rate my sdc strategy

Old Feb 13, 11, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
rate my sdc strategy

i am GM.

on a crisp sunday morning in Las Vegas.....

sunday 6am flight las-dtw is cheeeeeep compared to alternatives later in day.

next nonstop is 945

can i sdc to a connecting itinerary starting with a 700 flight to atl or lax or a 800 flight to mem and repeat until i can get hopefully on a later n/s to dtw?

(use the sdc to a connecting itinerary to get into the 3 hr window for a later LAS-DTW n/s)

if i have to fly earlier no problem, but i can't just miss the 600 and take a chance and be SOL cuz have to get back to work

or just pay the $75 difference and sleep in
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:53 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I would pay the 75 to sleep Interesting stradegy, but it's a gamble -if seats will be available and then you missed your flight or mechanical, etc If you have to be somewhere at a certain time, I would not do it. Good luck

Last edited by MR_MAMA; Feb 13, 11 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 13, 11, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I say go for it. Life's too boring if you don't make it interesting.
Old Feb 13, 11, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
it really depends on the sunday. Some sundays are zeroed out and your SDC will not happen. If it is only 75 difference, i would honestly pay it. Really depends on the past week events and the weekend events.

I only play the SDC game if i am willing to take my original routing. So if loads are high, take the original flight.
Old Feb 13, 11, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM
I wouldn't.

I wouldn't risk it, everybody misses their 6am flight, and they get rebooked later. I went to vegas 6 times last year (thurs-sun type trips), and the sunday returns (LAS-ATL/MEM/CVG) were always impossible for an SDC, and I'm a diamond.

Pay the 75 bucks, lock it in.
Old Feb 13, 11, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by emg2919 View Post
I wouldn't risk it, everybody misses their 6am flight, and they get rebooked later. I went to vegas 6 times last year (thurs-sun type trips), and the sunday returns (LAS-ATL/MEM/CVG) were always impossible for an SDC, and I'm a diamond.

This.

Outbounds from LAS on Sunday are rough to get SDC'd to other flights.

There are almost no seats available today LAS-ATL, LAS-CVG or LAS-MEM. I would bet there are a total of 10-15 seats between the above city pairs.
Old Feb 13, 11, 8:05 am

For $75, I'd pay if you really will be screwed without the SDC. I've seen Y9 (usually meaning 9+ seats) go to Y0 in a matter of minutes about 4-5 hours before departure...
Old Feb 13, 11, 8:31 am

Programs: DL MM, Hyatt Globalist
Isn't SDC free for GM?

Be bold try to SDC: DTW-LAX-SLC-LAS-SLC-LAX-DTW.
Old Feb 13, 11, 10:53 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by emg2919 View Post

But by the time they miss the flight, the OP would already be SDC'd to a later flight - 3 hours before 7am is 4am.

Would I get up at 4am, call to save the $75 then go back to bed for a short while? Sure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: