Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades not automatically confirming at window

Upgrades not automatically confirming at window

Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Lackey99
And this will really tweak some people...YES...I expect to get the UG for my $470 rather than DL selling it to a kettle for $59.
DL won't sell first to a kettle for an additional $59 on their $420 fare.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by majorwibi
Does your contract with DL guarantee a seat in F?
I know DL's terms for UG's. I'm not saying they are cheating me.

My point is selling UG's for a $59 up charge after the UG window opens is a foolish business practice and shows a lack of loyalty to elites who don't;

1) price shop DL
2) mind connecting through somewhere when they can fly direct on another airline
3) mind running through ATL trying to make a 47 min connection and having the door close 10 minutes early and being told "too bad"
4) mind having their bags lost 1 of 6 flights
5) mind paying another XXX for a K fare and then ponying up 25k miles to upgrade
6) mind paying another XXXX (4 X's) for a M fare and 25K+ miles to upgrade
7) mind ponying up XXX,XXX for a FC international ticket

And all I ask in return is if they have an open seat in FC...5 days before the flight...that they UG me. Assuming of course all DM and PM in higher fares have been upgraded first.

Please do not say I should look elsewhere. I like DL and I'm not leaving DL unless this gets much worse.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And all I ask in return is if they have an open seat in FC...5 days before the flight...that they UG me.
I'm not suggesting you change airlines but what other domestic US airline does this?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
DL won't sell first to a kettle for an additional $59 on their $420 fare.
I know...but right now...at this minute...a kettle could buy a ticket on flight 1632 from SAT to ATL for $324 and pay $59 to upgrade to FC. (see below)

At the same time...a loyal PM who is stopping in ATL while others in my group are flying non-stop for less money (albeit in Y) is waiting for an UG after the UG window opened. Waah!!!

Economy (H)
$324.00
$334.70Total Price
More Price Options
Show DetailsHide Details OUTBOUND Flight
6:45am SAT 10:04am ATL Nonstop2h 19m DL 1632Upgrade Eligible
Aircraft | View Seats

Pay with Miles eligible| Enjoy First/Business Class for only $59.00 more than Economy.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:15 pm

I'm not suggesting you change airlines but what other domestic US airline does this?
None that I know of. AA does for their top elites only. If I EVER left DL it would probably be for AA. More non stop's to places I fly than DL and their FC is far superior to DL's.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't you trade your $420 ticket in for a $787.40 first class ticket? ($334.7 + 59 x 2)?

None that I know of. AA does for their top elites only.
Really? AA would give away all first class seats instead of trying to sell them??
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
None that I know of. AA does for their top elites only. If I EVER left DL it would probably be for AA. More non stop's to places I fly than DL and their FC is far superior to DL's.
Much as I love AA, it absolutely does NOT automatically upgrade top elites into empty seats at their window.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:40 pm

Why don't you trade your $420 ticket in for a $787.40 first class ticket? ($334.7 + 59 x 2)?

Really? AA would give away all first class seats instead of trying to sell them??
Already got the UG on the ATL-DCA segment at the 6 day mark. I thought about paying to UG SAT-ATL but not worth it for a 2hr flight. Plus, then I can't whine about it.

Don't know how AA does it. I do know I was 2 for 2 on $100 kiosk UG's last year on AA.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Much as I love AA, it absolutely does NOT automatically upgrade top elites into empty seats at their window.
Don't know how AA does it. I do know I was 2 for 2 on $100 kiosk UG's last year on AA.
vasnatn, Lackey99 thinks AA does what he wants DL to do. How do AA top elites get upgraded?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
No matter what DL does, not everyone is going to be happy. It's either people complaining that they aren't upgraded in advance all the time, or people complaining that they buy a ticket or change their flight after their window and don't get an upgrade while lower elites are sitting in first.

I think we have a pretty fine upgrade program around these parts as it is. Or, they can always eliminate the current schema and only apply upgrades at the gate, 5 minutes before boarding. (Something tells me that DM's and PM's may like that idea, where Silvers would loathe it. )
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
vasnatn, Lackey99 thinks AA does what he wants DL to do. How do AA top elites get upgraded?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ade-f6-j6.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...than-past.html

Two threads I found with out much difficulty searching

Looks like the grass isnt greener over in AA land
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:22 pm

My bad...that is not what I meant. In glancing at AA's program in the past I was under the impression they gave unlimited UG's to EXP when seats were available. I didn't read...and it only makes sense that they have...similar fine print as DL. I waste my time reading the policies of other FF programs.

Again...I have zero plans to leave DL and I'm actually pretty happy with DL (especially compared to other airlines). My primary concern as a DL elite is that DL only allow UG's into seats that they decide are available instead of unsold seats. Fix that one issue, which, IMO, would strengthen the loyalty of their elites and I will be a happy camper.

Wouldn't you be happy if they changed their policy?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:26 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I am not kidding you. And why does it always seem when I complain about how DL treats elites that it's suggested I can go elsewhere. I like DL and I'm not leaving.
I would venture to guess that 95% of high-level Delta elites feel the same way. Delta knows it. So why in the world would they change? They know that they have hub captives and others (like you) over a barrel. They don't need to compete on benefits. You will fly them anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't you be happy if they changed their policy?
Well sure, but I don't expect the policy to change.

I am DM and fly into SAT weekly and I've been upgraded 100% this year. ^ Will I be unhappy when my streak is broken? Yep. Do I expect it to be broken? Yep.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by fti
They don't need to compete on benefits. You will fly them anyway.
You are right...I made my choice to stick with DL two years ago and now I'm all in with them. With rollover mqm's I've got FO for next year in another month and I expect to get PM again this year.

Well sure, but I don't expect the policy to change.

I am DM and fly into SAT weekly and I've been upgraded 100% this year. ^ Will I be unhappy when my streak is broken? Yep. Do I expect it to be broken? Yep.
That's great. When I look at this trip realistically I'm already 3/4 UG and will probably get the last one. Not bad for a $470 "U" ticket. Even though DL's FC product is not superb it's a heck of a lot better than the best seat in Y...especially when it's free. I'll just have to drink extra drinks on the other segments to make up for those I miss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.