FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   rate my sdc strategy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1183518-rate-my-sdc-strategy.html)

aubreyfromwheaton Feb 13, 2011 6:04 am

rate my sdc strategy

i am GM.

on a crisp sunday morning in Las Vegas.....

sunday 6am flight las-dtw is cheeeeeep compared to alternatives later in day.

next nonstop is 945

can i sdc to a connecting itinerary starting with a 700 flight to atl or lax or a 800 flight to mem and repeat until i can get hopefully on a later n/s to dtw?

(use the sdc to a connecting itinerary to get into the 3 hr window for a later LAS-DTW n/s)

if i have to fly earlier no problem, but i can't just miss the 600 and take a chance and be SOL cuz have to get back to work

or just pay the $75 difference and sleep in

MR_MAMA Feb 13, 2011 6:53 am

I would pay the 75 to sleep Interesting stradegy, but it's a gamble -if seats will be available and then you missed your flight or mechanical, etc If you have to be somewhere at a certain time, I would not do it. Good luck

branman1986 Feb 13, 2011 6:56 am

I say go for it. Life's too boring if you don't make it interesting.

MNAudiS4 Feb 13, 2011 7:32 am

it really depends on the sunday. Some sundays are zeroed out and your SDC will not happen. If it is only 75 difference, i would honestly pay it. Really depends on the past week events and the weekend events.

I only play the SDC game if i am willing to take my original routing. So if loads are high, take the original flight.

emg2919 Feb 13, 2011 7:39 am

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't risk it, everybody misses their 6am flight, and they get rebooked later. I went to vegas 6 times last year (thurs-sun type trips), and the sunday returns (LAS-ATL/MEM/CVG) were always impossible for an SDC, and I'm a diamond.

Pay the 75 bucks, lock it in.

majorwibi Feb 13, 2011 7:49 am

Originally Posted by emg2919 (Post 15855222)
I wouldn't risk it, everybody misses their 6am flight, and they get rebooked later. I went to vegas 6 times last year (thurs-sun type trips), and the sunday returns (LAS-ATL/MEM/CVG) were always impossible for an SDC, and I'm a diamond.

This.

Outbounds from LAS on Sunday are rough to get SDC'd to other flights.

There are almost no seats available today LAS-ATL, LAS-CVG or LAS-MEM. I would bet there are a total of 10-15 seats between the above city pairs.

nfg05 Feb 13, 2011 8:05 am

For $75, I'd pay if you really will be screwed without the SDC. I've seen Y9 (usually meaning 9+ seats) go to Y0 in a matter of minutes about 4-5 hours before departure...

skchin Feb 13, 2011 8:31 am

Isn't SDC free for GM?

Be bold try to SDC: DTW-LAX-SLC-LAS-SLC-LAX-DTW.

fti Feb 13, 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by emg2919 (Post 15855222)

But by the time they miss the flight, the OP would already be SDC'd to a later flight - 3 hours before 7am is 4am.

Would I get up at 4am, call to save the $75 then go back to bed for a short while? Sure.