My company has many service agreement (SA) customers...loyal customers who pay for service upfront. That's pretty much what we do with DL (or at least what I do by not going for low fare every time but going on DL). If I told one of our SA customers that they had an appointment on Wednesday at 8am but I reserved the right to try to sell that time to someone willing to pay $59 or whatever I could get...how long would I have that customer??? I get it...why can't DL?

If you are happy taking whatever crumbs DL decides to give you well that's ok for you...it's not ok with me. I'm finding the value of being a DL elite is not as good as it was last year, or the year before and from what I hear/see it's getting worse...mainly due to the watering down of elite status. Again...I'm not leaving DL...I'm just disappointed and voicing my frustration.

Yes...DL's a business and deserves to make money. However, they still need to take care of their loyal elites better than they do and not try to make a few bucks at the expense of a loyal elite.
Does your contract with DL guarantee a seat in F?

Straight from the contract DL has for Medallion upgrades

Availability:
Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability, may not be available on all flights or in all markets, and are not valid for travel to/from Hawaii, Transatlantic and Transpacific destinations. Complimentary Upgrades are not available on flights to/from South American cities that are serviced with our BusinessElite® product (i.e., Buenos Aires, Argentina; Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Lima, Peru; Caracas, Venezuela). For travel booked using a SkyMiles Companion Certificate, neither the paid primary passenger nor the companion passenger will be eligible for complimentary upgrades. We limit the seats available for use with complimentary upgrades and may not make seats available on all flights. Upgrade on Award or Pay with Miles Tickets are not eligible for complimentary Companion Upgrades.
Old Feb 13, 11, 4:46 pm

OK...Now your gonna laugh at me...

Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
How much/what fare class is your flight for this week? This is what I find on Delta.com this Monday-Friday DCA-SAT:

$709 - Q
$1699 - M
$2592 - D
$2877 - Y
$1468 - P (first)
Bought U for $470 RT 2 months ago. Boss paid $130 more for K and UG with miles.

And this will really tweak some people...YES...I expect to get the UG for my $470 rather than DL selling it to a kettle for $59.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: