Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PLAT early upgrade FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by Lackey99
So your "understanding of business" is to look at each transaction individually and not the overall value of a customer? Interesting. One of the oldest lessons in sales is, "Customers you win on price will also leave you on price". Again...I never have a problem if an upgrade goes to a higher status/fare. But...it is short sited on DL's part to miss seeing the bigger picture. Yes...this flight may be U but my next is on K and the next on M. They make there money on me over the year not on each flight. Heck...perhaps they lost money on me on this flight...but they will more than make it up on the next one.
I'm sorry, but as someone who actually buys the occasional I, B, M fare, you are not going to make Plat for $1000 (I'm doubting this figure entirely) with even ONE M fare purchased.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by DLNYC
I'm not going to do the math, but if you obtained PM with $1000, you're right, you probably are worth $59 on a single segment. Maybe less.

You think because you spend $1000 per YEAR Delta should sacrifice revenue from a paid upgrade to put you in F?

Reading posts like these makes me think DL should institute minimum spend thresholds in addition to mileage requirements.
Well, how can DL presently differentiate the $1000 PM from the $15000 PM? As one who is closer to the latter, I hope that my business is appreciated. No expectations of being carried to the gate on a litter carried by four red coats, but the overall experience on any airline is important to most folk.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Sometimes you never know how the upgrades will pan out.. Early December I flew SFO-MSP on a 1Sunday night to Monday 10pm red-eye as a DL Diamond albeit on a T fare. I never made the upgrade and flew out in economy.. Up until then I usually thought red-eyes were easy to net an upgrade on with my status. Glad to know DL seems to have had a cabin full of high revenue, high status passengers on a midnight flight. Hopefully that means they will add the additional routes I keep hoping for!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by GBadger
Only one way to find out... Start collecting data.

You are free to continue ignoring it and saying it doesn't exist until you've seen it with your own eyes.

Ok just to counter the vibe of this forum, and you can add this to your data:

in 2011 I'm 11/11 w/ UGs - ALL AT PM WINDOW.

Now they could have been selling UGs at the kiosks for all of my flights, but how would I know?^ OLCI for me.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
I'm sorry, but as someone who actually buys the occasional I, B, M fare, you are not going to make Plat for $1000 (I'm doubting this figure entirely) with even ONE M fare purchased.
Yes...you can make PM for $1000-$1500 if you find all the loopholes I did (thanks FT). I took two flights at a higher cost last year aimed at getting extra mqm's. Flew DCA-LGA-ORD and back on the DL shuttle to earn 3X mqm and flew through BNA to on the way to SFO for 2X mqm. I bought one K fare so I could upgrade and bought one P because it was the cheapest available.

Out of the 93,993 mqm's I "earned" last year I received 59,000 non flight mqm's. Add to that about another 10k for promo mqm's or fare class mqm's and I got about 70,000 "un-earned" mqm's last year.

I did fly 32 segements on the way to earning PM.

Oh yeah....19,000 mqm's rolled to this year so I'll be FO for next year in about a month and after only two flights.

I'm not bragging...I think it's ridiculous anyone can get GM without flying.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:01 am
Original Poster

The upgrade came though last night at the 3 day mark.

What's funny is only one seat was sold or UG in two days and I was the only one who got an UG last night. Still...make me wonder why DL wouldn't have given me the UG at the PM window?

Thanks for letting me vent while waiting.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Well, how can DL presently differentiate the $1000 PM from the $15000 PM? As one who is closer to the latter, I hope that my business is appreciated. No expectations of being carried to the gate on a litter carried by four red coats, but the overall experience on any airline is important to most folk.
They can't, and that's unfortunate. I just find it ironic that the OP was going on about what they are entitled to, when it fact OP is worth little to Delta. OP got there fair and square, but it seems ridiculous to demand DL reserve upgrades for the OP when the OP readily admits he or she hardly spends a dime with Delta.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:43 am
Original Poster

I just find it ironic that the OP was going on about what they are entitled to, when it fact OP is worth little to Delta. OP got there fair and square, but it seems ridiculous to demand DL reserve upgrades for the OP when the OP readily admits he or she hardly spends a dime with Delta.
In the end...amost all of us individually are only worth a dime to DL. Directly I am clearly worth a dime (or less). But I figured my indirect value is I steered at least $100k in travel to DL this year ($25k so far this year) through my company. That's got to be worth at least a quarter. Do I need to explain future value/lifetime value? I have about 160k lifetime miles on DL over the last 5 years and I fly more every year. My goal is million miler. That means 850k more miles on DL in my lifetime.

As to what I'm entitiled to...if you tell me I will (or should) get something if I do something you better deliver or I will call you on it. And yes...I feel DL should not hold back 8 of 16 seats 5 days out when they have only sold 2 up to that point and one was to my boss who bought K and upgraded. We are not talking about a popular route...this is ATL-SAT. I bet the plane is 1/2 filled with people going to the same conference I am.

Finally...offering UG's for $59-$100 to non elites??? It has been made clear DL is trying to monitize FC and I have no problem with that. But doing it at $59-$100 makes poor business sense if you are pissing off loyal customers to squeeze an extra penny.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Ok just to counter the vibe of this forum, and you can add this to your data:

in 2011 I'm 11/11 w/ UGs - ALL AT PM WINDOW.

Now they could have been selling UGs at the kiosks for all of my flights, but how would I know?^ OLCI for me.
Thanks.

Unfortunately that's not the information I'm looking for, but I'm glad that your upgrades are coming that easily. The only way to even start getting at whether upgrades are being sold at the kiosk is to be on or know someone on the upgrade waitlist, and to track their position carefully as well as the number of seats available, within 2-3 hours of the flight. Even then it's not foolproof, but it's a start.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
duplicate post

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Feb 11, 2011 at 9:02 am
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
... but it's a start.
No not really.

For example let’s take a look at two possible posts from the same event.

Example 1:
I can’t believe how DL is treating it’s best customers. I recently used a SWU and booked on a K fare for a LAS-ATL flight. Everyone here claims that a DM using a SWU is at the top of the upgrade list. Well let me tell you that is not true. I didn’t clear at any of the windows and watched expertflyer the last seven days as the F9 dropped each day. Coming into the night before the flight, there were 4 seats left. By the time I got to the gate there were no seats left to upgrade to. There were 113 people on the upgrade list (13 of which were DM and over 30 that were PM’s) and not a single person cleared the upgrade list. Something stinks and I’m not going to fly DL any more as this is no way to treat your BEST customers.

Example 2:
Flew a morning flight from LAS to ATL a couple of weeks ago using a SWU on a K fare as a DM. Watched with interest as the days pasted wondering if a DM using a SWU was really at the top of the upgrade list as I did not clear at any window. The night before I was sure to get the upgrade as there were four seats left. Not to be. I arrived at the gate and chatted with the gate agent. I was number on the list and he confirmed that I would be because I was using the SWU. There were 113 people on the upgrade list (13 of which were DM and over 30 that were PM’s) and not a single person cleared the upgrade list. Having jokingly explained that I had been a gate agent for a day and could tell if he was pulling a shenanigan he showed me the screen with seat assignments. Every single person seated in First was on a F or A fare. The last four seats had gone to purchased F customers from the JFK flight the night before that had canceled. He did say I could wait and board last since I had no carry on, but everybody showed up. Moral of story if you want to fly first sometimes you have to pay for it……

This was in fact a real event and I was the guy who was first on the list. Post here are often made with an agenda in mind and you will never know the truth unless you have access to the DL systems. Just look at this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15842453-post21.html from some who made some very poor assumptions.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by delraybusinesstraveler
I have a better one, I just looked at the upgrade list on my flight Tom morning. I'm #1 out of 19 with 7 still open in First
Seats on the seat map open (not reliable if people haven't picked seats), or availability in KMS or EF (more reliable)?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
No not really.

For example let’s take a look at two possible posts from the same event.

Example 1:
I can’t believe how DL is treating it’s best customers. I recently used a SWU and booked on a K fare for a LAS-ATL flight. Everyone here claims that a DM using a SWU is at the top of the upgrade list. Well let me tell you that is not true. I didn’t clear at any of the windows and watched expertflyer the last seven days as the F9 dropped each day. Coming into the night before the flight, there were 4 seats left. By the time I got to the gate there were no seats left to upgrade to. There were 113 people on the upgrade list (13 of which were DM and over 30 that were PM’s) and not a single person cleared the upgrade list. Something stinks and I’m not going to fly DL any more as this is no way to treat your BEST customers.

Example 2:
Flew a morning flight from LAS to ATL a couple of weeks ago using a SWU on a K fare as a DM. Watched with interest as the days pasted wondering if a DM using a SWU was really at the top of the upgrade list as I did not clear at any window. The night before I was sure to get the upgrade as there were four seats left. Not to be. I arrived at the gate and chatted with the gate agent. I was number on the list and he confirmed that I would be because I was using the SWU. There were 113 people on the upgrade list (13 of which were DM and over 30 that were PM’s) and not a single person cleared the upgrade list. Having jokingly explained that I had been a gate agent for a day and could tell if he was pulling a shenanigan he showed me the screen with seat assignments. Every single person seated in First was on a F or A fare. The last four seats had gone to purchased F customers from the JFK flight the night before that had canceled. He did say I could wait and board last since I had no carry on, but everybody showed up. Moral of story if you want to fly first sometimes you have to pay for it……

This was in fact a real event and I was the guy who was first on the list. Post here are often made with an agenda in mind and you will never know the truth unless you have access to the DL systems. Just look at this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15842453-post21.html from some who made some very poor assumptions.
I think you would be amazed at looking at the passenger logs how many people flying to/from Las Vegas are booked in F, P, A or G on weekends. Heck, I think PMs and DMs would be shocked to see how many of them there are out there as well. SFO/SJC-MSP on Business travel days is full of F, P, and Y fares as well as 15-20 DMs, 20 PMs, etc...obviously FC doesn't have 60 seats so many are going to be in the back.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Piedmont....I LOVE YOU!

Be careful, though. Don't hit them with the facts here. The conspiracies are so much-more juicy!

If you want F, Pay F.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:43 am

another dupe post....

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Feb 12, 2011 at 10:56 am Reason: another dupe post......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.