Wiki Posts
Search

PLAT early upgrade FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TTT
Isn't the offer at check-in the difference in fare - not really a small co-pay?

I don't think so. I was traveling with a friend a few weeks ago and she was offered an upgrade for $75 MSP-SEA. She was on a U fare that was about $369.00 (I paid). If that were the difference that would say that a OW FC fare MSP to SEA is $184.50. I think this was part of the new pilot program and I think they are "fishing" to see what most think is "reasonable". $75 was reasonable for a person with no status for sure.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Plats on higher fares are ahead of you.

David
Don't think so...the DL AMEX Reserve puts me ahead of all PM except PM on higher fare with Reserve. Confirmed that with DL this morning. She was also suprised they held back 1/2 the seats.

Are they really selling UG's for $100 at check-in before clearing UG list??? I have not seen that yet on DL...just on AA. I have seen them sell UG's at the gate after clearing UG list...however...I've only seen one person buy an UG.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lackey99
Don't think so...the DL AMEX Reserve puts me ahead of all PM except PM on higher fare with Reserve. Confirmed that with DL this morning. She was also suprised they held back 1/2 the seats.

Are they really selling UG's for $100 at check-in before clearing UG list??? I have not seen that yet on DL...just on AA. I have seen them sell UG's at the gate after clearing UG list...however...I've only seen one person buy an UG.
I have seen it first hand at a Kiosk several hours before the flight. The problem is you will never know at the gate that they were sold. If you pay attention to the UG list you can see seats go away and the pecking order stays the same. I have seen that a bunch of times as well and just figured it was an IROP or SDC. I am starting to watch that carefully now...we all should.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Don't think so...the DL AMEX Reserve puts me ahead of all PM except PM on higher fare with Reserve. Confirmed that with DL this morning.
That's contrary to what I've seen...The Reserve is a tiebreak within fare class to the best of my knowledge.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattsteg
That's contrary to what I've seen...The Reserve is a tiebreak within fare class to the best of my knowledge.
Sorry...looks like you are 100% correct. I have been mislead. Even worse I have a U ticket. Now I'm worried.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I have seen it first hand at a Kiosk several hours before the flight. The problem is you will never know at the gate that they were sold. If you pay attention to the UG list you can see seats go away and the pecking order stays the same. I have seen that a bunch of times as well and just figured it was an IROP or SDC. I am starting to watch that carefully now...we all should.
I have never seen it at a Kiosk, only at the gate and even then normally only for M or higher (sometimes K or higher). Offering an UG at the Kiosk is dirty pool...that really waters down the value of elite status even further.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:55 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Sorry...looks like you are 100% correct. I have been mislead. Even worse I have a U ticket. Now I'm worried.
Unfortunately, in general, Delta phone reps are a bad source of reliable information.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never seen it at a Kiosk, only at the gate and even then normally only for M or higher (sometimes K or higher). Offering an UG at the Kiosk is dirty pool...that really waters down the value of elite status even further.
I think you will find that there have been scattered reports of this and the difference from paid UGs of the past is that they are not YBM. I am still waiting to see how it shakes out. If DL doesn't get greedy and try to get anything for the seat it will be fine. If the UG is $100+ most people wont do it. IF however they start to ratchet it down (read: give the say-so to Rev Management) and get whatever they can then we will have a real problem. It is supposed to go "live" for reals in April so we shall see.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GBadger
Maybe, but Sunday I'm flying DTW-SFO and there are still 6 seats open on the A320 with no advance upgrade for this DM.
Ever consider the possibility that your flight has 7 more DMs on it? Sunday evening DTW-SFO typically has a lot on it plus people that are on full Y fares or B fares.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Cancel your Reserve card and write AMEX and tell them why you are cancelling. Switch your paid travel to another carrier, write Anderson and tell him why you are switching and the amount of lost business.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm sort of just ranting...however...It's important they give me the free UG I earned by being loyal to DL to the point I have earned PM instead of holding back 1/2 the seats in the absurd hope of selling them. What's funny is I got the UG for the DCA-ATL segement which I thought would be the harder UG of the two.
No they will just sell WNUP fares for probably 100 more than you paid and they will get upgraded to FC. So day of flight you will go from 6 down to 1 or 2 seats.

Good Luck
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
DL also has Y fares come up last min from cancellations. This past Monday morning I was re-routed through ATL to get to DFW after my flight to MEM was cancelled. I'm a lowly SM but with the cancellation and rebooking came a Y fare and UG on a 757 with 82 on the UG list (many of whom I assume were DM).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
How often are there short-notice equipment changes? Could it be that DL is holding back on UG's in case they choose/need to fly a smaller aircraft? I lost my exit row seat on my Monday flight due to a change of metal.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
DL routinely holds back 16 out of 16 seats on the SFO-JFK until boarding time. Why any surprise they are holding back half the cabin 5 days out ? Get used to it and after all who cares ? The only really important thing is that the upgrade is there when I pass the scanner.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
If that were the difference that would say that a OW FC fare MSP to SEA is $184.50.
More like $259.50
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints
DL routinely holds back 16 out of 16 seats on the SFO-JFK until boarding time. Why any surprise they are holding back half the cabin 5 days out ? Get used to it and after all who cares ? The only really important thing is that the upgrade is there when I pass the scanner.

More like $259.50
Yes I forgit to add the $75. Stlill seems very low for a FC fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.