Pigs in the sky club

Old Feb 11, 11, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
It must be an American thing. In Europe people put on their best clothing when going to the airport (they may have no sense of style, but that's another matter) and generally act like they know they are in a public place.
Only in the US I've seen people in their pajama, oversized pillows, laying on the floor around the gate, or taking care of their most personal toilet. Of course, shoes must go off at the earliest chance.
I mean I've seen that only in the US or whenever stranded Albanian refugees are waiting for evacuation.

Sometimes I think a nation-wide good manners campaign wouldn't be out of place. then I remind myself which sort of people we sent over here from Europe and I lose hope...
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
It must be an American thing. In Europe people put on their best clothing when going to the airport (they may have no sense of style, but that's another matter) and generally act like they know they are in a public place.
Only in the US I've seen people in their pajama, oversized pillows, laying on the floor around the gate, or taking care of their most personal toilet. Of course, shoes must go off at the earliest chance.
I mean I've seen that only in the US or whenever stranded Albanian refugees are waiting for evacuation.

Sometimes I think a nation-wide good manners campaign wouldn't be out of place. then I remind myself which sort of people we sent over here from Europe and I lose hope...
I have to completely disagree with you there (the statement that Europeans dress up to fly). I lived there for several years and I can tell you the that I have seen some pretty rough looking folks on weekend flights to/from Dublin/London from AMS. I did not see the average flyer "dress up" for any flights.
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:09 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
I have to completely disagree with you there (the statement that Europeans dress up to fly). I lived there for several years and I can tell you the that I have seen some pretty rough looking folks on weekend flights to/from Dublin/London from AMS. I did not see the average flyer "dress up" for any flights.
I blame the rise of the LCC in EU for that change.
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I thought it might be a thread complaining about pork products being offered as snacks in SkyClubs.
Complaining about pork products? What a concept.

Those of us in the south know that there's nothing like pig parts, preferably smoked, to brighten ones day.
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carybrevard View Post
Complaining about pork products? What a concept.

Those of us in the south know that there's nothing like pig parts, preferably smoked, to brighten ones day.
I am a Yank and I have a bacon air freshener in my car. I will have a large order of bacon and a side of bacon with extra bacon please.
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
I am a Yank and I have a bacon air freshener in my car. I will have a large order of bacon and a side of bacon with extra bacon please.

Now you're talking...
Old Feb 11, 11, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Forgot to mention he was talking loudly in French
Old Feb 11, 11, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewie7669 View Post
Forgot to mention he was talking loudly in French
lol
Old Feb 11, 11, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
A couple of suggestions:

1. The no cell area. (some SCs are better at enforcing it, but most will if you ask politely).

2. If you can figure out who he works for, call his boss (yes, I've done that).

3. Make a LOUD comment (so the person on the phone can hear) about his feet.

Dave
Old Feb 11, 11, 9:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by elitetraveler View Post
I would have moved after about 10 minutes. He may think he is entertaining you since you continue as his audience for two hours.
Yeah, then you have to wonder who the real idiot is
Old Feb 11, 11, 9:52 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
You need to fly through MEM more often (to pick up some good BBQ) or visit the butcher shop in Hopkins for the most awesome applewood smoked bacon...
Old Feb 12, 11, 3:46 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by thesaints View Post

I've got to disagree with you too. I live in Europe (have lived in 4 different European countries in the past 7 years) and I have found European travelers on many of my flights to be quite rude and I would say that some have not bathed in quite a while. I have been on flights where people start climbing out of their seats and over me as soon as the plane touches down - Eastern Europeans seem particularly eager to be first off and on the plane. The concept of queuing is foreign to many, except the British who are excellent at it, and I have had to "sharpen my elbows" and learn to fill my space and stand my ground and put my usual politeness aside when traveling in some european countries.
Old Feb 12, 11, 4:47 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Don't you sometimes wonder how in the world these people keep a job? Maybe he's independently wealthy..
Old Feb 12, 11, 4:52 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by baccarat0809 View Post
Oink.

Look on the bright side, at least he/she is not clippig their toe-nails.
That doesn't happen until they board and can put their nasty feet up on the bulkhead.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 12, 11 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 12, 11, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
He isn't a real pig until you hear the following phrases being yelled into the blackberry "But I am a diamond", "Why haven't you upgraded me", and "DYKWIA" in the same sentence.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: