Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seattle Sky Club to offer Showers in 2011

Old Feb 12, 11, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20

When the brand new Seattle's Sky Club open above South Terminal concourse gates during Summer 2011, the lounge will now include two shower rooms. The original plans (announced in Feb 2010 http://www.portseattle.org/downloads...em_7d_Supp.pdf) didn't indicate any installation of showers, however, due to a letter writing campaign by several of its members, it was apparently enough to convince the big bosses. No official opening dates have been announced but are expected to be near July.

Jiburi
Old Feb 12, 11, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Great news. Thanks for posting it.

What's interesting is that the slides back in Feb 2010 mentioned an Apr 2010 start for construction and a finish date of Dec 2011. They didn't start building the club until Dec 2010 -- so I don't see how they'll be done with it this summer.

-RM
Old Feb 12, 11, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
^^^^^^^^

this is great on so many levels.

Being Seattle based, I can now freshen up before or after long international or transcon flights. I'm often headed directly to or from work when flying, so this is huge.

More broadly, it indicates showers are more likely to be included in future plans for other clubs.

Best of all, this is a strong indication that Delta is in Seattle for the long haul (as has also been reflected by the addition of more international flying this summer).
Old Feb 12, 11, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Great news. Thanks for posting it.

What's interesting is that the slides back in Feb 2010 mentioned an Apr 2010 start for construction and a finish date of Dec 2011. They didn't start building the club until Dec 2010 -- so I don't see how they'll be done with it this summer.

-RM
+1

Look what's happening at PHL....

Bob H
Old Feb 12, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Who do we have to write a letter to to get some at MSP?
Old Feb 12, 11, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Great news! I'll be coming through SEA a few times later this year.
Old Feb 12, 11, 2:53 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe View Post
Who do we have to write a letter to to get some at MSP?
I thought the same thing. But they just renovated the MSP F Club and purposely avoided installing showers. Could have been VERY easy - there was space adjacent to the restrooms (for water and drain) but it is evident DL is mostly about cutting costs. Period.
Old Feb 12, 11, 3:13 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
MSP and SLC pls!
Old Feb 12, 11, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EP
I thought it was already common knowledge! I was there last weekend and was chatting with the lounge staff and they mentioned the showers and asked about my experience at other SkyClub showers.

They confirmed that the SEA showers would be full bathrooms (with toilets) unlike at DTW where the shower rooms just have sinks.

She asked if I often experienced wait times at other SkyClubs to use the showers.

Apparently the original renovation was going to be smaller but then Delta decided to go with a much larger new SkyClub (I want to say about 9K sq ft) so they then had space for shower rooms.
Old Feb 12, 11, 4:11 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
^^^^^^^^

this is great on so many levels.

Being Seattle based, I can now freshen up before or after long international or transcon flights. I'm often headed directly to or from work when flying, so this is huge...
Not sure how helpful this is on arrival when SEA is your final destination. When you land you have to clear immigration, and so you don't have (easy) club access. As for int'l departures, they tend to be pretty early in the day for the most part.

I guess if you are arriving in the morning from JFK or ATL and heading to work, then we've got a win.
Old Feb 12, 11, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andymo99 View Post
Not sure how helpful this is on arrival when SEA is your final destination. When you land you have to clear immigration, and so you don't have (easy) club access. As for int'l departures, they tend to be pretty early in the day for the most part.

I guess if you are arriving in the morning from JFK or ATL and heading to work, then we've got a win.
Good point. In my case, I actually had domestic arrivals in mind - if I'm leaving the east coast at 6am and arriving into Seattle late morningish, the shower at the club would be nice to have. Admittedly won't be very helpful for international though because immigration dumps you out onto the street.
Old Feb 12, 11, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
I thought that at SEA you had to reclear security in order to take the train to the main terminal (like at ATL). Has this changed or am I mistaken? If this is still the case, you would have easy access to the club.
Old Feb 12, 11, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
More broadly, it indicates showers are more likely to be included in future plans for other clubs.

Best of all, this is a strong indication that Delta is in Seattle for the long haul (as has also been reflected by the addition of more international flying this summer).
You read a whole lot more than I do into $50K of plumbing!
Old Feb 12, 11, 7:27 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Yeah I agree with 3Cforme. No showers in MSP renovation and it could easily have been included if they wanted to.
Old Feb 12, 11, 8:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Something is bound to happen with Alaska Air sooner or later ... Maybe involving DL or maybe not. Might not be bad to offer some extra perks in this market either way. With the revised larger lounge, someone at hq has their eye on SEA.

Compared to SLC or pdx, sea would make a more attractive focus city (or RJ hub, in the case of SLC) for DL in the northwest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: